Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Style
    Shotokan, San Soo etc
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Machida style Shotokan Karate and MMA

I'm a huge Lyoto Machida fan, he's the one that rekindled my interest in traditional martial arts and is the reason why I train Shotokan now. I bought is his DVD instructional set and love it. I love how he teaches karatekas how to use traditional kumite techniques in continuous sparring/full contact/MMA type matches.

We are seeing more and more traditional Karate fighters make their way in full contact competition. Raymond Daniels, Stephen Thompson, Justin Scoggins, Gunnar Nelson (his striking), and to a lesser extent Michael Page (he's Lau Gar gongfu I believe). However he fights very western Karate like.

Any other traditional karate practitioners happy about this?

Im aware of Kyokushin and love it as well. Never trained in it though sadly. Countless kick boxing champions and MMA fighters have a background in it. I think it made its way into full contact before other Okinawan Karate styles because it's own style kumite is full contact and the conditioning is insane!

Ive also got Raymond Daniels sparring instructional series and really like it as well. I don't think his style though would work in the traditional JKA kumite I compete in, still fun to learn though. When I return to America I could definitely use JKA type kumite and Raymond Daniels type Kumite in freestyle TMA continuous sparring/point fighting competitions.

Sorry i rambled on way too long. Have no one to really talk to about this here in china.

Style
    Shotokan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like what Machida and others have done to bring TMA to the MMA scene. I've yet to pick up his videos, but I practice a relatively hard contact version of Shotokan that owes a bit to Machida. I start my classes with a series of warm-ups that includes some conditioning I've cribbed from both Goju-ryu and Kyokushin to augment Shotokan kihon. Now that I'm in my mid-40s I definitely can't bang away four nights a week and still get to work in one piece the next day like I could 20 years ago, but I do think there is value in pressure-testing your training whatever your age, skill level or level of commitment/competition.

I'm not familiar with Raymond Daniels, but I'll chek him out.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best way to make karate better is to remove the kata from it.

Style
    KARATE-BJJ-MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    The best way to make karate better is to remove the kata from it.
    Not just karate.

Style
    Shotokan, San Soo etc
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kata is great exercise and is part of the culture of TMA, why remove it?

I don't think any serious karate stylist thinks good kata automatically equals good kumite.

Style
    KARATE-BJJ-MMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem is that kata, instead of a tool, has become a crutch.

I know many people who seize onto kata to hide from the more practical aspects. I have seen it become worse and worse over the last three decades.

As I posted before, I was recently present at a local school where a black belt test involved presenting ELEVEN kata and NO KUMITE. Not even point-sparring. No kumite at all. And this was not an elderly practitioner, but rather a guy in his 30s. The only thing resembling practical stuff was a short two-man free-motion drill where only a specifically defined two-punch combo was allowed. I was the one who did it with the prospective black belt and handed him his *ss without even trying despite being over a decade older and severely overweight.

And this was not a marginal school. It is the local representative of the well-known Murayama ShitoRyu organization. The teacher is a fourth dan with decades of experience. But no kumite. Not a single one of his students knows how to defend even a standing choke or hold. No one ever does anything more than point kumite drills at best. Not even running-point kumite.

Meanwhile, green and blue belts who cannot do the Heian series that well are being taught Paiku and Heiku kata for competitions.

The guy who got his black belt that day (despite my grumblings, but alas, not my school, and I am not a teacher) quickly quit the school afterwards and is now training in BJJ at the school of someone I know. That is quite telling. I think he was embarrassed by how I basically played with him during the test and realized that he could not do crap.

So the kata-centered model is actually running people out of karate.
    Last edited by ksennin; 7/08/2017 10:23am at .

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure I buy the "kata is great exercise" trope. Its okay exercise. This is coming from a guy witb a decade of low stance kung fu. When you compare it to other forms of "great exercise", its mediocre.

And now I'll wait to be told that I was doing it wrong all those years.

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I'm not sure I buy the "kata is great exercise" trope. Its okay exercise. This is coming from a guy witb a decade of low stance kung fu. When you compare it to other forms of "great exercise", its mediocre.

And now I'll wait to be told that I was doing it wrong all those years.
    I would say it depends on the kata. Sanchin with gallon jars full of water is really fucking hard.

Style
    KARATE-BJJ-MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My daughter keeps coming back from the kata-filled class with a perfectly dry gi. She basically does not sweat enough for it to be noticeable. If I keep her after class and do ten minutes of drills with me, she works up a sweat.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One JKD practicioner and Joe Lewis follower (Jerry Beasley) once wrote that Kata was something you did when you had no one available to practice with.

I think that's a slight exaggeration, but not by much. The problem is that kata are relatively easy to teach to a large class, contain lots of material, and help format and support a ranking system. So they tend to take over classical systems.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last