Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Judo

Dane Johnson - Salt City Karate, Kick Boxing, Judo and Fitness Center

Salt City Karate, Kick Boxing, Judo and Fitness Center – Syracuse, NY. Address: 1900 Brewerton Rd Syracuse, New York 13211

https://saltcitykarate.com/instructors/

Dane Johnson - Judo rank "red belt" (no dan rank listed, just "red belt"), claims 13 years of judo training, but his demonstrations are Yonkyu level, at best. Not listed in USJA or USA Judo.

(for those unfamiliar with judo rank, a red belt is usually awarded to someone at 9th degree black belt, or Kudan. By any recognizable standard, Kudan are usually at least 70 years old and have been practicing judo 40 or 50 years.)

Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmb...FprvTrLc2xTmFw has already had some videos made private since a judo coaches group has started to investigate.

Two "red belts" engaging in something that somewhat resembles randori https://youtu.be/Uu4zMqqL2_I
    There are other "red belt instructors" at the school but I am unable to identify them.

-"breaking boards" for a judo test?
    -"red belts" in judo and under age 80?
    -wearing socks, shoes and warm-up pants in almost every judo video
    -incredibly poor technique in every demonstration

Anyone searching for Dane Johnson, Judo Instructor should see this posting
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capturedj.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	17103  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capturedj2.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	17104  

Name:	Capturedj3.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	17105  

Name:	Capture87.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	17107  

Name:	Capturedj5.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	17108  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Pete838; 6/24/2016 1:32pm at . Reason: added info and photos

Style
    Judo
    Email sent to school advising of this posting:

Your dojo has been noticed and a thread has been started at bullshido.com, a website dedicated to exposing fraud in martial arts. You can view the thread at the link below and respond if you like.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=125670

-Pete838

Style
    all things in Moderation
    No Dane Johnson on the site you linked instructors' page. We do have some seriously odd looking things just on a cursory glance tho
    Quote Originally Posted by saltcityKarate.com
    Mr. Jeffrey C. Bertolo Sensei-Dojo Cho 7th Dan.
    Traditional Japanese Karate-Do

Affiliated with A.I.K.I.A (American Independent karate Instructors Association)

Bertolo-Sensei (pronounced Sen-Say) has lived in Mattydale, NY all of his life. He opened the city’s first multiplex school and since then has been a leader in promoting Karate-Do in Central New York.
    He currently holds the rank of Black Belt 7th Dan and has more than 40 years of training and instructions in his credit.

He has also trained with numerous world champions including Bill “SuperFoot” Wallace, Master Hidy Ochiai, Joe “The Golden Boy” Lewis, Benny “The Jet” Urquidez and 10 time world champion John Chung.

Bertolo-Sensei was a P.K.C. Super Middle Weight kick-boxer and has promoted Pro Kickboxing events in Central New York, along with World Class Seminars.

Jeffrey Bertolo operates a successful program for all ages and types of people including teaching children in local school programs.
    I hope someone grabs some screen shots I have a suspicion it will be changing soon.

Quote Originally Posted by saltcitykarate.com
    Mr. David Jakubowski has more than 20 years of experience in the Martial Arts specializing in Shotokan Karate and American Kenpo.
    His experience and tenure at Salt City Karate has earned Mr. David the title of Kohai ( junior student).

Mr. David competes in tournaments in the Syracuse area and has also assisted in after school karate programs in various schools.

Mr. David believes in conducting classes that are fun, but still disciplined.
    Mr. David is committed to teaching the students of Salt City Karate to not only be great Martial Artists, but also to be responsible and outstanding members of society.
    Is there another bio I am missing somewhere on their site?

Here is a link to their JUDO section on their site, no instuctors listed but I do see the fellow in question in the pictures.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

Style
    Judo
    The screen shots posted above were taken from their page yesterday. It has been changed today. I was able to grab some cached Google content (http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...m/instructors/) but that will only be available for a few days.

Screen caps from cache and PDF from cache added.

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	17109  

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	17111  

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Pete838; 6/25/2016 10:40am at .

Style
    Judo
    Additional photo showing Dane Johnson proudly displaying his red obi, with his name listed as "instructor"

Name:	Capture12.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	17112  

Style
    Punch and Grab
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete838 View Post
    Salt City Karate, Kick Boxing, Judo and Fitness Center – Syracuse, NY. Address: 1900 Brewerton Rd Syracuse, New York 13211

Dane Johnson - Judo rank "red belt" (no dan rank listed, just "red belt"), claims 13 years of judo training, but his demonstrations are Yonkyu level, at best. Not listed in USJA or USA Judo.
    It doesn't say 'Judo red belt', just 'red belt'. From the look of things the 'red belt' could be his rank in whatever style of karate it is, and he's just wearing the belt/uniform while doing 'Judo'. A bit shifty but not exactly underhand of or unethical, provided that he is not attributing his red belt to be a ranking in Judo which already has a rank attached to a red belt.

Slight aside, the Kesa escape video on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir7u...XiaM_&index=13
    It is the single most stupid thing I have watched today. Completely impractical and impossible to do against any opponent with an iota of sense or training (trust me, I tried to do it against a Yonkyu today and all he did was ask what the hell I was doing), and I think is a strong indicator of the overall quality of Judo instruction from the institution as a whole.

Style
    Judo
    By wearing a red belt while recording judo instruction videos he's certainly giving the impression and leading people to believe he is ranked in judo. If it's not outright fraud it's certainly intentionally misleading. The fact that he has been removed from the list of instructors already suggests the school owner may have some integrity and was perhaps misled about Dane's bonafides.

Another place on the site, Dane Johnson is being congratulated for earning his karate brown belt last August.

https://saltcitykarate.com/2015/08/2...lt-promotions/

Furthermore, on the website, they have a USJF RSS feed, suggesting they might be affiliated with the USJF, but I've so far been unable to locate them in the list of USJF chartered clubs.
    Last edited by Pete838; 6/25/2016 1:43pm at .

Style
    Punch and Grab
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete838 View Post
    By wearing a red belt while recording judo instruction videos he's certainly giving the impression and leading people to believe he is ranked in judo. If it's not outright fraud it's certainly intentionally misleading. The fact that he has been removed from the list of instructors already suggests the school owner may have some integrity and was perhaps misled about Dane's bonafides.

Another place on the site, Dane Johnson is being congratulated for earning his karate brown belt last August.

https://saltcitykarate.com/2015/08/2...lt-promotions/

Furthermore, on the website, they have a USJF RSS feed, suggesting they might be affiliated with the USJF, but I've so far been unable to locate them in the list of USJF chartered clubs.
    If he's being congratulated on receiving a brown belt then yeah you were right, guys playing a dodgy
    My bad.

Style
    xingyi
    We've had this discussion on the website before. It is bad form to teach implying a higher rank in one art when it is actually lower. Anyone who has tied a belt knows, it only takes a few seconds to change. Honestly, in the dojo, I could care less. It's when you start advertising and making it unclear when I begin to have problems.

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    Here is the page from November 8th, 2015

http://web.archive.org/web/201511080...m/instructors/

Mr. Dane Johnson.

Dane Johnson: Red Belt in Judo, one of the main Judo instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 Last