Page 1 of 10 12345 ... Last
  1. #1
    3moose1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oceanside
    Posts
    9,626
    Style
    MCMAP, Judo, sex appeal
    2

    Moose wants to be a cop!

    Ladies and gentleman,


    My time with the Marine Corps is coming to a close. 6 glorious years, ending with a medical retirement. After I worked through my five steps, I decided to think about what I want to do.

    I've always wanted to be a cop, and a doctor. So, I figured why not both? I need a job while I go through my pre reqs, and I'd get bored with anything else. Luckily, my local sheriff's department is hiring like hot cakes, and they encouraged me to apply!

    So, tell me about being a LEO. The good, the bad, the ugly.

    PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58


    Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

  2. #2
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,196
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1 View Post
    Ladies and gentleman,


    My time with the Marine Corps is coming to a close. 6 glorious years, ending with a medical retirement. After I worked through my five steps, I decided to think about what I want to do.

    I've always wanted to be a cop, and a doctor. So, I figured why not both? I need a job while I go through my pre reqs, and I'd get bored with anything else. Luckily, my local sheriff's department is hiring like hot cakes, and they encouraged me to apply!

    So, tell me about being a LEO. The good, the bad, the ugly.
    So let me get this straight.

    You plan to get a 4 year college (pre-med) degree (I'm assuming you don't have one already).

    You want to go through (I assume) California P.O.S.T training to get your basic patrol certification (several weeks), go through FTO, and work as a Deputy Sheriff ?

    And you want to go through both at the same time ?

    So, criminal justice 4 year degree, then med school ???? What do you plan to major in while getting your degree ?

    Then I assume you will quit as a deputy sheriff to slog your way through 4 years of medical school. Because unless you are a bonafied genius with a near-eidict memory, you won't be working much in med school.

    If you are not independently wealthy, I suggest you think deeply about how much in debt you want to be. Unless you are thinking GI bill or something similar.

    Too bad you are getting medically discharged. The Marine Corps might have paid your way...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    115
    Style
    Muay Thai
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    So let me get this straight.

    You plan to get a 4 year college (pre-med) degree (I'm assuming you don't have one already).

    You want to go through (I assume) California P.O.S.T training to get your basic patrol certification (several weeks), go through FTO, and work as a Deputy Sheriff ?

    And you want to go through both at the same time ?

    So, criminal justice 4 year degree, then med school ???? What do you plan to major in while getting your degree ?

    Then I assume you will quit as a deputy sheriff to slog your way through 4 years of medical school. Because unless you are a bonafied genius with a near-eidict memory, you won't be working much in med school.

    If you are not independently wealthy, I suggest you think deeply about how much in debt you want to be. Unless you are thinking GI bill or something similar.

    Too bad you are getting medically discharged. The Marine Corps might have paid your way...
    I had gotten from his post that he plans on applying at a Sheriff's agency that would be sponsoring his getting a California POST. But either way, going through all that just to fund more (and increasingly expensive) schooling does seem to be a tad impractical.

    Additionally, even for departments that are hiring like crazy, a candidate that doesn't seem like they're planning on being with them for the long haul isn't going to seem terribly attractive.

  4. #4
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,196
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanner Hunt View Post
    I had gotten from his post that he plans on applying at a Sheriff's agency that would be sponsoring his getting a California POST. But either way, going through all that just to fund more (and increasingly expensive) schooling does seem to be a tad impractical.

    Additionally, even for departments that are hiring like crazy, a candidate that doesn't seem like they're planning on being with them for the long haul isn't going to seem terribly attractive.
    I wasn't looking at it from the point of view of him self sponsoring through P.O.S.T. That expense is negligible compared to 4 years of college, 4 years of med school, then whatever residency (although those are paid) for whatever he would decide to specialize in.

    If the Marine Corps is paying the way (GI Bill? I have no idea), then best use of funds would be to just go to college, IMO,or trade school (be a cop or whatever).
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  5. #5
    3moose1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oceanside
    Posts
    9,626
    Style
    MCMAP, Judo, sex appeal
    I have a bachelor's, I just need around a year or so of pre reqs. I'd take a break from school for the academy and training.

    I'm saving my GI bill for med school.

    PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58


    Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

  6. #6
    3moose1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oceanside
    Posts
    9,626
    Style
    MCMAP, Judo, sex appeal
    Just clarifying. Now please talk about being a cop, and not my plans to become one

    PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58


    Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

  7. #7
    3moose1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oceanside
    Posts
    9,626
    Style
    MCMAP, Judo, sex appeal
    Plus who knows? I might love being a cop and forget about med school lol

    PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58


    Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

  8. #8
    tgace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,507
    Style
    Arnis/Kenpo hybrid
    What do you want to know?

    Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,196
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1 View Post
    I have a bachelor's, I just need around a year or so of pre reqs. I'd take a break from school for the academy and training.

    I'm saving my GI bill for med school.
    OK, that makes more sense. What is your degree in ? If it's not a science degree, you will be taking some tough courses for pre-med work. Even then, organic chemistry is not a fun course...

    yeah, saving GI Bill for med school is a great option !
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  10. #10
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,196
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1 View Post
    Plus who knows? I might love being a cop and forget about med school lol
    That is true.

    I guess where I'm coming from is that the LEO training is a big commitment of time and personal energy to invest if you are kind of just "trying it out".

    I know, you went through Marine Corps basic and all that, so the physical aspects won't be that big a deal to you.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in