Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In truth guys, I'm just curious if it was just me or is it really out there.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    In truth guys, I'm just curious if it was just me or is it really out there.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Judo, Asian fisting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    The whole "leave your ego at the door" thing is kinda silly. If you can voluntarily leave your ego at the door, that would be pretty darned incredible.

If you mean "control your behavior", as in don't purposely hurt anybody, and follow the rules, then, yeah, maybe...

Hard training exposes your (unhealthy/needs to be modified) ego, among other things, so you can get some self-awareness. Maybe...
    By leaving ego at the door I most certainly mean the behaviour control and not purposely hurting people, along with realizing that no matter how good anyone is, there is always a possibility of human error. A high rank student or teacher can make a mistake and get tapped. By all means train hard, work diligantly to perfect what you do, but never just assume you or anyone else is unstoppable. Be open to getting owned no matter how good you are/think you are. Thats how Ive come to understand it.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    By leaving ego at the door I most certainly mean the behaviour control and not purposely hurting people, along with realizing that no matter how good anyone is, there is always a possibility of human error. A high rank student or teacher can make a mistake and get tapped. By all means train hard, work diligantly to perfect what you do, but never just assume you or anyone else is unstoppable. Be open to getting owned no matter how good you are/think you are. Thats how Ive come to understand it.
    A great dojo will be all about beating that **** right out of you.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The luckiest throw I ever pulled off in randori was a small reap on a brown belt when I was just a white belt. I was a newbie and a careless tori, so I accidentally let go of his gi, and he went flying, and slapped hard on the mat. He looked shocked for about a second, but swallowed his pride and got right back up. Barely phased him, getting thrown that suddenly by a newbie!

I was more shocked than he was so I had no chance to feel smug, and I'm glad I didn't, because I never, ever threw or locked that guy up again.

Afterwards I went over it in my head, trying to figure out what I had done right in that instance, and if I was better than I had thought. I concluded higher ranked belts were better than me not because they could throw or tap someone every time, but because getting thrown or tapped didn't faze them, and only I was the one making a huge deal out of it.

With all due respect you're probably just making a big deal out of it, but shouldn't. By that I mean internalizing it...the fact that you stop the class and make a point to use it as a lesson is great, in my opinion. You're so far beyond simple "win" "lose" mentality, it must just rub you that other people are so clueless and subscribe to that dualistic thinking, knowing it just holds them back. A good coach hates to see missed or wasted potential.
    Last edited by Pship Destroyer; 2/10/2017 4:44pm at .

Style
    Judo, Asian fisting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    A great dojo will be all about beating that **** right out of you.
    There's no words to describe how much I agree with this

Style
    mt/bjj
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, lower belts have tapped me out before.

I just got my purple belt and train at a competitive school... although, most of the times I tap are from me trying new things out.

I once let a white belt tap me out cause he was using the technique we went over in class and he started bragging about it

Style
    Bujinkan, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got tapped the other night by a fellow student that cross-trains in either BJJ or Catch Wrestling, not sure which, and does a lot more newaza than I do. Something called a "Bow and Arrow Choke", which I fell right into. He showed me after and I played around with it a while, it's something I need to put in my toolbox.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I threw a 2nd degree black belt at my Judo club one time while I was an orange belt. It was a clean throw for ippon, but somehow even though he hit the ground first flat on his back, he still managed to get up before me, grab my gi as I was starting to sit up, and established power hand. He quite literally picked my up off the ground by my gi, and proceeded to throw me with so much force I felt like I fell off a two story building. As I laid there with the wind knocked out of me, I was still trying to figure out how he managed to do what he just did.

I had gotten lucky. I don't know if he was just distracted, being lazy, or what was going on, but he sure didn't seem to like it.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega, I think it's strange that you make a big deal when your students tap you, stopping the class to let everybody know and whatnot. I think it puts a lot of emphasis on yourself, to be honest. Like tapping you is such an amazing feat. Now, maybe it is. I realize it's quite an accomplishment for someone to come in brand new and eventually rise to the level where they can tap their instructor. It's cool. But I'm not down with the message it sends.

I think a better message is "You tap, I tap, we all tap. No big deal."

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last