Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Style
    Bjj
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    The savate kick to the liver, particularly if they are wearing savate or wrestling shoes, works.
    Underestimate a savate man wearing his savate "slippers" at your peril.
    Deffinatly an art overlooked. Their fights look more graceful than brutal and they are awarded points with kicks only (think tkd is like this also) but their kicking accuracy/low miss rates is quite spectacular.

Style
    Se-Jong TKD
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    I don't know if you're onto something that I'm not, but I have never been able to throw a right (back-leg, non-spinning) hook kick that ever did jack ****. It's hard enough make a lead hook more than a slap in the face, and trying to get power out of the back leg hook kick criss-crossing your body... it's a nightmare.
    I do use feint round kick--- throw hook kick.... off of the left low kick. Which I guess just sort of reinforces my point.
    I can't throw a decent hook kick with power, but I know a few people who can with either leg.

I've thought of two more reasons to drill body kicks:
    1. PKA Full Contact Kickboxing rules do not allow leg kicks.
    2. To protect the pad holders legs, have them hold the pad higher during drills. Even with pads, repeated leg kicks can't be good for your knees.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kanegs View Post
    I can't throw a decent hook kick with power, but I know a few people who can with either leg.

I've thought of two more reasons to drill body kicks:
    1. PKA Full Contact Kickboxing rules do not allow leg kicks.
    2. To protect the pad holders legs, have them hold the pad higher during drills. Even with pads, repeated leg kicks can't be good for your knees.
    I am certainly not an expert kick boxer but here's my two cents.

One of the major uses for a rear leg hook that i was taught is to throw it to yank down the guard and in the same motion as youre landing your foot back in your stance you are coming with a heavy left hook to the jaw.

It's a very simular set up as Dan Henderson uses with his lead leg inside leg kick to over hand right in the sense that it allows major weight transfer to the punch and you can cover a lot of ground to get into punching range very quickly .

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravbizarre View Post
    Deffinatly an art overlooked. Their fights look more graceful than brutal and they are awarded points with kicks only (think tkd is like this also) but their kicking accuracy/low miss rates is quite spectacular.
    I'm am not a savate man, but I trained with one once who was kind enough to kick me in my liver and make me ask to take a short break.

From what I recall of our conversations, Savate players use boxing hands and are awarded points for such,

But they are awarded points much more generously for kicking.

Respect the Point of the Shoe!

Style
    Shotokan & BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Savate and karate have a round kick to the body that hits with the ball of the foot or tip of the shoe, with the idea that it can go around a cover or between 2 parallel forearms to ding the solar plexis or liver. I've been on the giving and receiving end of it and think it has some utility, but its also pretty easy to **** up your foot like that. I've never been able to throw full power ones on a heavy bag. But I do think its a worthwhile variation to know, especially if you're gonna throw a right body kick after a cross, since a right leg attack without good hip rotation will have to make up the difference in TKD snappiness.
    One of my old karate teachers could hurt you through a kicking shield (granted not the really thick ones) with the ball of the foot roundhouse kick.

I got almost proficient with it for a short time when I devoted a fair amount of effort to it (and nearly broke my toes a lot) on a heavy bag. However, I always felt that the required angle would always be slower than striking with the shin.

Style
    BJJ blue, judo ikkyu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kanegs View Post
    Even with pads, repeated leg kicks can't be good for your knees.
    Er...how ya figure?
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    Er...how ya figure?
    A lot of guys drape the pad over the leg and accept the low kick when training kickboxing combos. That could be rough after a while.

That said. ..the better pad holders don't do this, in my experience.

Style
    講手
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think that kicking people is that effective in general outside of sports.

Style
    BJJ blue, judo ikkyu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
    I don't think that kicking people is that effective in general outside of sports.
    I don't mean to be a broken record here, but, uh...how ya figure?
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Style
    講手
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    I don't mean to be a broken record here, but, uh...how ya figure?
    I've been trained how to kick people, but it's never come out when I wasn't playing except once. Like, I've fought dozens of dudes and just never felt the need to off balance myself to deal damage.

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last