Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help with 6 year old

I have a 6 yo son who likes MA. My question is at this age should I worry more about him having fun and enjoying the experience or worry more about the technical side? I want him to be his best but I don't want him to hate MA because it wasn't fun. The reason I'm asking is the local clubs seem to possibly Mcdojos. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't have the experience to speak in regards to training. I can, however speak to the reality of children.

Having fun and properly learning a skillset are not mutually exclusive or diametrically opposing concepts. No matter how much fun a kid is having, if they aren't being taught properly, they aren't truly learning anything. Conversely, the burden is on the instructor to present material in a manner that allows an audience that young to be able to absorb it. So, my short answer would be, you should be concerned with both.

In regards to your son specifically, is he interested in ma, or fascinated with what his 6 year old mind thinks ma is? Often, children are only interested in something until they are exposed to the reality of it, and then the fascination wears off, and they move on. There's nothing wrong with that. It's all part of how children experience the world and find themselves.

Find a program/instructor where you can observe children being taught proper technique, in a manner that engages the kids enough that they seem to want to learn what they are being taught, and let your son give it a try. If he finds that ma is not really his thing, then you simply move on, knowing that he was given the opportunity to try it in earnest. If he does enjoy it enough to want to continue, then he will have been given a proper foundation to do so.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have fun and develop physical literacy appropriate to his age and level of development. That would include other activities and sports as well as any martial arts type training.

Technical side of martial arts are designed for adults, not little kids. Go the link provided and educate yourself for your kid's sake.

http://canadiansportforlife.ca/
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He liked Kung fu that he took for a year but the school closed. The problem I'm having is finding a reputable school at this time.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Have fun and develop physical literacy appropriate to his age and level of development. That would include other activities and sports as well as any martial arts type training.

Technical side of martial arts are designed for adults, not little kids. Go the link provided and educate yourself for your kid's sake.

http://canadiansportforlife.ca/
    I think this is where the notion of "have fun vs. proper instruction" comes from.

Having spent years indulging my oldest daughter's interest in soccer, I saw a lot of coaches trying to teach skills that the kids just weren't mature enough, physically or mentally, to be able to really learn and practice.

Since you say that the technical aspects are adult oriented, is it still possible to give technically correct instruction to kids, that is appropriate to their maturity level?

Or, am I wrong about this, and at young ages, it really IS all about making it fun, with little to no technique to be found?
    Last edited by GrouchyOldMan; 2/12/2017 2:52pm at . Reason: Spelling

Style
    judo hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fcsarebel View Post
    He liked Kung fu that he took for a year but the school closed. The problem I'm having is finding a reputable school at this time.
    If you'll give your location we (members of the site) can possibly be of assistance.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
    I think this is where the notion of "have fun vs. proper instruction" comes from.

Having spent years indulging my oldest daughter's interest in soccer, I saw a lot of coaches trying to teach skills that the kids just weren't mature enough, physically or mentally, to be able to really learn and practice.

Since you say that the technical aspects are adult oriented, is it still possible to give technically correct instruction to kids, that is appropriate to their maturity level?

Or, am I wrong about this, and at young ages, it really IS all about making it fun, with little to no technique to be found?

Did you peruse the link he posted?

This page in particular: http://canadiansportforlife.ca/learn...fe/ltad-stages

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Did you peruse the link he posted?

This page in particular: http://canadiansportforlife.ca/learn...fe/ltad-stages
    I did. I guess I was looking for more granular insight on how these concepts apply specifically to martial arts instruction.

As an example of what I was trying to ask...I used to train working dogs. If I was asked the question of what would be proper training for a twelve week old puppy, my answer would be "proper bite". With young puppies, they should be learning the mechanics of what constitutes a proper bite, and they should be learning the concept, through repeated reinforcement, that a proper bite is the key to "winning". It's taught through tug of war games, using a heavy burlap material called jute.

Obviously, the discussion can extend outward from there. But, with that as an example, what would appropriate ma training look like for a young child?
    Last edited by GrouchyOldMan; 2/12/2017 3:52pm at .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Clermont FLorida. There is World Class TKD, South Lake Karate, Clermont Karate, and some BJJ places. I want him to have fun but also learn not just just give money for someone to baby sit him.

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fcsarebel View Post
    Clermont FLorida. There is World Class TKD, South Lake Karate, Clermont Karate, and some BJJ places. I want him to have fun but also learn not just just give money for someone to baby sit him.
    I'll give you the same answer I gave you in your other thread: Judo or BJJ.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last