Page 21 of 38 First ... 1117181920212223242531 ... Last

Thread: Decking Hos

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Machining skills are a big portion of being a competent gunsmith. Those skills are easier to come by. Most trade schools can teach you the machining skills. You can learn a lot about the guns themselves from AGI courses and whatnot. And then through practice.

In addition to live instruction, the biggest thing you miss if you don't go to a gunsmithing school is that you don't just get to learn from your own mistakes in school. You get to learn from everybody else's mistakes in class because they're working on the same projects and encountering completely different problems. That's valuable.
    Yeah. Self instruction is no replacement for a proper class, it's just better than nothing. I think my first major project once I finish getting my new Tokarev up to snuff is going to be building a 1911 from an 80% receiver.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    1911 from an 80% receiver.
    Dude. Please don't. Building a 1911 is not an easy project. It is an advanced project. It was one of the last things we did in school. Even rebuilding an already functioning 1911 to accurize it is a serious project. And if you're talking about taking a frame that doesn't even have all the holes drilled and ****, I can promise you right now it is going to be a gigantic ass wound. If you change one thing on a 1911, you might have to change five other things to make the gun run again.

Learn to bed a rifle or something manageable like that.

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    Dude. Please don't. Building a 1911 is not an easy project. It is an advanced project. It was one of the last things we did in school. Even rebuilding an already functioning 1911 to accurize it is a serious project. And if you're talking about taking a frame that doesn't even have all the holes drilled and ****, I can promise you right now it is going to be a gigantic ass wound. If you change one thing on a 1911, you might have to change five other things to make the gun run again.

Learn to bed a rifle or something manageable like that.
    I wanted to do a 1911 because it's not super hard to finish an 80% frame with a stealth arms phantom jig and a drill press. I also want to build an ak by bending receiver flats, but I would need a hydraulic press for that.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    I wanted to do a 1911 because it's not super hard to finish an 80% frame with a stealth arms phantom jig and a drill press. I also want to build an ak by bending receiver flats, but I would need a hydraulic press for that.
    Do your thing.

But what I'm telling you is it's hard enough if you're starting with a custom receiver like a Caspian that is completely finished. They'll come with everything done on the frame except for the rails. The rails will be oversized so you can stone them down to the precise fit you want for your slide.

What machinery do you have? To do it right, you're going to need a milling machine to fit the barrel hood and locking lugs and a lathe for your barrel bushing. I know different companies advertise "drop in" barrels for 1911s. The reality is that there's no such thing as a drop in part for a 1911. Everything will have to be fitted.

People do it. I've done it. It's a serious and expensive project though and you could very well end up with a damn mess.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Just buy a rock island Secret Squirrel.

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    Do your thing.

But what I'm telling you is it's hard enough if you're starting with a custom receiver like a Caspian that is completely finished. They'll come with everything done on the frame except for the rails. The rails will be oversized so you can stone them down to the precise fit you want for your slide.

What machinery do you have? To do it right, you're going to need a milling machine to fit the barrel hood and locking lugs and a lathe for your barrel bushing. I know different companies advertise "drop in" barrels for 1911s. The reality is that there's no such thing as a drop in part for a 1911. Everything will have to be fitted.

People do it. I've done it. It's a serious and expensive project though and you could very well end up with a damn mess.
    Good to know that these guys are full of **** https://www.stealtharms.net/1911-phantom-jig.html

I'll do an Ar and an AK build first than.

Good to know that these guys are full of **** https://www.stealtharms.net/1911-phantom-jig.html

I'll do an Ar and an AK build first than.
    No, you're misunderstanding. All the work that I'm talking about doesn't even happen until all the **** you do with that jig is completed. The jig just gets you to a starting point where the frame can start accepting parts. That has nothing to do with the barrel work I'm talking about.

By all means, if you haven't built an AR, start there.

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    No, you're misunderstanding. All the work that I'm talking about doesn't even happen until all the **** you do with that jig is completed. The jig just gets you to a starting point where the frame can start accepting parts. That has nothing to do with the barrel work I'm talking about.

By all means, if you haven't built an AR, start there.
    Ah, thanks.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Ah, thanks.
    See all that **** talking and bam he still has your fucking back
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hero!

Page 21 of 38 First ... 1117181920212223242531 ... Last