Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also while kanji are "Chinese characters", there are different applications, pronunciations and meanings between the two languages using them.

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    While he moves a little on the sloppy side and isn't super smooth he is an older gentleman.
    His sleeve grip is a little suspect though.
    Its a lot more like a grip you would get in Judo standing up than you get in modern BJJ ground work. Even that isn't enough to judge his skill or lineage on.
    You're right, there's no one particular thing that stands out but there's a bunch of smaller things that tip me off:
    - The delicate unfamiliar way he reaches for his opponent's collar with his wrist bent back
    - His collar grip is at different heights for each demo, and during the second one he has to readjust to compensate for gripping too high
    - In seated guard his weight is too far back and his feet are not flat on the ground. Granted this is before he properly commences the move but a seasoned jiujiteiro would sit properly on instinct.
    - A lack of any real postural control over his opponent or even an awareness that it's an important issue
    - Most significantly, limited hip movement and the lack of elevation you'd need to pull this off live. Smaller guys (of Chau's size) learn pretty quickly to move their hips effectively to avoid getting crushed by larger opponents, and by black belt you'd expect this to be at a very high level.

Old age doesn't really explain these issues away.

Style
    Short Fist Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chau is full of ****.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Style
    Underground Pit Fighting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok let me put it another way .

He said the below on the front page of his website and it reads to me as though he is implying that Jiu Jitsu is a chinese martial art.
    I thought it was Japanese.

"Firstly, I would break down each segment of the meaning of Jiu jitsu or Jujitsu. In Chinese, Jiu or Ju(柔) means softness, gentleness; Jitsu(術); art or way. In physical discipline, Jiu-jitsu is a combative fighting skill and an effective way of self-defence. Jiu-jitsu means to apply an economical way to defeat opponent in fight or war with the martial arts’ disciplines. I think the meaning of the soft or gentle way of fighting art is totally misused in defining Jiu-jitsu. However, Jiu-jitsu means much more than just that. In fact it refers to pertain a martial art that goes further and beyond just the fighting method to defeat the opponent, it stresses the ocean of wide range of Chinese philosophy that has gone on in that country over the past three thousand years with moral and spiritual connotations in order to achieve enlightenment and personal development. In the philosophy of Taoism and Buddhism, true martial artist is to accept the spirit of the universe, to keep the peace of the world, to protect and cultivate all beings in nature. As Lao-Tze said it well, “Peace and quiet is the true path in the world.”
    ​Since Jiu-jitsu was created by warriors in ancient time and its skills were tested in life and death battles, It was a complete fighting system pertaining strikes, kicks throws/takedowns, ground works, Submission techniques such as joint locks, chokes and others. At our school, we strongly emphasis jiu-jitsu on self-defense, but also training jiu-jitsu's orientation towards competition. The goal of the grappler is to close the distance safely and fast, then follow with a throw, takedown and submission. Sometimes, an effective throw could instantly end a fight. For those strikers who only practice striking will find themselves unable to execute an effective striking technique, and feel completely helpless because the situation is out of their element. Therefore, you may wonder if you should give up striking techniques and concentrate yourselves to grappling. My reply is a Big No! Grappling is no doubt possessing an efficient technique, but also has its limitations and strikers could apply numerous striking techniques by hands, elbows, kicks, knees to end a fight."
    King without a crown

Style
    Short Fist Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That would be a good example of being full of ****.

I thought it was Japanese
    That's because it is.

Don't even get me started on Paul Chau..
    I don't think he claims to be a Brazilian Jiu- Jitsu BB, but a regular, Japanese Jujutsu BB, along with claiming BB rank in several other disciplines.
    In any event..he is full of ****.
    Last edited by OZZ; 7/02/2015 11:00am at .
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Style
    Siling Labuyo Arnis
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ View Post
    In any event..he is full of ****.
    Yep. Saw him at a competition, doing this made-up kung fu form where he was wielding a sabre and treating it like a straight sword. Everybody was cheering like crazy, and all I could think was "you people have a very low thrill threshold."

Style
    Short Fist Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of many stories related to Northern Black Dragon students I've encountered over the years.
    The most recent was this clown I ran into at the gym about a year ago. He was doing some bag work, very poorly, I might add, all arm-punches..anyways, we start talking about training and whatnot he tells me he's from Chau's school and I tell him where I've trained. He tells me he's seen the club website and blah blah..
    He tells me how amazing his instructor is and how Chau " has like eight black belts " . So after I get warmed up a bit I ask him if he wants to do some pad work (not sparring, just pad work) and he declines because he " has a fight coming up and wants to save his energy ".
    Before he leaves he decides to show me one of his forms from Chau, and I have to keep myself from laughing when all he does is move his arms about five times in a weird crane-like manner.
    No foot movement whatsoever, he didn't even move any part of his body other than his arms. I'm not huge on forms, but even the beginner sets I learned involved a fair bit of movement at a rapid pace.
    In the end I just felt sorry for the guy because he seemed like a bit of a dim bulb, obviously has no clue he is wasting time and money on Chau's bullshit at Northern Black Dragon.
    Paul Chau won't even look my instructor in the eye when they run into each other in public. Mike has more respect among the Chinese community here in town and he's white...the Chinese know Chau is just selling bullshit to people and the only reason he gets students is because of his ethnicity.
    Last edited by OZZ; 7/03/2015 2:05am at .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That choke.. Wont work in live sparing, or the way he did it at least. So is he a BJJ black belt or just some Chinese guy using BJJ belt system for his 'mystical jiu jitsu' Chinese way?

Style
    KENPO KARATE
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by awil View Post
    You're right, there's no one particular thing that stands out but there's a bunch of smaller things that tip me off:
    - The delicate unfamiliar way he reaches for his opponent's collar with his wrist bent back
    - His collar grip is at different heights for each demo, and during the second one he has to readjust to compensate for gripping too high
    - In seated guard his weight is too far back and his feet are not flat on the ground. Granted this is before he properly commences the move but a seasoned jiujiteiro would sit properly on instinct.
    - A lack of any real postural control over his opponent or even an awareness that it's an important issue
    - Most significantly, limited hip movement and the lack of elevation you'd need to pull this off live. Smaller guys (of Chau's size) learn pretty quickly to move their hips effectively to avoid getting crushed by larger opponents, and by black belt you'd expect this to be at a very high level.

Old age doesn't really explain these issues away.
    I think I know your old man, Mike Ducet. Right?

Page 2 of 2 First 12