Page 20 of 22 First ... 1016171819202122 Last
    Style
    cultural appropriation
    Quote Originally Posted by Slagar View Post
    Because of the ideal of "avoiding confrontation?"

I do find it interesting that there is an immediate assumption that anyone who participates in Aikido is a "*****" as you put it, but hey, that's your assumption, and I doubt that there's any input I could throw in that would change your mind as it seems pretty set in stone on that opinion.
    perhaps you should consider that maybe outside of your aikido school there's a lot more going on with real world experience?

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....
    Style
    JKD & Mok'bara
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    But IMO seeing Aikido as a "graduate system" in the sense of more advanced is a mistake. It would be like saying, in a Judo context, that Kime-no-kata...

is advanced Judo.
    Doesn't mean more advanced so much as more refined - its why Kano sent his crew only after they hit BB

My opinion of Small Circle from what I had seen of it was not high until I met Professor James Hundon who at 70 can still motor. He teaches solid combat fundamentals before you can start to apply the higher skill techniques. This isnt unique by any means - hell BJJ does that - but the schools that offer arts.such as Aikido, t3h Chun and so on never have those fundamentals in place and instead start at advanced

When you see someone deal with someone in relative ease you think "I want to do that!" But that ignores the foundation pieces that got you there...akin to trying a Mr Olympia bodybuilding routine when you have never lifte weights before

Style
    JKD & Mok'bara
    Quote Originally Posted by boldeagle67 View Post
    My old Kyokushin school shared space with an Aikido school. Sometimes we would show up for class early and the Aikido class was still going on. The instructor would tell us to get on the mat and join his class and we were glad.

I know that the effectiveness of Aikido will always be in question but I must say I always loved simulation defending against a weapon in particular. I'm sure most of you know that Aikido was somehow based around defending against the sword. I feel that there are some good techniques for defending against weapons embedded in the art.
    No they most certainly do not!

Style
    Koryu
    I feel that there are some good techniques for defending against weapons embedded in the art.
    It is not.

See previous posts about early aikido assuming people had already other extensive experience with martial arts. This includes armed systems.

Style
    Mixed
    The only thing you'll get "embedded" by using Aikido to defend against a sword is the sword.

Style
    Mixed
    There is exactly one empty handed martial art useful against swords, and it's Hokuto Shinken.

Style
    Jits
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    The only thing you'll get "embedded" by using Aikido to defend against a sword is the sword.
    Cut and paste from a worth reading article by Ellis Amdur

We should stop doing tachi-dori and jō-dori* in public demos. There are lots of real swordsmen in the audience, people who’ve really trained with weapons, and they know that we can’t really take swords and staffs out of people’s hands when they are attacking us. We are making fools of ourselves. —Kuroiwa Yoshio, Aikikai shihan
    *sword and staff disams.

Style
    GJJ, Wrestling, Kyokushin
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanniballistic View Post
    No they most certainly do not!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moenstah View Post
    It is not.

See previous posts about early aikido assuming people had already other extensive experience with martial arts. This includes armed systems.
    LOL I haven't logged on for like a month, I am still getting shredded for my Aikido comments?

Seriously, I am not a weapons guy. What styles are good/recommended for that sort of thing?

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    LOL I haven't logged on for like a month, I am still getting shredded for my Aikido comments?

Seriously, I am not a weapons guy. What styles are good/recommended for that sort of thing?
    Distance and gun.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    JKD & Mok'bara
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Distance and gun.
    Or proximity and your own knife :)

Page 20 of 22 First ... 1016171819202122 Last