Page 7 of 12 First ... 34567891011 ... Last
  1. #61
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,793
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I just want some clarification
    When you say "competitive judo black belt" you use that term in a very broad sense right?
    As in literally a Black Belt that competes?
    Including the very recreational players right?
    Someone who competes regularly, but is not on an elite track or training for high(er) level competition. That could cover some 'recreational" judoka, but that type doesn't in general train more than a couple of times a week, and does not compete (in shiai) regularly.

    In any case, the average black belt in judo is not going to be a wizard at ne waza, and a decent purple belt will tie them up in knots.

    If I were to extrapolate/interpolate a bit, if I could get my 25 year old body back, and know what i know now, I competitive BJJ purple belt (not world class) my size would be a tough row to hoe for me on the ground, technically. Forget a competitive brown or god forbid black belt in BJJ. And I competed and trained a LOT. The "average" black belt in Judo, in the US at least, I went through like a dose of salts, back when I actually was active competitor. Yet put me up against the top five08 in my weight class in Judo (in the US) and I would maybe last a minute or two at most, against top 3 2 minutes would be a miracle standing or on the ground.

    Like my Dad told me years ago, "Son, average is pretty poor".

    I should add that I came from a ground work heavy tradition in Judo, and my two primary judo sensei were very good at groundwork, and classes were almost always 50/50 standing and ground, including drills and randori. I won a LOT of judo matches with groundwork. Coaches would yell "don't get on the ground with him, get up, get up". Of course, I was in good shape, and a mean little ginger ************ who was used to getting the crap beat out of him by larger black belts on a regular basis too...
    Last edited by BKR; 5/25/2016 5:24pm at .
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  2. #62
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,793
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Yes like I said why would anyone own one ;)
    Of course if you do compete in that dreadful org, you need their gear.
    But owning one you can't even use to compete in given its your belt level I really don't freaking understand.
    Especially since there are 1000s of really awesome Rash Guards that are great for around the gym.


    https://www.ritstudio.com/color-library
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  3. #63
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,550
    Style
    Jits
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ViolentTendency View Post
    I would be very surprised if a BJJ blue belt got hurt by a JJ black belt.


    It depends on which JJ are we talking about.

  4. #64
    Ulsteryank's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    N. Ireland
    Posts
    348
    Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    I would also point out that by custom (and under many of the major BJJ tournament rulesets),
    it is against the rules for a Judo black belt to compete in a BJJ tournament as a white belt.
    Usually they are expected to be entered as at least a blue belt,
    and potentially higher if appropriate.
    WTF this is news to me! Not only is there a couple in our club that have, but I had to fight one in my 1st tournament, as did many others. Obviously that hasn't caught on here yet. Some of my mates just Facebook stalked names in their white bracket and saw pics of them teaching, and even promoting.

    I'm always weary of white belts with perfectly symmetrical belts&crisp square knots. If they come out with their right foot forward I just don't gamble on the chance of them being just a southpaw. Slap those grips away and shoot if I didn't shoot first!

  5. #65
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,793
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsteryank View Post
    WTF this is news to me! Not only is there a couple in our club that have, but I had to fight one in my 1st tournament, as did many others. Obviously that hasn't caught on here yet. Some of my mates just Facebook stalked names in their white bracket and saw pics of them teaching, and even promoting.

    I'm always weary of white belts with perfectly symmetrical belts&crisp square knots. If they come out with their right foot forward I just don't gamble on the chance of them being just a southpaw. Slap those grips away and shoot if I didn't shoot first!
    Right foot forward would be righty judoka, normally. Unless you are a righty too, in which case he may be trying to fool you, or is using an alternate gripping tactic.

    I think the "no black belt in white belt bjj tourney" is an IBJJF thing mostly.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  6. #66

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    593
    Style
    PTK & GJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ViolentTendency View Post
    I would be very surprised if a BJJ blue belt got hurt by a JJ black belt.
    Depends. In my brief foray into JJJ in the early 2000's, my instructor had a very legit Judo background. My impression at the time was that many others did as well.

  7. #67

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    41
    Style
    MT, BJJ, BKB, Barfighting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post

    It depends on which JJ are we talking about.
    Wow, yeah I stand corrected. Never seen anything like that from JJ before.

  8. #68
    Ulsteryank's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    N. Ireland
    Posts
    348
    Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Right foot forward would be righty judoka, normally. Unless you are a righty too, in which case he may be trying to fool you, or is using an alternate gripping tactic.

    I think the "no black belt in white belt bjj tourney" is an IBJJF thing mostly.
    The Irish Open is the biggest one we have. I think it's IBJJF rules because we couldn't do singles with our head to the outside or jump guard at White, but don't know if it's official IBJJF. The only bigger one would be travelling to the British Open where the big names drop by, so that might be different.

    Yea one of our Judo guys was running a takedown class on Wednesdays and introduced us to it. It was weird at 1st being a lefty from orthodox wrestling. I got used to doing singles and fireman's carries on the other side and all. Was starting to get the hang of it, but unfortunately he'd to move to England for work. ....

    It kind of ties in with our subject. Not only did he wear his blackbelt since that particular class was taught through the mediumship of Judo, but out of respect for him our instructor made all of the advanced students take of their colour belts and put on white belts, and we're a strictly Gracie Barra BJJ Academy, though that class was done in the back room.

  9. #69

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    2,179
    Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ViolentTendency View Post
    I would be very surprised if a BJJ blue belt got hurt by a JJ black belt.
    Real life challenge matches are not always what you see in the marketing videos.

  10. #70
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,793
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsteryank View Post
    The Irish Open is the biggest one we have. I think it's IBJJF rules because we couldn't do singles with our head to the outside or jump guard at White, but don't know if it's official IBJJF. The only bigger one would be travelling to the British Open where the big names drop by, so that might be different.

    Yea one of our Judo guys was running a takedown class on Wednesdays and introduced us to it. It was weird at 1st being a lefty from orthodox wrestling. I got used to doing singles and fireman's carries on the other side and all. Was starting to get the hang of it, but unfortunately he'd to move to England for work. ....

    It kind of ties in with our subject. Not only did he wear his blackbelt since that particular class was taught through the mediumship of Judo, but out of respect for him our instructor made all of the advanced students take of their colour belts and put on white belts, and we're a strictly Gracie Barra BJJ Academy, though that class was done in the back room.
    To be clear, you can be a lefty or righty in Judo. For a front turning throw (think hip toss), a righty turns counter-clockwise, a lefty, clockwise. A righty typically leads with his right leg and right arm/hand. Lefty is opposite.

    On the IJBJJF website, upcoming events, all of them have "IBJJF" in the title. The stuff I found on the "Irish Open" from 2015 didn't. I suspect the Irish Open and British Open are not IBJJF events...

    British Nat'l 2016 - Logo Small (134x72)
    British National Jiu-Jitsu IBJJF Championship
    June 25th & 26th, 2016 - London, United Kingdom
    Register Now More info / Athlete List: by Academy / by Division
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 7 of 12 First ... 34567891011 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in