Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    Turkish oil wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Point fighting that does actually suck (100% completely anyway)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuWsYVEZV2M

I think here is an example of one. It at very least looks like something like combat sport, seems that the JKA rules in this era at least were not completely retarded despite the matches being stopped always after a scoring hit. Some other could actually be ITF Taekwondo? Probably going to be hanged for this but I remember watching some matches with their rulesets and there was actually decent kicks, maybe even some decent punches

Well what Im saying that compare the video I linked to almost any to say WTF karate match in 2016 and it doesnt seem like even the same sport really

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh the 80's were funny times. Full Contact but Stop/Start with rules that create fast amusing to watch action. I would say these fine people are the "old school" Shotokan Karate guys people keep talking about... so comparing them to modern TKD isn't fair to either style.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Turkish oil wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by XmasSpiritedAway View Post
    Oh the 80's were funny times. Full Contact but Stop/Start with rules that create fast amusing to watch action. I would say these fine people are the "old school" Shotokan Karate guys people keep talking about... so comparing them to modern TKD isn't fair to either style.
    I dont wish to compare really anything to anything, just wonder if there´s still out smth like this crazy motherfuckers on old JKA matcges? Or well really basically I want to know if point fighting competitions that are not 100% idiotic BS do still exist?

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Losco View Post
    I dont wish to compare really anything to anything, just wonder if there´s still out smth like this crazy motherfuckers on old JKA matcges? Or well really basically I want to know if point fighting competitions that are not 100% idiotic BS do still exist?
    Kickboxing and Boxing are point fighting rulesets/styles that don't suck. San Shou (sp?) ... umm **** tons out there. KK is point based or at least has a point focus at times.
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This video popped up on my FB feed a few days ago and for some reason I sat and watched it through. I think it's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQFSPKjPlNM

Style
    Muay Thai / BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At my daughter's karate tournament earlier this month they had some exhibition fights that were timed instead of to a fixed number of points. They were very entertaining to watch. They still stopped at each point, but the refs worked to determine the score and restart very quickly.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So ... questions answered? More questions? Hateful comments about anyones' mums?

Can anyone think of a completely "pointless" martial art with a proven track record?
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by XmasSpiritedAway View Post
    So ... questions answered? More questions? Hateful comments about anyones' mums?

Can anyone think of a completely "pointless" martial art with a proven track record?
    Yes.

First of all, you're mom sucks eggs.

And so does point fighting. Although occasionally you can find examples of it not sucking so hard.

Unlike your mom.

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say that shotokan style point fighting is great. When used as a drill. It's a useful tool for developing solid range and timing. Look at what it did for Machida and Wonderboy. But you can't ever mistake it for the real deal.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only really "pointless" system I can think of that is worth a **** is the DBMA stuff.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Page 1 of 3 123 Last