Page 1 of 9 12345 ... Last

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Okay, opinion thread, why do I have a problem with this and what is your opinion

So I came across this. While I know a lot of schools are different and they emphasize certain things and I know this is not meant to be a tutorial but I am not sure if I agree with many of the techniques here.

1. *Tongue and cheek: This is why BJJ guys should not teach falls or throws
    2. While I agree that white belts should learn to sprawl but I am not sure I like those sprawls
    3. Is that how you guys show how to break the guard?
    4. I am not sure if the "professor" really understands the mount reversal. Maybe I am being too technical for white belt level.
    5. Why didn't they show how to take the back?

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Somehow I suspect that the only blackbelt that instructor actually has is in MCMAP...

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    2. While I agree that white belts should learn to sprawl but I am not sure I like those sprawls
    We don't dive like that, the hip reaches the ground with or just after the hands. It should be noted we have a wrestler doing a lot of the sprawl technique.

It's been presented to me. I've never had it work well.

That's an odd omission. RNC and bow and arrow are pretty fundamental finishes, no?
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    Kendo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're going to get thrown into a forward roll, your legs are doing most of the work of the breakfall. So from a judo guy's pov, learning to get up with bent legs like that just builds bad habits for ukemi. Unless there's some other BJJ oriented point to that drill I don't understand...

The whole thing is so perfunctory as to be useless. May as well have made a bullet list with a note saying "find someone better than me to teach you these things".

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

So I came across this. While I know a lot of schools are different and they emphasize certain things and I know this is not meant to be a tutorial but I am not sure if I agree with many of the techniques here.

1. *Tongue and cheek: This is why BJJ guys should not teach falls or throws
    4. I am not sure if the "professor" really understands the mount reversal. Maybe I am being too technical for white belt level.
    1.) Falling...well, those were really, really, bad ushiro ukemi (back falls), as you probably noticed. The zempo kaiten ukemi were OK, but were of the "ninja" style with the bent leg, designed to stand up from a soft roll. Not really useful taking a hard flat fall.
    2.) If a white or yellow belt level O Goshi/Tsuri Goshi is OK for a purple belt to demo, so be it...
    3.) Sprawling: Not me area of expertise, however, for a white belt the demo was OK.
    4.) Breaking guard sucks, especially if you are small and the guy on bottom is strong as ****. It seems to me to be a very "technical" type of thing, not easily done against a reasonably skilled opponent. Hence, I avoid closed guard, LOl!
    5.) Mount reversal: Well, what he shows can work...
    6.) Taking back: I agree, that would seem to me to be a key component of BJJ/ground grappling in general.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only watched the first five minutes.
    Breakfalls shown don't seem to stress or demonstrate details that are body preserving EXCEPT he did say tuck the chin, so a point for mentioning something important.
    When I teach a sprawl, I do not teach people to kick the hips back and away.
    I teach them to drive their hips straight (straight) down such the sprawler's head does not rise at all when they sprawl.
    I'd watch the rest, but I don't want to.
    Last edited by WFMurphyPhD; 11/23/2016 4:47pm at .

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only thing I consider decently executed is the double leg. Probably because i never had proper instruction in wrestling.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    The only thing I consider decently executed is the double leg. Probably because i never had proper instruction in wrestling.
    Respectfully, the double leg was sloppy too.

That said, I am a head up, chest up, belly button on them with no space into a standing flair finish double leg kind of guy.

Plus, with that leg to me, double leg would not have been my first choice unless I switched my own stance first or provoked them to switch theirs before shooting the double.
    Last edited by WFMurphyPhD; 11/23/2016 4:59pm at .

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Respectfully, the double leg was sloppy too.

That said, I am a head up, chest up, belly button on them with no space into a standing flair finish double leg kind of guy.

Plus, with that leg to me, double leg would not have been my first choice unless I switched my own stance first or provoked them to switch theirs before shooting the double.
    And I think this leads to the thought/concept that "20 "techniques" every white-belt should know is faulty pedagogy, to some degree at the very least.

Just watching those two move, I believe, adds weight to my "point".
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what 10 techniques would you guys recommend?

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... Last