Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last

Style
    Tae Kwon Do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Defendo: Legit martial art?

I was reading an article about effective martial arts techniques and "Defendo" along with this video came up in the comments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPvbiy0eNzQ

Have you guys ever heard of this style? Is it legit? Actually effective?

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread was moved from MABS. This type of HAY GUYZ stuff belongs in YMAS.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzillarex View Post
    I was reading an article about effective martial arts techniques and "Defendo" along with this video came up in the comments:

Jesus fucking christ dude, how can you watch the video and have any doubts as to the level of ass kicking these peeps can dish out.
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The athleticism, the confidence, the cold hard reality effectively showing the futility of attacking one blessed with the raw sexuality and skills of Defendo should all be plenty enough to shake you to the core.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    Karate
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzillarex View Post

Looks pretty sound to me. Easy to follow and delivered in an alive manner. What's not to like?

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    Looks pretty sound to me. Easy to follow and delivered in an alive manner. What's not to like?
    Looks like Phil Elmore has hacked scipio's account.

Style
    Karate
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Looks like Phil Elmore has hacked scipio's account.
    I'm watching you.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PhilElmore.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	17286

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Per Wikipedia...
    "Combato had its beginning in the Liverpool theatres with ju-jitsu demonstrations by traveling Japanese wrestlers, Yukio Tani and Taro Miyake. As a boy, Underwood idolized these experts, and rapidly established himself as a prodigy.

The name Defendo was created on August 15, 1945 in New York City by Underwood's daughter, Pat, when Underwood was a guest in the United States training U.S. Army Rangers and for the American FBI for use in unarmed combat. Underwood was frequently requested by American and Canadian Law Enforcement Agencies to teach his Combato system during World War II, but as the war had ended he refused on the basis that Combato was too aggressive. Underwood was asked to modify the system to remove its lethal applications and instead focus on the Law Enforcement applications of self-defense, compliance and control tactics. He realized that he could not call this system Combato, so his daughter Pat Underwood proposed that he call the system "Defendo"."

Holy hell, is there some kind of template floating around !?!? The more I research and investigate in an attempt to choose a style and dojo, the more repetitive these things get!

" BULLSHIT COMBAT SYSTEM was developed by BULLSHIT ARTIST after studying and identifying the deficiencies in WELL KNOW, ESTABLISHED TMA *optional* under ONE OR TWO OLD ASIAN GUYS WITH INPRONOUNCABLE NAMES WHO HAVE LONG SINCE DIED. Developed for, and taught to MILITARY SPECIAL OPERATIONS BRANCH (real or fictional), it was deemed TOO LETHAL, and was modified for civilian self-defense applications. Blah blah POLICE...blah blah FEDERAL AGENCIES...blah blah ..."

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
    Per Wikipedia...
    "Combato had its beginning in the Liverpool theatres with ju-jitsu demonstrations by traveling Japanese wrestlers, Yukio Tani and Taro Miyake. As a boy, Underwood idolized these experts, and rapidly established himself as a prodigy.

The name Defendo was created on August 15, 1945 in New York City by Underwood's daughter, Pat, when Underwood was a guest in the United States training U.S. Army Rangers and for the American FBI for use in unarmed combat. Underwood was frequently requested by American and Canadian Law Enforcement Agencies to teach his Combato system during World War II, but as the war had ended he refused on the basis that Combato was too aggressive. Underwood was asked to modify the system to remove its lethal applications and instead focus on the Law Enforcement applications of self-defense, compliance and control tactics. He realized that he could not call this system Combato, so his daughter Pat Underwood proposed that he call the system "Defendo"."

Holy hell, is there some kind of template floating around !?!? The more I research and investigate in an attempt to choose a style and dojo, the more repetitive these things get!

" BULLSHIT COMBAT SYSTEM was developed by BULLSHIT ARTIST after studying and identifying the deficiencies in WELL KNOW, ESTABLISHED TMA *optional* under ONE OR TWO OLD ASIAN GUYS WITH INPRONOUNCABLE NAMES WHO HAVE LONG SINCE DIED. Developed for, and taught to MILITARY SPECIAL OPERATIONS BRANCH (real or fictional), it was deemed TOO LETHAL, and was modified for civilian self-defense applications. Blah blah POLICE...blah blah FEDERAL AGENCIES...blah blah ..."
    Tani and Myake were legit ju jutsu/judo guys.

I always like the whole prodigy thing though...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Tani and Myake were legit ju jutsu/judo guys.

I always like the whole prodigy thing though...
    It's the whole "prodigy thing", which almost without fail, is recognized early on by someone with an unmistakable Asian name. Said person is almost always either dead, or extremely reclusive and impossible to find.

I'm not surprised to know that the two individuals are real, or that they are legit. That is like icing on the cake, I guess.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last