Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... Last
  1. #1
    2

    Marvel's Iron Fist Discussion



    Thoughts on this? I'm four episodes in so far. The story's much better than the fight scenes.

    There's a lot of controversy about them not retconning Danny Rand as an Asian, but at least they could have cast a martial artist.

    What do you think?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    24,416
    Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Will binge watch tonight, and lend some input.

  3. #3
    Bneterasedmynam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    4,912
    1
    Hahahahahaha I just love the argument over them not casting an Asian, because you know only Asians do martial arts and they absolutely invented it.

    Although I do at least think they could have cast an actual martial artist.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    24,416
    Style
    Chinese Boxing
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post


    Thoughts on this? I'm four episodes in so far. The story's much better than the fight scenes.

    There's a lot of controversy about them not retconning Danny Rand as an Asian, but at least they could have cast a martial artist.

    What do you think?
    Anybody who has complained to me about Danny Rand not being Asian, I simply tell them to go read the fucking comic books.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Anybody who has complained to me about Danny Rand not being Asian, I simply tell them to go read the fucking comic books.
    The argument that was put to me was that since so many Asian-based stories have featured Caucasians playing the role of White Savior, this was an opportunity to correct that.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    24,416
    Style
    Chinese Boxing
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    The argument that was put to me was that since so many Asian-based stories have featured Caucasians playing the role of White Savior, this was an opportunity to correct that.
    These stories need to be organic. Stop trying to force story lines that just don't work. Amadeus Cho was great as his own character not as Hulk. Shang Chi is good as his own character not as a new Iron Man.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    7,332
    Style
    Prying Mantis Kung-f, SBD
    12
    There's a lot of controversy about them not retconning Danny Rand as an Asian, but at least they could have cast a martial artist.
    They want Marvel to be more progressive by casting an Asian in one of the most stereotypical fucking roles for Asians?

    Anyway, here's how I think this controversy evolved into what it is:

    Bloggers: Look at this! Marvel is whitewashing one of their most prominent Asian characters!

    Comic Book Fans: Actually, Danny Rand has always been a cracker.

    Bloggers: Um... Well, they should cast him as Asian anyway. For... Reasons.

  8. #8
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,244
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    They want Marvel to be more progressive by casting an Asian in one of the most stereotypical fucking roles for Asians?

    Anyway, here's how I think this controversy evolved into what it is:

    Bloggers: Look at this! Marvel is whitewashing one of their most prominent Asian characters!

    Comic Book Fans: Actually, Danny Rand has always been a cracker.

    Bloggers: Um... Well, they should cast him as Asian anyway. For... Reasons.
    Sounds about like what went down.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Heimat
    Posts
    4,182
    Style
    Judo
    -1


    Listen, I'll weigh in on this one briefly.

    There is plenty of opportunity for diversity in this show. Diversity is a major theme of the story: the acceptance and grace of "outsiders" is central to the character. Danny is not there to save the Asians; he's saved by Asians, and he returns that favor in servitude, to all the people represented by Kun Lun, but especially his master Kei Lung, the Thunderer.

    In fact, that's exactly why Finn Jones (the lead) rage quit Twitter the last week, after being trolled by Asyiqin Haron, some creative director who happens to be Asian... Finn made a comment in support of diversity, and he got so much flak on Twitter he deleted his account to focus on The Defenders. Good call, Finn. Twitter is pretty worthless.

    http://www.vulture.com/2017/03/finn-...over-race.html

    They cast an Indian actor as his nemesis, Steel Serpent. Are we going to complain about that too, Twittersphere? Davos' introduction to Netflix superhero lore has already been foreshadowed (in Daredevil), and will probably improve the show's rocky start. That's the beauty of Netflix originals...they don't have to cancel to make room for new shows. They can just keep improving the show (and they should...so much material to work from).

    This whiner? https://twitter.com/AsyiqinHaron Another useless Twitterbag, don't mind her. All she's doing is complaining about stupid things like the nationality of actors... I doubt she ever read the actual comics and novels. I hope she keeps complaining about the show, it'll help the ratings and maybe even the scriptwriting. Did I mention that according to her own feed, she watched the first episode only 14 hours ago (after trolling the lead actor off Twitter two weeks ago). Great job. You're a real artist, girlie, girl. Your medium is tears.

    One thing's for sure, Danny Rand does not need to be tweeting...he needs to train.
    Last edited by Pship Destroyer; 3/18/2017 12:01am at .

  10. #10
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,193
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Lol
    Frontier delivered the modem now I have netflix. Regarding Iron Fist I see what you mean by the story is more interesting than the fighting.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in