Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. #11
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,523
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin g View Post
    Someone that practices karate or tae kwon do their entire life is a *****? Even if they also train in judo, condition regularly and spar? I guess we disagree.
    Nobody cares Ninja.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    7,329
    Style
    Prying Mantis Kung-f, SBD
    Someone that practices karate or tae kwon do their entire life is a *****?
    Yes.

    Even if they also train in judo, condition regularly and spar?
    Still yes.

  3. #13
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,230
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin g View Post
    Someone that practices karate or tae kwon do their entire life is a *****?
    mostly... I mean they could be disabled.
    Even if they also train in judo, condition regularly and spar? I guess we disagree.
    Why would someone train in TKD or karate or bujinkan taijitsu or wing chun when they actually train in something useful? Stop being silly dude.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    533
    Style
    Muay Thai
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    mostly... I mean they could be disabled.

    Why would someone train in TKD or karate or bujinkan taijitsu or wing chun when they actually train in something useful? Stop being silly dude.
    I did Aikido and Muay Thai for a while.

  5. #15
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,230
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandem View Post
    I did Aikido and Muay Thai for a while.
    Stop halping yo.


    ...


    But seriously OP,
    Do what you think is fun. Just don't get twisted about what is going to improve your current skillset. TKD is NOT going to improve most amatuer kickboxers skillsets for kickboxing. The techniques and strategies are completely different and not compatible. Hence my confusion at your claims and your posts that you have been boxing training Muay Thai for five years and suddenly think TKD is going to help you kick better... that is actually silly.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    32
    Style
    Bujinkan, Judo
    TDK will definitely help you kick better, but maybe not like a Thai fighter, and that's fine. You can study Boxing with Muay Thai or Karate with Tae Kwon Do, if that's what you like. Professional fighters are able to cross-train BJJ with Kyokushin or Judo with Sambo or Muay Thai with Wrestling, there's no reason you can't cross Muay Thai with TKD.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Cold, Wet and Miserable
    Posts
    203
    Style
    Punch and Grab
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin g View Post
    TDK will definitely help you kick better, but maybe not like a Thai fighter.
    Yeah, it will teach you to tappy-tap-tap with your foot, which will result in you breaking it the first time it gets checked in a MT sparring session that you forgot to bring shin pads to.

    Just a totally hypothetical scenario about how training in a particular skill set that is extremely limited may adversely affect more full contact style training.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    3
    Sorry guys, I think I've just caused a lot of confusion here. Let me try again.
    Basically, I have been doing American kickboxing for over 5 years, several times a week (I only do Muay Thai or boxing once every few weeks at my friend's gym). My reasoning for wanting to join a TKD club was that with their bigger emphasis on kicking and different kicks which we tend not to do - and work my way up the belt system. I thought that this would help me improve and give me a wider range of striking tools as I do like throwing kicks. This was further reinforced by a couple of TKD guys (3rd dans) who have joined our kickboxing club and they both have commented on how their hand combat has improved as they have been able to add boxing combinations, hooks, uppercuts etc into their overall martial arts skillset even though they obviously can't take it back to their TKD club.
    Now, my main point was that I absolutely appreciate patterns are an important part of TKD and I'd like to learn them, but the last couple of sessions have been almost all patterns and I was wondering if that is typical of ITF clubs or would WTF generally be more balanced because I would struggle to stick with a club/art where I literally don't come close to breaking a sweat. I'm not in any way, shape or form saying that any martial art is better than the other.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    7,329
    Style
    Prying Mantis Kung-f, SBD
    1
    I'm not in any way, shape or form saying that any martial art is better than the other.
    Some martial arts are indeed better than others. Kickboxing is better than Taekwondo.

    Also, as I said before, WTF would be WORSE.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    32
    Style
    Bujinkan, Judo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bar Humbug View Post
    Yeah, it will teach you to tappy-tap-tap with your foot, which will result in you breaking it the first time it gets checked in a MT sparring session that you forgot to bring shin pads to.

    Just a totally hypothetical scenario about how training in a particular skill set that is extremely limited may adversely affect more full contact style training.
    Or, you might bend your lower leg back 90 degrees because you thought you had indestructible Thai legs, like Silva did. While there are TKD schools teaching tappy low-highs for points rather than a KO, there are guys that can take a head off with more power and speed than other kicking arts.

    So, while Muay Thai might have knees and better leg kicks, cross-training with TKD will only improve your roundhouse kicks, side kicks, hook and spin kicks. Likewise, Muay Thai has elbows and Boxing doesn't, but having a Boxing background will only help your Muay Thai, not hurt it. Boxers have better hands.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in