Page 5 of 7 First 1234567 Last
  1. #41
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,850
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    You realize he could be under a different black belt now right? Have you thought of asking him?
    He doesn't even mention BJJ or GJJ... so why would he be under a black belt?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  2. #42
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,523
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    In http://www.asojj.com/ website I can't see clear indication of BJJ being taught there or the instructors claiming BJJ rank. They use the term "jiu-jitsu" which is a generic one and not exclusive of the Brazilian variety.
    This is true. So now for me it would come down to if he has the BJJ rank bar on his belt. If he has only trained bjj and has a rank bar on his belt then he's being deceptive if he wasn't given said rank by a black belt.

  3. #43
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,850
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    This is true. So now for me it would come down to if he has the BJJ rank bar on his belt. If he has only trained bjj and has a rank bar on his belt then he's being deceptive if he wasn't given said rank by a black belt.
    Does "BJJ" have a copyright on a "rank bar"?

    Didn't think so...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  4. #44
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,523
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    He doesn't even mention BJJ or GJJ... so why would he be under a black belt?
    Does he have a bjj rank bar on his belt? And can he verify his lineage of JJJ? Those would be the new questions I would ask.
    Last edited by Raycetpfl; 2/16/2017 6:06pm at .

  5. #45
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,523
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Does "BJJ" have a copyright on a "rank bar"?

    Didn't think so...
    Bjj doesn't even have a copy right on BJJ.....

    Does judo have a copyright on the word Judo? Or phrase Judo Black belt? Didn't think so........

    Will I be considered a sneaky slimey f*ck if I just start calling myself a judo black belt?

    You can't copy right clothing in the USA so it would be impossible to copy right a belt patch.
    None of these martial arts illegitimate claims are illegal. They are just deceptive business practices.
    Last edited by Raycetpfl; 2/16/2017 6:07pm at .

  6. #46
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,850
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Does judo have a copyright on the word Judo? Or phrase Judo Black belt? Didn't think so........

    Will I be considered a sneaky slimey f*ck if I just start calling myself a judo black belt?

    You can't copy right clothing in the USA so it would be impossible to copy right a belt patch.
    None of this martial arts fraud is illegal. It's just deceptive business practices.

    I could personally care less if you called yourself a Judo black belt. In fact, I don't doubt it is reasonably true, given your skill level and athleticism. I'd much rather have a guy like you as a Judo black belt than literally thousands of others who have been promoted in the USA. Now, some unskilled dweeb claiming a black belt, yeah, I object, and have taken part in at least one "investigation" regarding that sort of fraud here.

    No, I don't know of anybody who has a copywrite or trademark or whatever on 'judo". It's not even original to Kodokan Judo, which is why Kano put the prefix "Kodokan" onto his Kano Ryu Ju Jutsu (really just mostly Kito Ryu, especially in the early days). And in fact "Kodokan" is homophonic with another "Kodokan" in Japan at that time, but uses a different kanji for "ko" that has a different meaning.

    I know, TMI...

    Maybe he's being deceptive, maybe he is not. He has a black belt in kempo (claimed). So he took some BJJ classes, got a purple or brown belt, and now is teaching jiu-jitsu.

    When I teach stuff in my Judo class that I learned in BJJ class, should I give full disclosure that I learned it in BJJ class? Should I pay a royalty to my BJJ coache, or is the $65/month (an incredible bargain, BTW) enough?

    BTW, I do tell my students "look at this cool stuff I learned in jiu jitsu yesterday, let's drill it" (if it's applicable).

    This is the sort of stuff that is happening to BJJ because of it's popularity (and effectiveness), and there is money to be made, so go figure...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  7. #47
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,850
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I stand corrected...

    You can find a BJJ reference on their facebook page...
    https://www.facebook.com/AlchemyBJJ/about/

    [img][/img]
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  8. #48
    Christmas Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    13,888
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Good observation ! So, if he does not claim to teach BJJ or GJJ, he is not subject to the lineage wars stuff, and can rank himself however he wants.
    Wait ... what about

    http://alchemymma.net/bjj.html


    Where did you fellows find that other site at?
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

  9. #49
    cualltaigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cooltown, SEQ
    Posts
    1,783
    Style
    BJJ, MMA
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I stand corrected...

    You can find a BJJ reference on their facebook page...
    https://www.facebook.com/AlchemyBJJ/about/

    [img][/img]
    Also, the link in post no.7 had Mr Kasten last week defined as a BJJ Brown belt. This link is now dead and he is now a Jiu Jitsu brown belt.

    Quote Originally Posted by alchemyfrauds View Post
    For me this is more a matter of credibility. Steven clearly has jiu jitsu skills, which even his former instructor acknowledges whilst not-so-subtly implying a personal falling out. There would be no shame in him running a BJJ class as a purple belt if that is what he is graded as. My instructor (who only received his black belt from a visiting JT Torres last year) was a purple belt when I started training with him 5 years ago.

    He also seems to have skills sufficient to be graded to a Brown belt (given the competitive record). It shouldn't be too hard to find someone to affiliate with and rank to that level (if he hasn't already). It's just a matter of being honest about it and doing it right.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

  10. #50
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,566
    Style
    Jits
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Wait ... what about

    http://alchemymma.net/bjj.html


    Where did you fellows find that other site at?
    http://www.asojj.com/ was the first result Google gave me when I searched for "Alchemy MMA Smithtown" as the OP pointed.

Page 5 of 7 First 1234567 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in