Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last
    Style
    MCMAP, Judo, sex appeal
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What's your favorite judo throw combination?

My dudes,

What's your favorite throw progression in judo?

I'm pretty bad at stringing techniques together, so I'm looking for ideas?

I'm a green belt, and I've had some success with o soto -> sasae tsurikomi ashi (-> o soto again) and a cross grip o soto, but I need to broaden my horizons!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not going to win any originality awards with these, but this is what i usually try:

sasae tsurikomi ashi -> harai goshi
    kouchi gari -> tai otoshi
    ippon seoi nage -> kouchi gari
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    +1 for kouchi gari, ko soto gari/gake and other reaps/hooks combined with almost anything, always seem really effective especially if you have long legs and a strong, fast drive.

Imho, they don't seem to require much energy or leverage to pull off to great effect, and they work with different grips. Just add decent timing and footwork. When the opponents expecting you to attempt a back throw and suddenly they're flying because you got that little reap, it's a beautiful thing.

Style
    BJJ blue, judo ikkyu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seoinage <--> kouchi
    Any other ashiwaza --> osotogari

In my own judo development, I found that looking for combinations to make work was a fool's errand. I had much more success looking for entrances to my favorite/most effective techniques, and using other throws to create those entrances/situations. For instance my osoto is my best weapon, but I find it hard to get chest contact. I have chest contact after a failed koshiwaza or kouchigari, so to osotogari it is. This may not be the best judo, but it was what I made do with.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1 View Post
    My dudes,

What's your favorite throw progression in judo?

I'm pretty bad at stringing techniques together, so I'm looking for ideas?

I'm a green belt, and I've had some success with o soto -> sasae tsurikomi ashi (-> o soto again) and a cross grip o soto, but I need to broaden my horizons!

If you look at what 1Point2 wrote, I think that is good advice. Over the years, I preached and (tried) to teach a lot of combinations. The judo "literature" is full of them, how important they are, like some sort of secret weapon for success in Judo.

I finally think I figured out that the most important weapon is the concept/principle of action/reaction, however you can apply it. But to apply it you need to have solid balance, posture, gripping, and movement. So without those, and even with them, action reaction doesn't get you very far because you (and I mean in general) cannot take advantage of your opponents reaction to your initial attack/movement/grip/posture.

My advice is to take a hard look at the throws you think you do well already, and see how you can put them together depending on how an opponent commonly reacts to your attempt. Ask yourself if, as 1point2 pointed out, you end up in a position to try effectively try something else.

Now, for grading purposes, you can just practice the typical canned combinations, although those do have application in randori/shiai. Ouchi Gari-Tai Otoshi, Kouchi Gari-Ouchi Gari, Hiza Guruma-De Ashi Barai (I can actually sometimes make that one work in randori).

If you like Osoto Gari, then Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi and Ouchi Gari work well together as a triple threat.

Post some video of you practicing Judo, that would help.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kendo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure mine is a combo so much as just a change in direction - soto makikomi,and then if there is resistance change direction into osoto makikomi.

If I'm asked to demo I like sasae-tsurikomi-ashi into tai otoshi. Attack the sasae, and when the resistance comes pull back the propping foot. But instead of pulling back to kamae, pull back further so that when he stops the resistance in anticipation of a backwards follow up, you are already turning into the tai otoshi. It's a bit complicated for reality - better to attack the sasae and see what happens next. But it looks pretty when you do it right.
    Last edited by NeilG; 9/02/2015 12:34pm at .

Style
    MCMAP, Judo, sex appeal
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that's my issue. I'm relatively new to judo, and I'm not committing like I should be. I'll definitely be working on my entries, and trying to see trends in people's reactions.

I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    I agree with moosey

Style
    BJJ blue, judo ikkyu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1 View Post
    I'm relatively new to judo, and I'm not committing like I should be.
    When I came to my coach with this same question, I had this same commitment issue. He said, stop thinking about combinations entirely. Just do the throw you're doing, a million percent hard, and drive through to the mat. His point was that combinations are a copout for students, often with previous experience, who have trouble committing to a throw.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Style
    MCMAP, Judo, sex appeal
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That sounds exactly like me.

I agree with moosey

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Not sure mine is a combo so much as just a change in direction - soto makikomi,and then if there is resistance change direction into osoto makikomi.

If I'm asked to demo I like sasae-tsurikomi-ashi into tai otoshi. Attack the sasae, and when the resistance comes pull back the propping foot. But instead of pulling back to kamae, pull back further so that when he stops the resistance in anticipation of a backwards follow up, you are already turning into the tai otoshi. It's a bit complicated for reality - better to attack the sasae and see what happens next. But it looks pretty when you do it right.
    Yeah, that's a combination.

And the last thing you describe is how it works at a higher level of judo ability. Make a move, then another, then another, depending on the totality of circumstances. If you have developed a system of movement/attack as to where that happens a "natural flow", so much the better.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last