Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    Judo & WTF Taekwondo

Embroidered Brown Belts (Judo)

I had my first grading as a 1st Kyu for Judo on the weekend and couldn't help but notice a decent chunk of the other brown belts had their names embroidered on their belts.

Now my personal take on this is that I don't have any intention of spending any longer on my brown than absolutely necessary so I can't real grasp why someone would bother with getting their name embroidered - save that **** for 1st Dan.

So does anyone out their either:
    a) know people who do this
    b) train at a club where its a common practice, or
    c) do it themselves.

I'm basically trying to come up with an explanation as to why - and if you're that worried about losing your precious brown belt get one of those name tags sewn onto that you had in primary school.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeD81 View Post
    I had my first grading as a 1st Kyu for Judo on the weekend and couldn't help but notice a decent chunk of the other brown belts had their names embroidered on their belts.

Now my personal take on this is that I don't have any intention of spending any longer on my brown than absolutely necessary so I can't real grasp why someone would bother with getting their name embroidered - save that **** for 1st Dan.

c) do it themselves.

I'm basically trying to come up with an explanation as to why - and if you're that worried about losing your precious brown belt get one of those name tags sewn onto that you had in primary school.
    I had my stripes and name sewn on my bjj brown belt, but I think I could have went from white to Black in judo for the same amount of time I was a brown belt in bjj. It's only like 10 bucks or so at a cheaper embroidery shop.

Style
    Jits
    I've never seen an embroidered brown belt.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    I had my stripes and name sewn on my bjj brown belt, but I think I could have went from white to Black in judo for the same amount of time I was a brown belt in bjj. It's only like 10 bucks or so at a cheaper embroidery shop.
    How long where you at Brown?
    I only ask cause around these parts the Browns that are going to become Blacks tend to be in Brown for a relatively short period of time. At least in comparison how long them spend in Purple.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    How long where you at Brown?
    I only ask cause around these parts the Browns that are going to become Blacks tend to be in Brown for a relatively short period of time. At least in comparison how long them spend in Purple.
    I think about 3 years. I actually wasn't a purple very long. I was consistently catching non tier 1 black and brown belts at purple belt. I was only a purple for 1.5 years.

My belt progress off the top of my head.
    White belt 3.5 months- I placed 2nd at grapplers quest after 2 months of training.
    Blue 3 years
    Purple 1.5
    Brown 3.5
    Black
    Years in grade hide the hours.
    Last edited by Raycetpfl; 5/16/2016 3:40pm at .

Style
    Punch and Grab

c) do it themselves.

I've seen embroiled Yellow, Orange, Green (lots) and one blue

Honestly never seen someone with and embroiled brown, I figured by the time a practitioner had grown up sufficiently to get a brown/1st Kyu their parents didn't need to put their name on the belt

Then again some people are just mongs

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ

c) do it themselves.

I can't recall seeing a name on a brown belt.

I could see perhaps doing it in small letters by the label IF you trained at a large club with a LOT of other brown belts.

I'm not a big fan of embroidery on black belts either. I never had it done for myself. Some guys have all sorts of crap in gold kanji/hiri or katakana on their belts (name, rank, club) on their belts.

I do wear a belt now that has red embroidery on it, though. My students gave it to me as a going away gift when I left Tulane University for Idaho.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    i've seen it once or twice, but it's not common. i've been a brown belt for going on 6 years now, so mine is really tattered, but no kanji ;)
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    Judo & WTF Taekwondo
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Yeah - I wouldn't begrudge anyone getting their purple/brown embroidered in BJJ considering how long you'll have it. I've only been doing judo 2.5 years and I don't really plan on having my brown any longer than necessary.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    Fancy belts of any color are, in my opinion, silly vanity baubles.
    Get a $5 belt from Amazon and go train.
    I do have a "dress belt" that my black belt students ask me to wear to promotion ceremonies and their marketing events.
    It's my dress belt because it has the red bar and my bjj degree stripes on it.
    But for everyday BJJ and Judo I wear a plain $5 black belt with no red bar, no stripes, just a handle for people to try and throw or sweep me with.
    I'll wear a white belt just as easily and not care.
    Neither fancy uniforms nor darker belt colors make much difference in real training.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last