Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Style
    BJJ, Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Learning BJJ techniques outside the gym

Hey y'all, this is my first post in this forum and this seemed like the right place for this question. I've very recently started learning Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in a local gym (about 3 weeks in) and I'm loving it so far. The class structure is usually half the class is dedicated to learning and drilling techniques such as mount escapes and passes, followed by rolling. At the rate of the class we learn about 2 techniques in a day, and at 3 weeks in (about my 7th-8th class) I've learned little of the basics. What we drill can only really be taken advantage of once you have decent technical knowledge and a good repertoire of submissions to draw from. I've technically learned no submissions in class, there are only three submissions I know how to do: a rear naked choke, an arm bar, and a guillotine. I've been thinking about learning some techniques outside of class, as I'd like to know at least one escape and one submission from the most common positions, maybe in Youtube videos, drilling them alone and experimenting with them during rolling. Is this something that's frowned upon or is considered unsportsmanlike? It's not about 'winning' rolls or trying to get an edge over the other students, getting tapped out is mostly all I do right now and I know that's normal for my level, I can handle that. I just want to learn at a pace that works better for me. I just feel quite clueless right now because all I can do is escape mount after mount without knowing how to do anything edgewise. That's probably how being a white belt works for everyone but I just don't feel the benefit in being clueless because I don't have a well rounded pool of techniques to draw from, and this is the best way I can think of. Opinions from people more familiar with the BJJ culture? I just want to know if this is standard fare and I'm overthinking it, or if I'm committing something haram.

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido

Quote Originally Posted by Rebi View Post
    I've been thinking about learning some techniques outside of class, as I'd like to know at least one escape and one submission from the most common positions, maybe in Youtube videos, drilling them alone and experimenting with them during rolling. Is this something that's frowned upon or is considered unsportsmanlike?
    Unless your school has a standarized curriculum, there should be no problem.

At your stage, you should avoid youtube and look for DVD's or books focused in basic and reliable techniques and in how they are connected. I personally suggest Roy Dean's Blue Belt Requirements (not expensive IIRC) and Saulo Ribeiro's Jiu Jitsu University.

Style
    MMA BJJ TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebi View Post
    Hey y'all, this is my first post in this forum and this seemed like the right place for this question. I've very recently started learning Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in a local gym (about 3 weeks in) and I'm loving it so far. The class structure is usually half the class is dedicated to learning and drilling techniques such as mount escapes and passes, followed by rolling. At the rate of the class we learn about 2 techniques in a day, and at 3 weeks in (about my 7th-8th class) I've learned little of the basics. What we drill can only really be taken advantage of once you have decent technical knowledge and a good repertoire of submissions to draw from. I've technically learned no submissions in class, there are only three submissions I know how to do: a rear naked choke, an arm bar, and a guillotine. I've been thinking about learning some techniques outside of class, as I'd like to know at least one escape and one submission from the most common positions, maybe in Youtube videos, drilling them alone and experimenting with them during rolling. Is this something that's frowned upon or is considered unsportsmanlike? It's not about 'winning' rolls or trying to get an edge over the other students, getting tapped out is mostly all I do right now and I know that's normal for my level, I can handle that. I just want to learn at a pace that works better for me. I just feel quite clueless right now because all I can do is escape mount after mount without knowing how to do anything edgewise. That's probably how being a white belt works for everyone but I just don't feel the benefit in being clueless because I don't have a well rounded pool of techniques to draw from, and this is the best way I can think of. Opinions from people more familiar with the BJJ culture? I just want to know if this is standard fare and I'm overthinking it, or if I'm committing something haram.
    Hello mate and welcome to Bullshido

For what it is worth I am a 4 stripe white belt in BJJ (although have plenty of experience in MA in general) and still look forward to being owned throughout my Jitsu lessons! I learn from a guy who is a Nic Gregoriades black belt and I find the conceptual approach really suits me. Nic's Blueprint for BJJ is a good purchase- if you sign up to his newsletters I'm sure it won't be too long before he offers some sort of discount on his products too!

Enjoy your mat time!

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Rebi, welcome to Bullshido.

As long as you don't use techniques Inappropriate for your level (leg locks, neck cranks, bicep slicer) you'll be fine.

I wouldn't worry about training too many new subs, start building a map to the ones you know. 2 guard passes, move to side control, set armbar. And use open mat time wisely.

Good luck mang.

Style
    MMA BJJ TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramirezmma View Post
    Hey Rebi, welcome to Bullshido.

As long as you don't use techniques Inappropriate for your level (leg locks, neck cranks, bicep slicer) you'll be fine.

I wouldn't worry about training too many new subs, start building a map to the ones you know. 2 guard passes, move to side control, set armbar. And use open mat time wisely.

Good luck mang.
    I used a biceps slicer once when rolling in a BJJ session (MMA background)- caught a blue belt with it. Was this a prohibited move for my grade? (4 str. white belt).

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't get too hung up on "techniques" its all the transitioning that is between them that is important.
    One of the best things you can do solo.

If you have the money a Combat X trainer is kind of fun.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gold_ax666 View Post
    I used a biceps slicer once when rolling in a BJJ session (MMA background)- caught a blue belt with it. Was this a prohibited move for my grade? (4 str. white belt).
    Depends on the gym, the rules are all over the place. There are gyms where subs are not limited at all by belt level. These tend to be the best gyms.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Depends on the gym, the rules are all over the place. There are gyms where subs are not limited at all by belt level. These tend to be the best gyms.
    yes, I love it when other white belts throw on leg locks and neck cranks. I'll give them this, they are very careful about it.

To contribute to the thread, I'd say be cautious about learning outside of class. If you teachers have a general plan on how they progress, stick with that. Just watching stuff or reading about it can help you, but what Goodlun wrote about general body skills and coordination is really most important thing.

As an example, I have a difficult time applying a lot of joint locks and chokes against resistance, due to arthritis in my wrists and shoulders, even when in a dominant position. I know how to do them, but, it's like applying the lock to myself, LOL!

So I work on maintaining control a lot, on flowing, surviving, instead of trying to be a submission machine.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    yes, I love it when other white belts throw on leg locks and neck cranks. I'll give them this, they are very careful about it.
    Those are white belts that from the get go that learn to hide their feet and protect there necks.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suppose the I should add the caveat that those white belts are learning those techniques in class and not off of youtube and everyone knows when to tap to them, knows how they are applied properly and knows when not to crank on them. These are all things a white belt can learn, and there are indeed gyms that teach these things to them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last