Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
    Style
    MMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

CIA Report on Ninjas

There are, no doubt, some of you who think of the US government as a bloated, incompetent bureaucracy full of self-important hacks who gobble resources while contributing nothing.
    Let me add some fuel that fire with this, honest to god, CIA report on Ninjas.

https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-study-of-intelligence/kent-csi/vol9no2/html/v09i2a06p_0001.htm

Here are some choice quotes:
    "The Ninja had the secret of gunpowder before it was generally known in Japan. They developed wooden cannons, designed grenades and time bombs, mounted incendiaries on arrows, and tipped arrows with leaf-like ends to scatter the fire. As anti-personnel weapons against their soft-shod enemies they scattered sharp-pointed nuts, iron tripods with needle points, and solid pyramids of metal which would fall upright."

"
    The mystical elements of ninjutsu, largely from the Shingon sect, took the form of secret hand signs and murmured formulas. The art of invisibility and transformation is also put in mystical terms. Shugendo, the mountain ascetic creed, says, "Conceive that you are a stone." If you believe you are a stone, then you are. It is much like becoming one with Buddha. When the Ninja is surrounded by enemies and has no place to escape, he shortens his breath, shrinks himself as small as a stone and conceives he is a stone. The enemy cannot find him."

The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If Trump reads this... we will nuke Japan. Again.

Style
    Judo and HEMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, so I can sort of forgive the CIA, as in actual modern spies, having a report on legendary historical spies.
    What I cannot forgive is that the report is so BAD. Poorly sourced, just wrong in some things, and far to indulgent when it does attempt to criticize.
    What REALLY makes me laugh though, is that this was originally a CONFIDENTIAL report that has since been declassified. I really hope that our intelligence professionals do a better job of researching now, but I don't have any faith that this is the case.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the same CSI volume (https://www.cia.gov/library/center-f...nt-csi/vol9no2)

Now this is some interesting stuff.

The Okhrana's Female Agents: Part I: Russian Women
    https://www.cia.gov/library/center-f...2a04p_0001.htm

Style
    MMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AcerTempest View Post
    Ok, so I can sort of forgive the CIA, as in actual modern spies, having a report on legendary historical spies.
    What I cannot forgive is that the report is so BAD. Poorly sourced, just wrong in some things, and far to indulgent when it does attempt to criticize.
    What REALLY makes me laugh though, is that this was originally a CONFIDENTIAL report that has since been declassified. I really hope that our intelligence professionals do a better job of researching now, but I don't have any faith that this is the case.
    And keep in mind, this was written in 2007, six years in to the war on terror, when intelligence gathering was supposedly the forefront of our national priorities.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CIA: finds a on the run for 10 years who perpetrated and masterminded thousands of deaths. Essentially found somone who didnt want to be found.

Cannot find correct info on a topic that has been studied for decades and is in no way secretive or hard to find.

Tax payer money well spent.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    And keep in mind, this was written in 2007, six years in to the war on terror, when intelligence gathering was supposedly the forefront of our national priorities.
    The top of the report says 93, which would be right at the peak of the ninja scare.

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    The top of the report says 93, which would be right at the peak of the ninja scare.
    Makes sense.

They were basing their ninja research on Sho Kosugi.

That's totally what I would have done.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    Makes sense.

They were basing their ninja research on Sho Kosugi.

That's totally what I would have done.
    I wonder if there's a special Ninja Movie Intelligence Unit patch, and where I can get one.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The level of general ignorance about martial arts in general was huge in the 90s, compared to today, where it is still bad.

I had a guy yesterday jokingly tell me he "knows I do karate-kung fu stuff", but if he ever got his hands on me I'd be done. I agreed with him, of course...

Had another guy tell me he knows an FBI agent who is an aikido black belt. Was totally impressed with the guy, claims he is "real deal" aikido based on trying to take the agent down one time...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last