Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. #1
    gregaquaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlie Beach
    Posts
    3,009
    Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    motor bikes. klr650 vs dr650

    I want a bike for adventures and to escape the zombie apocalypse.

    Both bikes do pretty much the samish job. And I am struggling to decide sort of.

    I am leaning more towards the klr.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

  2. #2
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,824
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being such a short legged fucker, I'd probably not get either. I can't see much difference between the two, although the KLR looks a bit heavier. That may be the fairing set up though.

    Do you plan to do more off road or on ? In that case, maybe the one that is better set up for the majority of your driving.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  3. #3
    gregaquaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlie Beach
    Posts
    3,009
    Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Being such a short legged fucker, I'd probably not get either. I can't see much difference between the two, although the KLR looks a bit heavier. That may be the fairing set up though.

    Do you plan to do more off road or on ? In that case, maybe the one that is better set up for the majority of your driving.

    Yeah. Probably more on road than off. But I would like it to handle both.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

  4. #4
    slamdunc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,538
    Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a 2009 KLR 650 and loved it but ended up trading it in on a DRZ 400 SM. The only advantage I saw over the DR 650 was that the KLR is liquid cooled and therefore more durable.
    I thought I spelled it wrong, but as I said I'm a mechanic not an English professor.

  5. #5
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,824
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I give up on being grown-up about this... just get the one that is the fastest !
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  6. #6
    ChenPengFi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    7,439
    Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    I had a 2009 KLR 650 and loved it but ended up trading it in on a DRZ 400 SM. The only advantage I saw over the DR 650 was that the KLR is liquid cooled and therefore more durable.

    Or conversley more complicated, more things to break/replace and more difficult to work on.

  7. #7
    gregaquaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlie Beach
    Posts
    3,009
    Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Or conversley more complicated, more things to break/replace and more difficult to work on.

    Yeah. I jumped on a bike forum that discussed them head to head. And that was a major division.

    Also off road hitting rocks and stuff. Of course you can get a guard for them.

    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134239

    Got pretty funny by the end of it.
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 7/01/2015 6:53pm at .
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

  8. #8
    ChenPengFi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    7,439
    Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha, I was going to suggest looking there.
    Stock wind protection is better on the KLR, so that's something to consider for you.

  9. #9
    gregaquaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlie Beach
    Posts
    3,009
    Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Haha, I was going to suggest looking there.
    Stock wind protection is better on the KLR, so that's something to consider for you.

    Yeah I read that and came away with both were better and you suck. No you do.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

  10. #10
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,824
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Yeah I read that and came away with both were better and you suck. No you do.
    Well, you should be used to that on bullshido.net, so no big deal !
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in