Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT

The Hurricane Matthew thread

Well, folks, the end is nigh.

Not really. But, it's shaping up to be an interesting week, in Southeast Florida. Runs on supermarkets got in to full swing, this weekend, and now that we're officially in The Cone of Death, apeshit is being redefined. Observable gas lines will start just about now (I waited for over 30 minutes at Costco, Sunday, which is about 20 minutes longer than normal). I already have second-hand accounts of stores being out of bottled water and other staples.

This is a big storm, but - as of right now - it's not forecast to be a direct hit. Still, Grand Bahama is only about 60 statute miles from here at CPA, and the official track has Matthew running right over Freeport. The official forecast track has been shifting west for the last day or so, and radius of CAT I winds is forecast for over 100 nautical miles on the western quads.

Of course, humanitarian shout-out goes to Jamaica, Cuba, and Haiti, right now. The whole of the Bahamas are about to get their collective asses kicked, and South Florida is in the scope, just left of the reticle.

Stories? Video? Photo? Best wishes? Post them here.

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Getting ready to step into a corporate meeting about the storm. Make sure there's diesel for the genny, phone trees set up, etc. We're planning on no school, Thursday, and no work possibly Friday, as well. Wife just got me a case of beer, and I have propane and charcoal.

On the morose side, I checked out the arsenal, this weekend, ready to defend against clowns or Clowns. And, I have 3 gis, in case the ammo gets wet.

Style
    Cross Fit, small arms.
    Morose? If things go south it'll be like the Purge for you! All you need is booze and ammo!

Seriously though, good luck. Hunker down and see it through.
    Ne Obliviscaris

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Thanks for the well wishes, Kovacs. I'll be fine, this isn't my first rodeo. Kids are a little freaked, though - the eldest was still in the womb the last time we got hit (Wilma, 2005).

True to form, I just went to the supermarket for a light lunch, and the place was mobbed. The guy in front of me had a selection of 12 waters, only. I thought about snapping a pic, but didn't want to embarrass the guy.

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Ooh, I have to remember to charge up the GoPro batteries ahead of tomorrow's impending doom.

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    America: you're welcome.

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Just got a robo-call that county schools are closed Thursday and Friday.

(edit) Also, just ranted to a friend about "remember Wilma?" Some of my comments, in that convo, are far beyond the pale, but I'll give you the synopsis:

Nobody gave a **** about Florida during/after Wilma because everyone was still OMG Bush Katrina. I lost my roof and fence, and two exterior sliding doors, my insurance company went out of business before they could afford to send an adjuster to my house. So, I paid for that **** out of my own pocket, after effectively losing the premiums I had been paying for years. And, I still had to listen to what a hard time all the NOLA people were having. So, I was bitter. And still am.

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Well, the 5PM update is out, and all I can think of to comment with is this scene from Boondock Saints:

Forecast track seems to have scooched west, a little bit, barely noticeable unless your house happens to be right there. I have to run by [a large orange home improvement center] on the way home to pick up a few provisions I found need for, during a late-night squall, last night. We have 48 hours of fuel in the generator, and a scheduled refuel on Saturday AM. Like I said, schools are officially closed Thursday and Friday, now, and my building's management has said the building is officially closed at least Thursday. Fun times.

Style
    Karate
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Getting ready to step into a corporate meeting about the storm. Make sure there's diesel for the genny, phone trees set up, etc. We're planning on no school, Thursday, and no work possibly Friday, as well. Wife just got me a case of beer, and I have propane and charcoal.

On the morose side, I checked out the arsenal, this weekend, ready to defend against clowns or Clowns. And, I have 3 gis, in case the ammo gets wet.
    I'm just picturing a man in a gi in the pouring rain fighting an endless horde of people
    Last edited by ack4; 10/04/2016 6:27pm at .

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Quick update before bed. Yeah, the gas lines are in full effect. Several stations along the way home were completely out of gas. The big orange home improvement store was similarly crowded. People are insane.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last