Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Style
    newb at BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Where to learn effective self-defense with knife?

First time on this website, just registered. Came here because I don't want to be referred to some traditional knife fighting style that is, well, bullshido.

I live in Orange County, CA. If I am interested in learning how to defend myself using a knife, where would I learn that? I know that it is not substitute for knowing how to fight (I'm training in BJJ and hope to do striking at some point), and is something that can easily land someone in prison if used inappropriately. Thanks for your thoughtful responses.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Basic Tech ----------> YMAS for beating and stabbing dead horses, looking outside BJJ for self defense, jail, TMA hate, and California.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    newb at BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Basic Tech ----------> YMAS for beating and stabbing dead horses, looking outside BJJ for self defense, jail, TMA hate, and California.
    Hi, I didn't really understand your post. And I don't know YMAS stands for.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flounce View Post
    Hi, I didn't really understand your post. And I don't know YMAS stands for.
    You posted in the wrong section of the forum so he moved the thread

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Basic Tech = Basic and Misc. Fighting Technique Discussion
    YMAS= Your Martial Art Sucks

Both are subforums. Basic Tech is for serious questions about the technical aspects of basic Martial Arts and YMAS is for discussing common tropes, topics discussed to death, and other such tired ideas like "street vs sport", "style vs style", "How Do Knife Fighting", and "How Do Self Defense".

What style do you think is going to better prepare you do a knife attack? I am 100% sure you already have something in mind? Why not share your idea?
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    judo hiatus
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't believe there are sufficient real world scenarios where fighting with a knife is a reasonable option to make it worth pursuing from a self defense perspective. Legally and practically, if the threat is dire enough to warrant a lethal response, a firearm is obviously superior. Even if a firearm is not a legal option, knife fighting against an armed opponent is so hazardous that I'm at a loss imagining where compliance or flight are not the clear choices.

I'm not versed in the use of a knife, my understanding is that Dog Brothers is the ideal route to pursue. You will note how blunt they are (pun intended) in their assessment of the feasibility of prevailing in a knife fight though.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would suggest the track. <Seriously.

What part of Orange County do you live in. I know it may be an hour drive but if you'd cruise over to the Dan Inasanto Academy or contact them and see if any of their instructors are in the area. I would say that would be your next best bet.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    That is exactly what you don't want to see.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I would suggest the track. <Seriously.

What part of Orange County do you live in. I know it may be an hour drive but if you'd cruise over to the Dan Inasanto Academy or contact them and see if any of their instructors are in the area. I would say that would be your next best bet.
    ^^Quoted for truth.

If defense against knives is really all that you are looking at a martial art for I suggest you save yourself the monthly club fees and invest that money in a good pair of running shoes and some knife resistant clothing I personally think these guys are the best bang for your buck:
    http://www.ppss-group.com/

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last