Page 15 of 15 First ... 51112131415

Thread: Opinions needed

  1. #141
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,523
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I was writing from a very basic perspective, Rayce. Nothing is ever truly ever "off the table".
    Some times I feel like everyone goes too far away from what happened in the early UFC's. Royce put away a lot of pretty skilled dudes off his back. That game plan still has legs. It seems to be the thing now to pretend that it's an absolute horrible idea that is doomed to failure. There's a lot of scenarios where it is a one on one attack at it would be a viable option. I guess I unfairly grouped you guys in with that group.
    I mean you're not always fighting 100 people with machetes and if you are in don't think there is a good game plan for that.
    We had one guys who said he would pull his pistol and shoot an unarmed guy who was charging him. LOL! Dead silence...I chimed in and said you might have a tough time explaining that one to a prosecutor and then jury...
    Just make sure you are in FL and he is a black kid and apparently you can get away with it and sell the gun for a 1/4 million.

  2. #142

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    2,179
    Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I was writing from a very basic perspective, Rayce. Nothing is ever truly ever "off the table".

    We had one guys who said he would pull his pistol and shoot an unarmed guy who was charging him. LOL! Dead silence...I chimed in and said you might have a tough time explaining that one to a prosecutor and then jury...
    And yet unarmed men do commit murder.

    If the pistol wielder was very old or disabled or otherwise not a match for the attacker, that might have been the pistol wielder's only chance to defend themselves.

    Particularly given the risk of the attacker taking the weapon off of the person carrying the weapon once things got physical.

    Here's the deal, the initiator of an attack loses some sympathy points from me regarding the damage they sustain when the defender decides to use violence to stop violence.

    I understand there are rules of engagement.

    But I think that people should understand that if they initiate physical violence, that a defender may feel that it is reasonable to stand their ground and interpret that attack as potentially life threatening (as all street fights are, in reality), and employ a serious response to stop the attacker attempting to hurt them.

  3. #143
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,829
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Some times I feel like everyone goes too far away from what happened in the early UFC's. Royce put away a lot of pretty skilled dudes off his back. That game plan still has legs. It seems to be the thing now to pretend that it's an absolute horrible idea that is doomed to failure. There's a lot of scenarios where it is a one on one attack at it would be a viable option. I guess I unfairly grouped you guys in with that group.
    I mean you're not always fighting 100 people with machetes and if you are in don't think there is a good game plan for that.

    Just make sure you are in FL and he is a black kid and apparently you can get away with it and sell the gun for a 1/4 million.
    UFC ? Really?

    Huge skill gap there, Rayce. I thought we were talking in terms of self defense type situations. Not to take away from Royce's abilities in the least.

    Not doomed to failure, how about just likely not to be the first choice overall ?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  4. #144
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,829
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    And yet unarmed men do commit murder.

    If the pistol wielder was very old or disabled or otherwise not a match for the attacker, that might have been the pistol wielder's only chance to defend themselves.

    Particularly given the risk of the attacker taking the weapon off of the person carrying the weapon once things got physical.

    Here's the deal, the initiator of an attack loses some sympathy points from me regarding the damage they sustain when the defender decides to use violence to stop violence.

    I understand there are rules of engagement.

    But I think that people should understand that if they initiate physical violence, that a defender may feel that it is reasonable to stand their ground and interpret that attack as potentially life threatening (as all street fights are, in reality), and employ a serious response to stop the attacker attempting to hurt them.
    I get that. I kept my mouth shut in class after my initial comment, because I wanted to roll, not discuss the subtleties of using lethal force with a teenager making...silly comments because the coach had him out there as uke and he liked the attention.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  5. #145
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,523
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post

    Not doomed to failure, how about just likely not to be the first choice overall ?
    agreed without a doubt.

  6. #146

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    5
    -3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At your level I would stick with learning some simple wrestling moves (And this is coming from a Judoka). Judo moves are complex and while are very effective, take many years to really master. A good single leg is effective and it is low risk, so if you blow it, you won't get in too bad of a position. Over time if you want to really excel at takedowns in the gi, then you can really start to dive into Judo and it will pay dividends

Page 15 of 15 First ... 51112131415

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in