Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The Street
    Posts
    502
    Style
    Turkish oil wrestling

    Point fighting that does actually suck (100% completely anyway)?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuWsYVEZV2M

    I think here is an example of one. It at very least looks like something like combat sport, seems that the JKA rules in this era at least were not completely retarded despite the matches being stopped always after a scoring hit. Some other could actually be ITF Taekwondo? Probably going to be hanged for this but I remember watching some matches with their rulesets and there was actually decent kicks, maybe even some decent punches

    Well what Im saying that compare the video I linked to almost any to say WTF karate match in 2016 and it doesnt seem like even the same sport really

  2. #2
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,803
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    1
    Oh the 80's were funny times. Full Contact but Stop/Start with rules that create fast amusing to watch action. I would say these fine people are the "old school" Shotokan Karate guys people keep talking about... so comparing them to modern TKD isn't fair to either style.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The Street
    Posts
    502
    Style
    Turkish oil wrestling
    Quote Originally Posted by XmasSpiritedAway View Post
    Oh the 80's were funny times. Full Contact but Stop/Start with rules that create fast amusing to watch action. I would say these fine people are the "old school" Shotokan Karate guys people keep talking about... so comparing them to modern TKD isn't fair to either style.
    I dont wish to compare really anything to anything, just wonder if there´s still out smth like this crazy motherfuckers on old JKA matcges? Or well really basically I want to know if point fighting competitions that are not 100% idiotic BS do still exist?

  4. #4
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,803
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Losco View Post
    I dont wish to compare really anything to anything, just wonder if there´s still out smth like this crazy motherfuckers on old JKA matcges? Or well really basically I want to know if point fighting competitions that are not 100% idiotic BS do still exist?
    Kickboxing and Boxing are point fighting rulesets/styles that don't suck. San Shou (sp?) ... umm **** tons out there. KK is point based or at least has a point focus at times.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    992
    Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    1
    This video popped up on my FB feed a few days ago and for some reason I sat and watched it through. I think it's pretty good.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQFSPKjPlNM

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    302
    Style
    Muay Thai / BJJ
    At my daughter's karate tournament earlier this month they had some exhibition fights that were timed instead of to a fixed number of points. They were very entertaining to watch. They still stopped at each point, but the refs worked to determine the score and restart very quickly.

  7. #7
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,803
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    So ... questions answered? More questions? Hateful comments about anyones' mums?

    ...

    Can anyone think of a completely "pointless" martial art with a proven track record?
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    992
    Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    Quote Originally Posted by XmasSpiritedAway View Post
    So ... questions answered? More questions? Hateful comments about anyones' mums?

    ...

    Can anyone think of a completely "pointless" martial art with a proven track record?
    Yes.

    First of all, you're mom sucks eggs.

    And so does point fighting. Although occasionally you can find examples of it not sucking so hard.

    Unlike your mom.

  9. #9
    ghost55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    4,296
    Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    I would say that shotokan style point fighting is great. When used as a drill. It's a useful tool for developing solid range and timing. Look at what it did for Machida and Wonderboy. But you can't ever mistake it for the real deal.

  10. #10
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,803
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    The only really "pointless" system I can think of that is worth a **** is the DBMA stuff.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in