Page 10 of 60 First ... 6789101112131420 ... Last
    Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by -TANK- View Post
    Outstanding post. Glad I stopped in sir. one question I have is...what do some of the serious teachers here have to say about those of us at more genteel disposition who have issues with joint replacement, reconstruction, limited ability to fully condition?
    The obvious answer is do what your body allows you do, however the less obvious answer is have you tried booking time with a physical therapist to help heal some of your joint issues?

Style
    Judo, Wrestling, TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by plasma View Post
    The obvious answer is do what your body allows you do, however the less obvious answer is have you tried booking time with a physical therapist to help heal some of your joint issues?
    When I saw ladies only defense mma based classes here ran by some reputable folks, figured maybe some classes for people with my problems would crop up...and so far not really, none yet --- I had reconstructed rt knee, 91 replaced it at end 2013...have tried to work with some more understanding.

It just occurred to me, reading these posts and other stuff that perhaps some wounded warriors would be looking for someone to pound on, perhaps ones with leg issues who understand how important it is to just roll, without trying to be ready for the street, that I could roll with, that would benefit both of us. I believe that would be good for me, and for him/them. Have you heard of such things? About at 50% condition...generous.

Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by -TANK- View Post
    When I saw ladies only defense mma based classes here ran by some reputable folks, figured maybe some classes for people with my problems would crop up...and so far not really, none yet --- I had reconstructed rt knee, 91 replaced it at end 2013...have tried to work with some more understanding.

It just occurred to me, reading these posts and other stuff that perhaps some wounded warriors would be looking for someone to pound on, perhaps ones with leg issues who understand how important it is to just roll, without trying to be ready for the street, that I could roll with, that would benefit both of us. I believe that would be good for me, and for him/them. Have you heard of such things? About at 50% condition...generous.
    I have several training partners over the years that are older (40s and 50s) that have numerous issues with knees, shoulder and 1 can't even straighten his arm. They train with the general class, they will do a different exercise if they can't do the one the class is doing and inform their training partners to make sure they don't go 100% and smash through their injury. I would find a school with a good atmosphere that will work with you on your injuries. BJJ school tend to have that type of atmosphere and theire are several good ones in Albuquerque.

Style
    Bujinkan, JKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hard pill to swallow - but true

Outstanding post. I admit to slacking off (greatly) in the keeping in shape department. I donīt know what happened to me over the years. I used to be fanatical about training and was in the best shape of my life about 10 years ago. I felt like a monster. Suddenly I got fat and now probably could not do 1 round of sparring without gasping for air (shameful I know) so you are absolutely right, its too easy to fantasize about the greatness our abilities and use that as an excuse to train less and less. Its a dangerous and degenerate mode of thinking. Yours was a welcome reminder so thank you for slapping me awake again. Was sorely needed!

Style
    Isshinryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excepting hard truths is easier on you than excepting fists to the face because you wont face facts. No pride here... I just want what works.

Style
    Kung fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Physical fitness and fighting fitness is not the same thing.

Most street fights do not go for 30mins unless the people fighting are not very good. In most cases the first decent hit to connect ends the fight. I am a personal trainer so i am an advocate for physical fitness but sparring does not prepare for a real defence situation any more than driving around a car park prepares for driving around busy public streets. The most important thing for physical conditioning is that your able to move. Being agile and mobile is far more important than endurance cardio vascular.

Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Colman View Post
    Most street fights do not go for 30mins unless the people fighting are not very good. In most cases the first decent hit to connect ends the fight. I am a personal trainer so i am an advocate for physical fitness but sparring does not prepare for a real defence situation any more than driving around a car park prepares for driving around busy public streets. The most important thing for physical conditioning is that your able to move. Being agile and mobile is far more important than endurance cardio vascular.
    Winning street fights doesn't make you good at Martial Arts or Fighting.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kung fu..... cool.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have to be a special kind of retarded.
    News flash, here buddy, sparring is very good exercise, it sure as **** works your Physical conditioning, your agility, your mobility and gasp your ability to fight.
    A better analogy might be trying to learn how to drive on the street by going to Track Days.
    Yes there are adjustments to be made but you sure as **** are going to know how to control the car.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    ĖGeorge Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    Punch and Grab
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd recommend going to Bankstown, Auburn or Birrong station around 3:30 on a weekday and watching some fights, seeing as you've never actually witnessed a street brawl.

Combatants engage, dis-engage, threaten each other and psych themselves up, then re-engage, so fights do go on a lot longer than one punch ko's, with new participants joining all the time.

Get out of your head the idea that fights are solely between two people with plenty of space to manoeuvre, and that no one will intervene at any point before the conclusion, cause that just doesn't happen

Page 10 of 60 First ... 6789101112131420 ... Last