Page 1 of 5 12345 Last
  1. #1
    ghost55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    4,142
    Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    RNC without hooks

    Yes, I did post another one of this guy's videos earlier, but this is different. What do you guys think of this technique? It looks solid to me, but I suck at martial arts so I could once again be wrong. Is this worth trying?


  2. #2
    Christmas Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    13,885
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't sink RNC's without hooks... soooo ... yeah not my cup of tea but I do like his positional rationale and methodology.

    ...also I try never to rely on pressure points.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

  3. #3
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,850
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1.) The guy on bottom isn't protecting his neck correctly. He's using the "cover you neck from grizzly bear attack thing. Rayce can correct me if I'm wrong on that one. Or are they doing MMA so he is trying to cover the back of his head?
    2.) I got to 3 minutes in and he still hasn't shown "how to finish a RNC without hooks".
    3.) OMG, did he just poke the guy in the lower back with his elbow and claim that would make make the guy raise up his head like that?
    4.He has no weight or control on the guy. Do you think the guy on bottom is just going to lay there?
    5.) Neither one of them seems to move very well.

    Isn't this a guy we've seen here before, of questionable lineage? Or was that another guy who was in Honk Kong or Taiwan? Ex-military guy...???

    I'm no expert at no-gi, but it seems that there are a ton of ways to take a guys back
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  4. #4
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,523
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Yes, I did post another one of this guy's videos earlier, but this is different. What do you guys think of this technique? It looks solid to me, but I suck at martial arts so I could once again be wrong. Is this worth trying?

    That poke doesn't work on everyone. It tickles me, my pain receptors are all fucked up. It really bothers others. Pain compliance is **** mostly. Most high level competitive guys won't care and angry people won't care. So you are practicing a move that works on calm pussies. So the poke is a waste of time imo, but I have played with it.
    As far as back control being hard to get,maintain and not worth it? No, thats stupid. (See Damian Maia, Roger Gracie or Marcel Garcia)
    Catch guys always seem to be clowns.

    Here's one of my Seafoos videos

    Heres a good ways to take the back.

  5. #5
    ghost55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    4,142
    Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get that catch has a very different approach from BJJ, but that doesn't mean i doesn't work. Mighty Mouse is very much a catch guy, and Josh Barnett is a very good grappler (jut look at what he did to Dean Lister).

  6. #6
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,523
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    I get that catch has a very different approach from BJJ, but that doesn't mean i doesn't work. Mighty Mouse is very much a catch guy, and Josh Barnett is a very good grappler (jut look at what he did to Dean Lister).
    Josh's main trainer has been training bjj since before the ufc existed.
    Saku is awesome but has trained a ton of bjj,Paulson is good and a bjj Black belt and The Magician is good. Their schools are the exception not the rule. Most catch guys are clowns.

    Pay attention to what the best in the world are doing not some clown with a nice camera.

  7. #7
    ghost55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    4,142
    Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Josh's main trainer has been training bjj since before the ufc existed.
    Saku is awesome but has trained a ton of bjj,Paulson is good and a bjj Black belt and The Magician is good. Their schools are the exception not the rule. Most catch guys are clowns.

    Pay attention to what the best in the world are doing not some clown with a nice camera.
    Mighty Mouse is literally the best fighter on earth. And yeah, Barnett has BJJ experience, but his submission and control game is all catch.

  8. #8
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,850
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    1.) The guy on bottom isn't protecting his neck correctly. He's using the "cover you neck from grizzly bear attack thing. Rayce can correct me if I'm wrong on that one. Or are they doing MMA so he is trying to cover the back of his head?
    2.) I got to 3 minutes in and he still hasn't shown "how to finish a RNC without hooks".
    3.) OMG, did he just poke the guy in the lower back with his elbow and claim that would make make the guy raise up his head like that?
    4.He has no weight or control on the guy. Do you think the guy on bottom is just going to lay there?
    5.) Neither one of them seems to move very well.

    Isn't this a guy we've seen here before, of questionable lineage? Or was that another guy who was in Honk Kong or Taiwan? Ex-military guy...???

    I'm no expert at no-gi, but it seems that there are a ton of ways to take a guys back
    Honk Kong,I crack myself up sometimes...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  9. #9
    ghost55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    4,142
    Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Honk Kong,I crack myself up sometimes...
    Guy in the video is in Singapore. Pretty sure he's legit.

  10. #10
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,850
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    That poke doesn't work on everyone. It tickles me, my pain receptors are all fucked up. It really bothers others. Pain compliance is **** mostly. Most high level competitive guys won't care and angry people won't care. So you are practicing a move that works on calm pussies. So the poke is a waste of time imo, but I have played with it.
    As far as back control being hard to get,maintain and not worth it? No, thats stupid. (See Damian Maia, Roger Gracie or Marcel Garcia)
    Catch guys always seem to be clowns.

    Here's one of my Seafoos videos

    Heres a good ways to take the back.
    But they look good in those tight outfits...

    Phil of course knows what he is doing.

    I love seat-belt grip, it's one thing I picked up from BJJ that is truly useful and teach in Judo, as it's so damned simple but so damned effective. Of course, it's probably originally from wrestling, but who cares?

    The really key thing he shows is action reaction, regardless of which back-take method he is doing.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in