Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

More Shou Shu Bullshido mastery

I feel like giving myself a shoe shoe style kick to the groin for ever signing my daughter up for this baloney.

First my background. As a teen I did some boxing and wrestling, later learned military hand to hand combat which had just started emphasis on grappling and submission techniques which led to an interest in mixed martial arts and BJJ. This was back when MMA was still getting its legs here in the US and I fondly remember the excitement of a new VHS of the UFC, or even Japanese wrestling with Bas Ruten and others arriving in the barracks I first got a taste of TKD doing PT with Korean soldiers. I though it was a ton of fun. After leaving service I became great friends with the owner of a TKD studio, he was such a great instructor, humble enough to know the shortcomings of his own art and seek out remedies for those shortcomings. He ran an excellent school with little emphasis on belts and rotated the themes of his classes day to day. Some days were traditional TKD, self defense the next, then competition and conditioning. To satisfy his own ambitions he hired outside BJJ instructors to teach us all twice a week, and he'd line up with his white belt just like the rest of us despite owning the joint, something you'd never see these shoe shoe bragarts do. I spent several years at this wonderful place. I faired average in competition, but was in great shape as physical fitness was a major emphasis for my friend and his dojang. I was so happy it never occurred to me that there would need to be a forum like this to expose BS martial arts.

Family, life, and a few moves later and I find myself with a wife and kids in central California, fat old, happily reminiscent of my time as a martial artist, the value it brought to my life, cheering wildly on the rare occasion I see some high level BJJ on a PPV.

My youngest daughter is an awkward kid, artistic, smart, but socially inept and disinclined to athletic activity. So of course I was super excited to hear she has a friend who does "karate" and that she was interested in joining. She goes with her friend, tries it, likes it, so I don't hesitate to sign her up. It seems expensive, but heck I think, compared to the money we spend on the other kids sports it isn't that much more, and we are in CA everything is expensive here. So I sign her up.

Well the bullshido alarms start going off after a few weeks when I finally got around to watching one of her classes. I hadn't before then because she loved riding with her friend. Holy cow, I know it's a kids class, but I couldn't figure anything of what they were doing out. I watched kids get hurt because simple techniques like making a fist were not being taught well. Ground fighting? Nope, none. Sparring? Nope, too dangerous with their hardcore moves. Competition? Yes, once a year, only their schools allowed because it looks like these kids will get the crap kicked out of them if they got stuck competing with anything other than bad shoe shite karate.

And don't get me started on the physical fitness aspect, some of their instructors were clearly out of shape, like fatter than me! And the adults and teens showing up after the kids were faring no better.

And yes, a heavy sprinkling of mystical energies and forces.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a silly made up martial art of mystical origins flourishes in a podunk area like the central valley.

Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty **** dilemma your in. Pull your daughter out of something she likes for something practical or leave her to have fun with useless crap. Maybe take her for a 'treat' to a bjj class since she likes martial arts now. If she has a ton of fun then leaving the bullshit dojo will be easy.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How old is she?

Style
    Pumping iron
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravbizarre View Post
    Pretty **** dilemma your in. Pull your daughter out of something she likes for something practical or leave her to have fun with useless crap. Maybe take her for a 'treat' to a bjj class since she likes martial arts now. If she has a ton of fun then leaving the bullshit dojo will be easy.
    About as tough a dilemma as forcing your kid to eat vegetables instead of candy. "It's what's best for you, you'll thank me when you grow up."
    Last edited by Tranquil Suit; 3/21/2017 7:47pm at .
    go to http://www.bullshido.net/forums/prof...do=editoptions > under Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Style
    Bjj
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    About as tough a dilemma as forcing your kid to eat vegetables instead of candy. "It's what's best for you, you'll thank me when you grow up."
    Different situation bro. If your kid wanted to learn how to fight id agree what you say is 100% bang on. But the op mentioned his girl is awkward and not really into sports.

This is a possitive way to get her body moving and meet other kids, sure you could take her to do something else but if she hates it she may give up all together.

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    While I'm inclined to go this route I wonder at the long term implications. For example all my friends who grew up being forced to play the piano haven't touched the instrument in years. I got an electric guitar as a gift at 16 and decades later I still play daily. There's no doubt the piano is a more refined and useful (certainly for composition) instrument and I've since learned some, but I don't think I would have stuck with music if I started on piano.

Krav sums it up pretty well, and I'd hate to saddle an instructor and class with an unenthusiastic student as well.

Chen, my daughter is 8.

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravbizarre View Post
    I think I will try the soft sell on it to her. You know, convince her she wants to learn something more worthwhile. She has expressed some interest in wanting to see some real fights, and with women's MMA growing in popularity it might be cool for her to see legit full contact practitioners at work. Then again it might be too brutal and turn her off.

And I'm not going to lie, as a parent I'd love to see her compete in martial arts in some way, grappling, forms, foot tag, I don't care...well maybe anything but XMA.

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    8 is too early to be worried about whether the training is effective. If you don't want to fund a cult-like fake martial art, transter into judo or gymnastics or TKD or whatever. If she wants to pick up a combat art in 4 or so years, she'll be able to see the difference.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Effective or not wouldn't be my concearn as much as opposed to her being in an enviroment where mythical thinking is encouraged.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Effective or not wouldn't be my concearn as much as opposed to her being in an enviroment where mythical thinking is encouraged.
    Long term, for sure, as for now, she's 8. Her peers haven't reached a consensus on the Santa Claus debate. If it would be socially upsetting to pull her out, that's an adequate excuse to continue.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last