Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Style
    MMA BJJ TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

UK Throwdown early Winter 2016

Morning all.

It's an idea I've been thinking about for a while now but I would be honoured to try and organise a throwdown event for UK bullies. I've competed and attended a shitload of competitions and tournaments but never actually organised one! So I'm after any advice, information or commitment from any bullies who might participate in this. I can tell you the following:

I would have to hire a small venue around Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire. It aint big but I can provide 2 5x5 metre matted areas. There would also be a smaller second room for training bags, equipment, warm ups etc.
    I have 50 mats. These are jigsaw mats and 20mm thick. I use them for MMA and rolling.
    I'm sure some light refreshments could be arranged for sale at the event if this is something that people would expect to find??
    Hiring a hall would probably cost me about 50 for a 3 hour period. I'm not doing this to make a profit but I don't have spare cash (wife just bought a house :) ) so would people be happy to pay a nominal entry fee to help me cover costs?
    Would be on a Saturday or Sunday.
    I would speak with my national association about getting proper competition insurance cost too so like an entry fee would people be happy to contribute to this to cover cost (I reckon it'll be around 50 for the day).

All thoughts welcome and I am open to liaise with other UK bullies if they want to get involved or have input.

Thanks

Style
    Cardio
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suppose it's going to be the overall attendance numbers that will dictate whether or not this is worth while. I would love to attend a UK throwdown and have no problem with contributing towards expenses.

Getting thrown onto puzzle mats is no joke tho. Is it a sprung floor beneath?
    Train hard, fight easy.

Style
    MMA BJJ TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I open myself up for being called a stupid twat here but I bought 20mm instead of 40mm simply to try to maintain a bit more 'realism'. We do do MMA on the mats and in 2 years haven't had any throw related incidents yet. But then again a throwdown bout can be mutually agreed (i.e. rolling or groundwork only, stand up only etc). Or someone could bring some judo mats with them..?

And just in case, yes. I am a stupid twat. I know this already.

Style
    MMA BJJ TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry forgot to add- yes, I believe it is a sprung wooden floor underneath. If not I know a professional dance hall that I can use which is definitely sprung wood.

Style
    Cardio
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it's sprung beneath then great. I still have the memories of my first Judo club: puzzle mats over wooden block floors. Landing on that sucked balls.

What would you need the minimum turnout to be to make it worth while?
    Train hard, fight easy.

Style
    MMA BJJ TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cake of Doom View Post
    If it's sprung beneath then great. I still have the memories of my first Judo club: puzzle mats over wooden block floors. Landing on that sucked balls.

What would you need the minimum turnout to be to make it worth while?
    Define 'worthwhile'?!!!

I mean I would likely go ahead with something regardless. I hire this particular hall anyway fro 2.5hrs every Saturday so actually the extra cost to me is really only another 30 minutes and we have it for a solid 3 hour slot at the worst way. Ideally yes, I would prefer all attendees to contribute to hall hire/ insurance but please understand this is simply because I have just taken on a f**kin high mortgage payment, have 2 children etc etc. It'd only be a few quid each.

So numbers of attendees: well I'm pretty sure a lot of guys from my own club would come (anywhere from 10-20 people) to get involved so I'm not really worried. TBH I'll just STFU about money cos I'm sure it isn't an issue.

Worthwhile.

The whole reason I want to do this is because for the 23 years that I have been involved in the martial arts I have always tried to keep it as real as possible and be as legitimate as possible. I don't like all the stereotypes that keep BS.net going: the fraudsters, the ones who can't provide their lineage/ docs, the ones who over charge and under deliver etc. For me, worthwhile is simply organising a gathering of like minded people where there are no trophies up for grabs- just a simple, honest throwdown where the only thing that really speaks volumes is what happens/ is recorded on the mats. What is purer and more worthwhile for a martial artist than that?

It would just be good to have a decent turnout from bullies of course to make this a decent event, warrant the effort to organise it and give the website some decent footage to look at/ discuss/ laugh at etc!!

Style
    Cardio
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was thinking of attendance numbers for worthwhile. I'm sure there is a couple of threads knocking around where the throwdown fell flat where no-one bothered. Doesn't sound like you're going to have that problem, so all good.

I'm definitely up for it.
    Train hard, fight easy.

Style
    MMA BJJ TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wonder if it is at all possible for BS.net to email/ message all UK bullies to promote this type of event...

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gold_ax666 View Post
    I open myself up for being called a stupid twat here but I bought 20mm instead of 40mm simply to try to maintain a bit more 'realism'. We do do MMA on the mats and in 2 years haven't had any throw related incidents yet. But then again a throwdown bout can be mutually agreed (i.e. rolling or groundwork only, stand up only etc). Or someone could bring some judo mats with them..?

And just in case, yes. I am a stupid twat. I know this already.
    Yeah, one of you UK judoka just haul along some tatami, no problem. Pull the trailer behind your Ford F350 Diesel truck...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Yeah, one of you UK judoka just haul along some tatami, no problem. Pull the trailer behind your Ford F350 Diesel truck...
    Lol I get it! Because they all drive mini coopers ,think a pound is money and talk funny. :-p

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last