Page 10 of 12 First ... 6789101112 Last
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Meh you don't need a rank bar stripes are for pussies that need validation that they are improving.
    We don't stripe white belts. The Gracie Academy(Helio's) didn't and Relson doesnt. Relson doesn't care if his affiliate schools do but again Balance HQ and Tampa Jiu-Jitsu dont.

As far as stripes on the belts I think they are important. They are basically a belt grade in any other martial art.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    . Holy **** this subject is just the tip of the iceberg.
    How so? I am pretty insulated. I don't really have time to go to other schools. I will get privates with super stars but besides that I just don't go to other teams schools.

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Ok now that is a bit silly, I mean to own an IBJJF ranked rash gaurd er um I mean to own one of a different rank than you are.....no wait I mean to own one at all
    i dunno, my dojo has a relationship with fuji and i have been given some of them to test out, i have a basic all black one (other than fuji branding) and a couple of their IBJJF ones in brown (my judo rank.) i *probably* wouldn't wear one to a BJJ class as i have a lot of rash guards and could easily choose a different one, but if i did i'd tell the people i was rolling with about my experience level.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would a police uniform imply someone is a LEO? Would a lab coat imply a scientist or a doctor? I think so. If you have a bjj gi (which to me must be OBVIOUSLY bjj, not just make for it but patched up and advertising bjj) you better wear your bjj belt.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphiidae View Post
    Would a police uniform imply someone is a LEO? Would a lab coat imply a scientist or a doctor? I think so. If you have a bjj gi (which to me must be OBVIOUSLY bjj, not just make for it but patched up and advertising bjj) you better wear your bjj belt.

I remember buying a labcoat and a bunch of textbooks at the university bookstore back in the day.
    Waking across campus carrying said coat and a stack of anatomy books etc is a great way to hook up.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphiidae View Post
    True story, I have a white lab coat that I wear around the office. I'm not in medicine or science. It's a comfortable piece of clothing that affords me pocket space. There are plenty of doctors and nurses and scientists that DON'T wear lab coats.

I think you have to draw a line with LEO/military uniforms (excepting Halloween/costume parties/entertainment industries). There's an implied authority with said garbs that transcends most contexts. And, it's probably illegal.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    I remember buying a labcoat and a bunch of textbooks at the university bookstore back in the day.
    Waking across campus carrying said coat and a stack of anatomy books etc is a great way to hook up.
    My friend Bob became "Dr. Bob the Foot Doctor" when he was out causing mischief before he settled down.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    How so? I am pretty insulated. I don't really have time to go to other schools. I will get privates with super stars but besides that I just don't go to other teams schools.
    I went to three schools that insisted on me wearing a white belt. Two of those asked me to wear my black on my next visit. 1 made me play monkey in the middle. Another asked me if I'd teach the class for tonight after the owner told me I couldn't come to the class because it was only for an advanced belt. One school got pissed at me because they wanted us to do Osoto Gari on each other and he said I executed too hard even though the person barely hit the ground. One school got pissed off that I did a leg lock on a purple belt that tried to throw a leg lock on me first. I had one school where the Professor seemed like he wanted to teach me a lesson; after the round timer went off he insisted that we continue our roll for 4 straight rounds. I had two schools who had no business teaching throws. I went to one school wear their professional fighter and half their MMA team knew who I was but insisted I take the beginners course. This same school had such a various level of skill that I felt some of the blue belts were better skilled than the one brown and purple I rolled with. One of the aforementioned schools were telling me I wouldn't be able to pull that off if I was being punched. I only had one school ask me what my experience was and allowed me to wear my rank on the floor.

The difference in "tradition" some schools circled, others lined up. Some had me stand with the instructor, others made me stand in line. Some schools had adults wearing green belts and yellow belts. Another school you could only wear white and blue, others you could wear tie died if you wanted to. I originally wanted to video tape my experience but most schools wouldn't let me video tape. I made some good connections but overall I decided to go back into seclusion and just train my guys at my gym.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I went to three schools that insisted on me wearing a white belt. Two of those asked me to wear my black on my next visit. 1 made me play monkey in the middle. Another asked me if I'd teach the class for tonight after the owner told me I couldn't come to the class because it was only for an advanced belt. One school got pissed at me because they wanted us to do Osoto Gari on each other and he said I executed too hard even though the person barely hit the ground. One school got pissed off that I did a leg lock on a purple belt that tried to throw a leg lock on me first. I had one school where the Professor seemed like he wanted to teach me a lesson; after the round timer went off he insisted that we continue our roll for 4 straight rounds. I had two schools who had no business teaching throws. I went to one school wear their professional fighter and half their MMA team knew who I was but insisted I take the beginners course. This same school had such a various level of skill that I felt some of the blue belts were better skilled than the one brown and purple I rolled with. One of the aforementioned schools were telling me I wouldn't be able to pull that off if I was being punched. I only had one school ask me what my experience was and allowed me to wear my rank on the floor.

The difference in "tradition" some schools circled, others lined up. Some had me stand with the instructor, others made me stand in line. Some schools had adults wearing green belts and yellow belts. Another school you could only wear white and blue, others you could wear tie died if you wanted to. I originally wanted to video tape my experience but most schools wouldn't let me video tape. I made some good connections but overall I decided to go back into seclusion and just train my guys at my gym.
    It gets weird at the higher levels. I just pretty much train with people from my team. Luckily we have a pretty big network. If there is a Balance or Relson Gym I will train there. Otherwise if there is a guy I wanna train with I would just buy a private.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We're starting to develop a team amongst a small group of schools but it all boils down to getting together with like minded groups.

Page 10 of 12 First ... 6789101112 Last