Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. #21
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,196
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Thanks, Rayce.

    I thought I could see the guy positioning his hands on the gi, but the video is not at a good angle.

    I believe you are correct, the point was to flip the guy over and pin him, not do a choke. That is typical of Judo. You have to defend chokes, armbars, and pins, and it's tough to do all three at once.

    The strategy we usually use is to go for a choke, they defend, then can switch to a turnover or armbar or multiply force of choke by rolling (like Hell Strangle, among many others). There are a lot of possibilities, so you have to have a sequence in mind, until you get good enough to do stuff on the fly, which is the ultimate goal.

    Like I posted earlier, the seat belt from the side to a back take is stupid simple and works. If it doesn't, there are a lot of other options.

    I love all the head and arm variations, and we are going to work them into the program. Huge potential in Judo competition...
    So help me out here.

    Arm in Guillotine is a neck crank, or can be a neck crank if done in a certain way? You have their arm, but it looks like most folks put pressure on the neck vertebrae (other than squeezing) in a LOT of applications.

    Peruvian Neck-Tie: This looks to me like an arm-in Guillotine with the back of your leg on the back of the other guy's head, making it even more of a neck-crank and stronger choke.



    Am I right?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  2. #22
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,581
    Style
    Jits
    Both can be neck cranks, or chokes, or a combination. Depends on how they are applied.

  3. #23
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,196
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Both can be neck cranks, or chokes, or a combination. Depends on how they are applied.
    Great, thanks, sempai...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  4. #24
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,581
    Style
    Jits
    For me the difference between an arm-in guillotine and a peruvian is opponent's head placement: the armpit/chest or under the leg but the principles are the same.
    Last edited by DCS; 2/01/2017 7:11pm at .

  5. #25
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,196
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    For me the difference between an arm-in guillotine and a peruvian is opponent's head placement: nder the armpit/chest or under the leg but the principles are the same.
    That is what it looked like to me, too. Apparently the jacketed version of the Peruvian Necktie is also called a Hangman or Suicide Choke.

    BJJ nomenclature, almost as confusing as IJF Judo rules...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  6. #26
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,523
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    So help me out here.

    Arm in Guillotine is a neck crank, or can be a neck crank if done in a certain way? You have their arm, but it looks like most folks put pressure on the neck vertebrae (other than squeezing) in a LOT of applications.

    Peruvian Neck-Tie: This looks to me like an arm-in Guillotine with the back of your leg on the back of the other guy's head, making it even more of a neck-crank and stronger choke.



    Am I right?
    Peruvian is in the picture.

    https://youtu.be/W9wzm3FIY4U arm in by Jeff glover

    If it cranks you are doing wrong or its being defended well and causes it to be a crank
    Last edited by Raycetpfl; 2/01/2017 8:02pm at .

  7. #27
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,196
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Peruvian is in the picture.

    https://youtu.be/W9wzm3FIY4U arm in by Jeff glover

    If it cranks you are doing wrong or its being defended well and causes it to be a crank
    OK, thanks. Anytime I see the guy leaning back, I think crank...

    I'll have to work on it more and see exactly how it feels. The problem with doing it in Judo can be that the ref will think you are doing a deliberate neck crank. However, I would think that having the arm would be pretty protective of the neck.

    I'll try it tonight in class, and ask my coach, imagine that...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 3 of 3 First 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in