Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Sitting guard

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1
    Style
    Brazilian jiu-jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Sitting guard

    Ok. So I am posting this hoping someone has since better insight than what I've seen so far. I'm trying to work on passing the sitting guard. All references or videos I can find deal with this mostly from a standing position. Where I'm running into trouble is where me and my opponent are already on the ground and I can't pass their guard. Specificly with their feet on my hips and me on my knees. Sorry if this was a bad explanation. And thank you for any advice or references.

  2. #2
    Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    plasma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,247
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just stand up and start working your passes.

  3. #3
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,554
    Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jph4450 View Post
    Where I'm running into trouble is where me and my opponent are already on the ground and I can't pass their guard. Specificly with their feet on my hips and me on my knees.
    Stand up and pass. Also, ask your BJJ instructor.
    Last edited by DCS; 11/23/2016 7:23am at .

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    1,197
    Style
    MMA, Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stand up for sure. Control the pant legs as well.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    3
    Style
    BJJ,kickboxing\muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One technique I have learnt previously is to stand up and place your lead Leg In between their two legs. for example let's imagine it's your left leg. Place your left leg in between his two legs then place both hands on top of his left knee placing pressure on the knee towards the ground, this denies him the ability to use his leg to stop you from passing also in gi you can grab the pants for even more leverage. Your right leg is situated on the right on the other side of his left leg. from here you can lift your lead leg into the air while keeping pressure on his knee so that you can clear your left leg past his open guard then take a dominant position from the side or if your fast enough NS. It is imperative to control his leg in this situation as well as being instructed on the proper stand up stance in BJJ or you will get swept doing this maneuver on experienced opponents. Another maneuver I use is utilizing pant or leg control to pin there knees together on one side then you pass to the back side but this requires good grip fighting and utilizing your weight and legs to keep pressure so that they don't roll or shrimp (no space my friend)

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    3
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best thing is to do in this situation is Stand up and try for pass.

  7. #7
    Cake of Doom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    surrey, UK
    Posts
    1,221
    Style
    Cardio
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just practise what you've been taught. If that is to stand up and pass from there, do that. No point trying to jump the gun in the early stages of learning.
    Train hard, fight easy.

  8. #8
    Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    plasma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,247
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really unpopular opinion but a valid strategy: sit down and fight from double guard with a DLR or X guard hook. You got Berimbolo, Leg Drag and Leg Lock entries.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    1,197
    Style
    MMA, Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by plasma View Post
    Really unpopular opinion but a valid strategy: sit down and fight from double guard with a DLR or X guard hook. You got Berimbolo, Leg Drag and Leg Lock entries.
    Lol I'm ending up here a lot lately, since I'm working my bottom game. Some guys just refuse to play top, unless I insist on giving them mount. Like you said though, great leg lock entries.

  10. #10
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,523
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jph4450 View Post
    Ok. So I am posting this hoping someone has since better insight than what I've seen so far. I'm trying to work on passing the sitting guard. All references or videos I can find deal with this mostly from a standing position. Where I'm running into trouble is where me and my opponent are already on the ground and I can't pass their guard. Specificly with their feet on my hips and me on my knees. Sorry if this was a bad explanation. And thank you for any advice or references.
    Back up and clear their feet off your hips with your elbows from standing or on your knees.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in