Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
    If you do that, you are required to name the dog Chopper. "Chopper...sick balls!"
    Nah, I think I would name it "monkey steals peach".

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The are many reasons a dog will bite someone - fear, territoriality, dominance aggression, prey instinct (border collies are notorious for this one)...regardless of the specific stimulus or motiviation, case by case, generally you are correct that fighting back will discourage them to the point that they lose their commitment to the fight.

Regarding Master Wong, offering the dog your forearm is generally NOT going to be the best way to go about that.
    All of that makes sense. The amount of trained attack dogs people are going to meet is very small. Amount of attack dogs people will meet that randomly attack are even smaller. Figuring out how you're going to deal with a trained Rottweiler attacking you is about as useful as figuring out how you're going to fight Isis in Texas. I just doubt it's ever going to come up.
    If a dog comes back for a second round after a squarely placed kick it's probably best to choke it until it quits wiggling and then some. One dog I don't think would be that big of a deal even if its trained. Two or more would be a real son of a gun.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    huh...
    It's a pet phrase of mine. It is equivalent to a rhetorical "I think maybe you missed the mark, but who am I to argue ?"

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    All of that makes sense. The amount of trained attack dogs people are going to meet is very small. Amount of attack dogs people will meet that randomly attack are even smaller. Figuring out how you're going to deal with a trained Rottweiler attacking you is about as useful as figuring out how you're going to fight Isis in Texas. I just doubt it's ever going to come up.
    If a dog comes back for a second round after a squarely placed kick it's probably best to choke it until it quits wiggling and then some. One dog I don't think would be that big of a deal even if its trained. Two or more would be a real son of a gun.
    I agree that the probability this will ever come up in the average law abiding citizen's daily life is miniscule, to practically non-existent.

Being a "big deal" is really subjective, and is largely measured by how averse you are to getting bitten, because in the case of a dog that is trained and committed to bringing the fight to you, you will end up taking the bite. If you are willing to calmly take the initial bite (which most people don't want to do, because a proper bite is going to cause a fairly significant amount of damage, regardless of what happens after that), and deal with the animal from there, then yes, it can be dealt with.

Dogs are not unstoppable organic machines of destruction, even when trained for that sort of duty. Most police K9 officers have the philosophy that a dog will not ever save your life. The best you can hope for is that they will provide you the opportunity to save your own life, and hopefully the dog's as well.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree that the probability this will ever come up in the average law abiding citizen's daily life is miniscule, to practically non-existent.

Being a "big deal" is really subjective, and is largely measured by how averse you are to getting bitten, because in the case of a dog that is trained and committed to bringing the fight to you, you will end up taking the bite. If you are willing to calmly take the initial bite (which most people don't want to do, because a proper bite is going to cause a fairly significant amount of damage, regardless of what happens after that), and deal with the animal from there, then yes, it can be dealt with.

Dogs are not unstoppable organic machines of destruction, even when trained for that sort of duty. Most police K9 officers have the philosophy that a dog will not ever save your life. The best you can hope for is that they will provide you the opportunity to save your own life, and hopefully the dog's as well.
    I have a 110 pound pitbull mastiff mix that can run like the wind blows. People always ask me his breed and I tell them he is a "Dogo Americano" . He looks just like a brown and white version of a Dogo Argentino but he has the pretty light eyes of a blue pit.
    I have seen him snap cow bones in half like they were butter. The initial bite from a dog like him on the forearm could be a game changer. Is there a reason Dogo Argentinos are not used more as police dogs?
    My family raised wolf hybrids when I was a child so I have always been around big strong dogs but I have never seen another breed snap bones like Mastiffs and dogos.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Your response reminds me of how Kratos responds to dogs in God of War 2.
    I am thinking about trying to get a tax exemption for becoming a Priest of Mars and having a dojo be my church.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a pet phrase of mine. It is equivalent to a rhetorical "I think maybe you missed the mark, but who am I to argue ?"
    Dude this thread title is perfect for the subject at hand.

"Master Wong challenge any boxer!"

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a 110 pound pitbull mastiff mix that can run like the wind blows. People always ask me his breed and I tell them he is a "Dogo Americano" . He looks just like a brown and white version of a Dogo Argentino but he has the pretty light eyes of a blue pit.
    I have seen him snap cow bones in half like they were butter. The initial bite from a dog like him on the forearm could be a game changer. Is there a reason Dogo Argentinos are not used more as police dogs?
    My family raised wolf hybrids when I was a child so I have always been around big strong dogs but I have never seen another breed snap bones like Mastiffs and dogos.
    Ultimately, it is because even within the breeds where dogs have been consciously and selectively bred specifically with the purpose of producing working K-9s, the probability that an individual dog would have everything necessary to make the cut as a working police dog is fairly low. Working dogs and working dog training is very much like martial arts in that regard. There are working dogs that are fine competition dogs (there is a whole sport around this - schutzhund), and some that may be decent civil protection dogs, that will still never make the cut as a police k9. The police K9s could be considered professional athletes - very few individual animals have what it takes, and that is out of a pool of literally hundreds of thousands of German Shepherds that have been selectively bred with that sole purpose in mind. So, on the economy of scales, apply that principle to the number of dogo argentinos available, and the odds of finding one is just ridiculously low. And, if you were to happen to find one that could honestly do it, it would be a precious rarity, and I could guarantee the dog would not be for sale.

There are also other considerations, outside of just being able to bite. The dog has to be trainable (mastiff breeds tend to fall short in that regard, which is why there are very few rottweilers in active duty - they are just plain hard headed), and controllable. Just as an example of what I am talking about - a dog that will not "out" (let go on command) during the protection/bitework phase of a working trial is automatically failed per international rules, and cannot be officially titled. Plus there are physical considerations. Bigger is not always better, and once a dog gets to be over 90 lbs, their size becomes a detriment, because they are generally not going to be as agile. This is why the USAF has traditionally favored the Belgian Malinois. They average 60ish lbs, and the smaller size makes them much better suited to searching within the tight confines of aircraft.

This is a very, very simple answer, that really just barely scratches the surface of an incredibly complex subject. I cut it short to keep it from rambling any more than it already has, so don't think that what I have offered is in any way complete.

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude this thread title is perfect for the subject at hand.

I agree...

"You come acroh this...you gohn ha beeg prahlem!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xioBwpTLJ_A

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    If I was going to train an attack dog, I would specifically train it to only attack the balls. I don't care how tough someone is the dog would "win" that encounter regardless.
    Krav madog.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456