Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last
    Style
    MMA/Pankration
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My encounter in Chinatown

About a week ago, I was in an altercation with a drunken moron in downtown Calgary (in Chinatown, right before the Centre Street Bridge.) I was waiting for the #3 bus, on my way home from work (I actually didn't have to work that night, so I left.) I saw a tow-haired white guy get out of a cab, it sounded like he was yelling or arguing with the driver. I couldn't really tell, my headphones were on.

Anyway, he comes walking towards me so I keep my eyes on him. He says something, so to be polite I take one of my headphones out and remove the scarf from my face (it's fucking cold here in the winter, if you weren't aware.)

I said, "Pardon me?", or something like that.

"You're lookin' pretty hardcore there!", he fucking slurred, reeking of alcohol, greasy mug all fucked up, ugly orange jacket, douchebag peach-fuzz beard, etc...

"Just trying to stay warm", I replied.

He said something about 'just jokes' or whatever. I put my scarf on and my 1 headphone back in and go back to waiting for the bus. But I guess this guy needs someone to listen to his drunk ass so he keeps talking. I didn't know if he was talking to me or not, but I couldn't really hear him anyway. I just keep him in my periphery and try to enjoy my music. But a minute or so later, he tries to get my attention by touching my arm.

"What is it?", I ask him.

"Are you dissin' me?" he said, with a glazed look on his face.

"No, man, I can't hear you! I'm listening to my music."

"I'm talking to you, you ignoring me?"

"No, I couldn't hear you! Just leave me alone."

"What are you a fucking ******?"

I moved inside the bus shelter to put something in between us. He starts going off about things like... 'do you know who I am?' and 'I make more money in a day than you **** out in a year' and 'I'll stomp your face into the curb', except much less articulate because he was totally gooned. He starts walking towards me again, inside the bus shelter (which also contained a really cute little black lady, which may or may not have been affecting his behavior.) He keeps making threats, I just say go ahead. The girl walks out of the bus shelter, probably a good idea. He starts presenting his chin to me, asking me to take a shot. I say I'm not an idiot, repeatedly told him to leave me alone and finally, just walked out of the shelter through a broken window (instead of the actual entryway, which he was standing in.)

I think I was going to try and walk home, but he was still yelling at me, calling me a ***** and homeless ******, or something to that effect. Stupidly, I engaged in name calling back. I called him the ***** for talking all this **** and not doing anything himself. Then he bristled with rage! Oh my goodness!

"WHAT!?", he bellowed as he ran up to me.

So I put my dukes up. He did too, and for whatever reason, my first attack was an outside leg kick. It felt kind weak to me. Not my best, needs work. But it at least changed the look on his face. He swung a wild right hand and I moved my head out of the way. I threw a jab and another leg kick. I'm not sure exactly what happened next... I think I might have shot for a takedown (really not my style of takedown). Or maybe I slipped on some ice, or he may have clipped me. Either way, I was face down in front of him for a second. I recovered quickly, though. Grabbed onto a single, climbed up the leg and pressed him into a wall.

Next, I did something that was a little more in my wheelhouse. I pummeled in and secured a bodylock with an S-grip (I think it may have been over-under). I turned him away from the wall, moved him forward and stuck my right leg behind his left leg for the outside trip. Of course, lucky me, I landed right in the mount. He knew what was coming next because he tried to wrap me up as best as he could and buried his face in my torso. I dug my forearm into his face and he started to let go of his bearhug.

Once he released I tried to hit him in the face as hard as I could. I got some bony-ass knuckles, so I ripped his skin open something fierce. I did that a few times, even tried a 'spike elbow' but I couldn't generate the proper power, so I just went back to punching. As he started to turn his back to me, I heard a voice yelling at us. A grey-haired Chinese man wanted us to stop fighting and was running up to us as I was putting in the RNC. He started saying "No no no!" and got in between us to separate us. As the drunk asshole was on top of me, I released my hooks, but bicycle kicked him away from me so he wouldn't try anything while we were being broken up.

My cardio is **** after all these years of not training (and smoking... ugh) so I really felt the burn on my lungs after this one. I walked back to the bus shelter, looking over my shoulder. The Chinese man just shook my hand and walked away. The drunken **** followed us back, but stopped about 10 feet from the shelter, staring at me, face full of blood. Not talking anymore, but staring at me. And possibly taking pictures of me with his phone.

My bus finally arrived and I ran on, eyes on the bloody freak. He didn't get on. I sat down and look at my hands, blood all over them. I started looking at my clothes and my scarf now had a giant splotch of blood on it. I removed it and stuffed it in a plastic bag from my backpack (which I had on during the whole scuffle, by the way.) When I got home, I immediately threw it out and had a shower.

Afterward, I felt a little shaken up by the encounter (possibly because of all the blood, or him taking picture of me afterward) It's improved a bit, but I still feel a little anxiety, or whatever. I felt like writing about it might help. Anyway, that was my intriguing tale of street self-defence! Note that I did not train in a deadly street fighting style, but the lowly sport style of pankration, so I am lucky to survive! Heyoooooo!

TL; DR

Impromptu Chinatown gong-sau ends in bloody massacre of a win for pankration stylist.
    Last edited by chaosexmachina; 1/10/2016 3:33am at .
    "Prison is for rapists, thieves and murderers. If you lock someone up for smoking a plant that makes them happy, you're the fucking criminal." - Joe Rogan

El Guapo says dance!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should have filed a police report, a lot of times the first one to file is the one that doesn't end up in jail.

Style
    MMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That guy sounds awesome, why'd you have to be dissin on him? Had you have trained aikido you could have ended it when he grabbed your arm!

..sucks you had to start off the New Year with big trouble in little China, man. I wouldn't worry too much about the drunken rhetoric. All's well that ends well.

Style
    MMA/Pankration
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys. I think I'm less worried about a police report and more him getting some buddies to shank me or some such. I did check the Calgary Police Service website for reports on that night, nothing that I could see matching our activity.
    "Prison is for rapists, thieves and murderers. If you lock someone up for smoking a plant that makes them happy, you're the fucking criminal." - Joe Rogan

El Guapo says dance!

Style
    Seidokaikan
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosexmachina View Post
    Thanks guys. I think I'm less worried about a police report and more him getting some buddies to shank me or some such. I did check the Calgary Police Service website for reports on that night, nothing that I could see matching our activity.
    It sounds like he'll be lucky to remember it happened from his state of inebriation.

You should search Canadian alcoholic dumbass forums for somebody who started a thread about waking up with a headache and blood all over his face trying to figure out why he had a bunch of pictures of some guy in a backpack getting on the bus.
    It seems to me that the Sanjuriu Martial Art is not in guestion, but, rather the character of Mr. Galt.
    -AkidoMom

Style
    Prying Mantis Kung-f, SBD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You handled that situation like complete ****. How about taking off your headphones and actually talking to the guy rather than beating him up?

Style
    kenpo, Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    You handled that situation like complete ****. How about taking off your headphones and actually talking to the guy rather than beating him up?
    Have to agree. Even if the incident could not be avoided he should not have compromised his hearing as a situation evolved.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should find him and murder his family.

Style
    MMA/Pankration
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to listen to my music, what's wrong with that? Why do I have to talk to some drunk dumbass? I asked him to leave me alone, that should be the end of that.

El Guapo says dance!

Style
    kenpo, Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosexmachina View Post
    I want to listen to my music, what's wrong with that? Why do I have to talk to some drunk dumbass? I asked him to leave me alone, that should be the end of that.
    You were in danger. Your music compromises your hearing. That is enough reason to stop listening. At the least you cut the tunes and pretend to listen to music. The conversation may have prevented attack long enough to get on bus or conveyed confidence to make him look elsewhere for trouble. When you are facing an attacker you can't think in terms of what "should be" it is meaningless. He should not have attacked you but he did.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last