Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member

FSU Football Player Defends Himself, Gets Crucified

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubpZI2pDuj8

So, this happened. Let's talk about it.

Most of the news outlets are airing a short version of the video that only shows him throwing the punch.

Here's what really happened.....

It's a crowded bar. The man and the woman are pushing their way to the bar simultaneously. The woman takes exception to the man doing the exact same thing she was doing. She let's him hear about it. They have some words. She raises her hand in a threatening manner. He grabs her hand to prevent her from striking him. She punches him in the face. He punches her back.

He is totally innocent and defended himself appropriately. Tell me why I'm wrong.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Was that the full video you posted ?

If so, he's a dumbass, no need to defend himself by smacking her. Should have backed off as soon as the woman bowed up at him and cocked a fist at him.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Was that the full video you posted ?

If so, he's a dumbass, no need to defend himself by smacking her. Should have backed off as soon as the woman bowed up at him and cocked a fist at him.
    I found a longer video but it doesn't really show anything else. Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMtVYcmYB38

Why should he have backed off? Why shouldn't she have backed off? He wasn't behaving any differently than she was. In fact, they were both pushing to the bar and she initiated the conflict verbally. Then she purposely slid to her left to keep him away from the bar.

He had a right to be there. Bars can get crowded. People can bump into each other. She initiated the altercation and escalated at ever step. He was within his rights to defend himself the way he did.

I'm not saying he isn't stupid. Everybody knows the reality is that the woman will be white knighted over in this situation. What I am saying is that that's bullshit and men should be able to defend themselves in these situations. She is at fault.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I found a longer video but it doesn't really show anything else. Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMtVYcmYB38

Why should he have backed off? Why shouldn't she have backed off? He wasn't behaving any differently than she was. In fact, they were both pushing to the bar and she initiated the conflict verbally. Then she purposely slid to her left to keep him away from the bar.

He had a right to be there. Bars can get crowded. People can bump into each other. She initiated the altercation and escalated at ever step. He was within his rights to defend himself the way he did.

I'm not saying he isn't stupid. Everybody knows the reality is that the woman will be white knighted over in this situation. What I am saying is that that's bullshit and men should be able to defend themselves in these situations. She is at fault.
    She was pretty obviously drunk. She got to the bar first, was there, looks like he bumped into her trying to get in between her and the dark headed chick to the left. That's SOP in crowded bars in my experience and I'm sure in yours as well.

They had words...she looked pissed, and drunk, may have thought he copped a feel (which does happen). She cocked a fist, he grabbed it. At that point, he exercised bad judgement by grabbing her, and she did the same by taking a swipe at him.

Both are at fault, although I think he should have backed off, and smacking her was excessive.

I'd say canning him from the team is excessive. Suspension from team or games might be more appropriate, unless he has a history of stuff like that maybe.

It's on video, they can both file a police report...

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

She was pretty obviously drunk. She got to the bar first, was there, looks like he bumped into her trying to get in between her and the dark headed chick to the left. That's SOP in crowded bars in my experience and I'm sure in yours as well.

They had words...she looked pissed, and drunk, may have thought he copped a feel (which does happen). She cocked a fist, he grabbed it. At that point, he exercised bad judgement by grabbing her, and she did the same by taking a swipe at him.

Both are at fault, although I think he should have backed off, and smacking her was excessive.

I'd say canning him from the team is excessive. Suspension from team or games might be more appropriate, unless he has a history of stuff like that maybe.

It's on video, they can both file a police report...
    A couple additional points. She did appear to purposely shove to her left to keep him away from the bar.

Also, I don't know for sure but I suspect she was verbally threatening him when she raised her fist. If so, I think it's reasonable for him to grab her hand to protect himself. Actually, I think it's reasonable to grab someone's fist anyway if they raise it to you.

Again - why should he have backed off? Why shouldn't she have backed off?

What do you think about the charges? He has been charged with misdemeanor battery.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    A couple additional points. She did appear to purposely shove to her left to keep him away from the bar.

Also, I don't know for sure but I suspect she was verbally threatening him when she raised her fist. If so, I think it's reasonable for him to grab her hand to protect himself. Actually, I think it's reasonable to grab someone's fist anyway if they raise it to you.

Again - why should he have backed off? Why shouldn't she have backed off?

What do you think about the charges? He has been charged with misdemeanor battery.
    I think he should have backed off to avoid the situation, it's not really a matter of his right to be there, or whether or not she shoved into him first for whatever reason.

I agree, she is probably verbally threatening him, telling to back off, "why did you touch my ass ?" or something similar.

He should have backed off because he didn't want to deal with the consequences of getting into a bar fight.

I'd speculate he grabbed her fist and was telling her to calm down, or something like that, who knows, she told him to not touch her, then she "defended herself" by taking a swing at him.

We'll see if the DA goes forward with it or not, amends it to disturbing the peace, "mutual combat", dismisses, or whatever it is in Florida. The guy will hopefully get a decent lawyer.

It's a sad situation. If the guy wasn't "famous", nobody would now or care about it except the parties involved.

Her judgement was just as bad as his, no doubt about it.

Personally I think she deserved a falcon punch. The truth is if it had been a man there would be no discussion and probably no charges. But due to the bad rap that football players have now for beating the **** out of women he is basically fucked.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    **** I think she may have out weighed him
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

I think he should have backed off to avoid the situation, it's not really a matter of his right to be there, or whether or not she shoved into him first for whatever reason.

I agree, she is probably verbally threatening him, telling to back off, "why did you touch my ass ?" or something similar.

He should have backed off because he didn't want to deal with the consequences of getting into a bar fight.

I'd speculate he grabbed her fist and was telling her to calm down, or something like that, who knows, she told him to not touch her, then she "defended herself" by taking a swing at him.

We'll see if the DA goes forward with it or not, amends it to disturbing the peace, "mutual combat", dismisses, or whatever it is in Florida. The guy will hopefully get a decent lawyer.

It's a sad situation. If the guy wasn't "famous", nobody would now or care about it except the parties involved.

Her judgement was just as bad as his, no doubt about it.
    I don't really disagree with any of that. Again, I think he was stupid because he should understand the reality of the backlash that was sure to come and he's only hurting himself. On the other hand, I think that backlash is complete bullshit. It is based on emotion and not the law. He's fucked regardless of the legal outcome.

Side note - if my kid were a college athlete in this kid's position I would kick his ass if I ever found out he stepped foot in a bar. Too many problems to be found in bars. Too many opportunities to squander years of hard work on some bullshit.

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    On the other hand, I think that backlash is complete bullshit. It is based on emotion and not the law.
    He at the very least escalated a conflict with someone obviously physically inferior to himself, then initiated the most obvious violence. That's going to be difficult to explain irrespective of the resumes of the actors.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last