Page 2 of 22 First 12345612 ... Last
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Seconded

That aikido focuses in the close range striking/arms length grappling distance that is very common in classical Japanese martial arts and in European medieval/renaissance martial arts; styles which were heavily concerned about weapons.

When one is sure the opponent is unarmed and there is no need for your own weapon retention Aikido's tactics and techniques are not really needed.
    Yes, that is what I understand as well. Someone here a long time ago posted about how the wrist/elbow techniques work a lot better if someone is holding onto a sword or other weapon. Because they obviously do not want to let go of the weapon...

The real joke is Aikido is not really supposed to be about self defense or fighting by design of the founder. It's a subset of a subset of grappling techniques.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Jits
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    The real joke is Aikido is not really supposed to be about self defense or fighting by design of the founder. It's a subset of a subset of grappling techniques.
    Not sure about the first part. I'd say Aikido is Kime no Kata gone crazy, so it is about fighting/self defense but somehow things went out of hand.

Style
    BJJ/Boxing
    Things went out of hand when the hands became compliant on a regular basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb1 View Post

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

Style
    Pro-Wrestling/PitFighting
    a style populated by pussies become pussified no matter how good the style was when it started.
    Fun fact: Boxing used to be bareknuckle and resemble MMA.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gruzman on Youtube
    Man, you got it totaly wrong. Every statement you make is false and I won't bother to write this comment if you would keep your misunderstanding to yourself and not make it public.One thing I can agree with you is that if you want qwick results, just have three month drill and then go smash somebody's face then deffinately this is not the dicipline to pick up.The aikido is a martial art. Not a sport. It was ment to be a slow development, it is about planting the seed and watching and helping it to grow. One can compare it with painting.Everybody can draw, why bother going to the academy?You ask: why this slow mock atack drills? Well ask boxer why he jumps over the rope, or why he beets a bag od send. Or ask musician why he repeats those dumb note scales.You say that technics are doubtfull. Well, that's really funny, because akido does not has its own technics. Aikido is less than 100 years old. It is based on the sword. The tecknics have thouzand years history. What makes it unique is it's atitude to the trobles, atacks and other problems that human beeing can come accross. And this atitude is not some abstract theory, but phylosophy that has actual practical application. I don't expect you understand this part, it's difficult and it is not for outsiders. You have to work it out to get feel of it.I wish you try aikido before jumping to conclusions, or at least keep do not proclaim against things you don't understand. There is nothing wrong with aikido.
    Oh penis!

You came and you gave without taking,

But I sent you away,

Oh penis!

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Fun fact: Boxing used to be bareknuckle and resemble MMA.

Oh penis!

You came and you gave without taking,

But I sent you away,

Oh penis!
    Congrats, and kudos for the Manilow reference.

Style
    Pro-Wrestling/PitFighting
    Supposing I want to make a video about pressure points next, what kind of insight do you fuckers have that might help me?

Omega?

WFMurphyPhD?

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Not sure about the first part. I'd say Aikido is Kime no Kata gone crazy, so it is about fighting/self defense but somehow things went out of hand.
    Well, I think you can read about what Ueshiba wrote regarding the purpose of Aikido.

Please correct me if I'm incorrect about that. For sure, Ueshiba was capable of defending himself, but he did not initially train in Aikidio, he invented it from the Daito Ryu he learned from Takeda Sokaku, plus kenjutsu trainining plus I believe one or two other koryu (but late Edo Period) ju jutsu (Tenjin Shin 'yo ryu?). And Ueshiba was supposedly scared to death of Takeda Sokaku...as were a lot of folks.

I've seen video of Ueshiba as a younger man (by that I mean middle aged), doing stuff that looked a LOT like Kime No Kata (of Judo for the uneducated), especially the suwari/idori waza (that's seated/kneeling techniques).
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Supposing I want to make a video about pressure points next, what kind of insight do you fuckers have that might help me?

Omega?

WFMurphyPhD?
    That only a ***** would believe the body has 100s of pressure points that would take the fight out of someone?

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai

Omega?

WFMurphyPhD?

First rule of pressure points is you have to lock the guy in a position he cant escape from. Or in other words know grappling.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    First rule of pressure points is you have to lock the guy in a position he cant escape from. Or in other words know grappling.
    In other words using pressure points to get out of a bad situation is much less effective than when you're in a dominate position hunting for a reaction?
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Page 2 of 22 First 12345612 ... Last