1. #2091

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    622
    Style
    Muay Thai
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Many, many years ago this was a thing in Judo comps, but got stopped by rules.
    Does that include sasae-tsurikomi-ashi?

  2. #2092

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    7,011
    Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Yeah. You rip it in half and just sort of slap the guy.

    Why?
    One would be more effective hurling a full can as a weapon,

    or placing the can as the weight in a bag in a make shift flail.

    I knew a guy in college who had a habit of knocking people flat by hurling beer cans at them.

    Not for malice, or combat, in fact he would do so at social events out of sheer drunkenness.

    A good defensive tactic was to stay in close proximity to him, as he tended to lob the cans at a distance.

  3. #2093
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    26,824
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandem View Post
    Does that include sasae-tsurikomi-ashi?
    No, it does not.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  4. #2094

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Honduras
    Posts
    612
    Style
    KARATE-BJJ-MMA
    1
    Whenever there is a karate demo showing self-defense half of what is generally shown is either unrealistic kick-ety stuff or badly done part-grappling stuff taken from other martial arts.

    https://www.facebook.com/jorge.rapal...094735/?type=3

    That was something I did precisely to make that point.

  5. #2095

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Honduras
    Posts
    612
    Style
    KARATE-BJJ-MMA
    1
    There was a time where I was locally the go-to guy in karate to do self-defense demos, not because I was any good, but because I have experience in theater (acted in 17 plays and directed one) so I could choreograph things to make them look better than they actually were. Teachers I knew would invite me to their events and tell me to use some of their students to prepare/do demos, and half the time I had to teach them how to do almost everything from scratch, because they did not know ukemi worth a damn, or how to get out of standing chokes, or even how to apply a standing choke. Brown belts and would-be-black belts, even.

    I rationalized doing this with the idea that I was at least exposing the students and attendees to areas of martial arts that were not that familiar to them, so they would know at least that those DO exist, and thus encourage them to request/find such training. Then I stopped BSing myself. I was just being another vehicle of fraudulent propaganda, another example of spreading BS in martial arts, the BS that standard McDojo classes would teach them effective self-defense, or hell, any self-defense at all.

  6. #2096

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Honduras
    Posts
    612
    Style
    KARATE-BJJ-MMA
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Unpopular opinion: one of the most overlooked skillsets in most standup martial arts is the skill of stepping on the opponent's foot and what can be done afterwards. Not as a self defense instep stomp but as a foot pin.
    The kung fu teacher who regularly whooped my ass did this often enough.

  7. #2097
    Sovvolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England.
    Posts
    727
    Style
    MMA, BJJ, Kickboxing
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ksennin View Post
    There was a time where I was locally the go-to guy in karate to do self-defense demos, not because I was any good, but because I have experience in theater (acted in 17 plays and directed one) so I could choreograph things to make them look better than they actually were. Teachers I knew would invite me to their events and tell me to use some of their students to prepare/do demos, and half the time I had to teach them how to do almost everything from scratch, because they did not know ukemi worth a damn, or how to get out of standing chokes, or even how to apply a standing choke. Brown belts and would-be-black belts, even.

    I rationalized doing this with the idea that I was at least exposing the students and attendees to areas of martial arts that were not that familiar to them, so they would know at least that those DO exist, and thus encourage them to request/find such training. Then I stopped BSing myself. I was just being another vehicle of fraudulent propaganda, another example of spreading BS in martial arts, the BS that standard McDojo classes would teach them effective self-defense, or hell, any self-defense at all.
    I was greatly amused by an old Karate Self Defence video that popped on Facebook not long back. Aside from the usual b.s of: Attacker throws strike, defender blocks, attacker politely stays still while the defender counter attacks (Because as we all know, real life fights are akin to final fantasy game).

    The thing that amused me the most was that this karate street defence video included nothing but counters to specifically karate attacks... Like is the assumption that the average fellow on the street is going to know what a front leg mawashi geri is and will throw one by default. What plannet do these people live on?
    "BJJ!!! Guard can't protect you from collapsing gym roof, tough guy!" - W. Rabbit

  8. #2098

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Honduras
    Posts
    612
    Style
    KARATE-BJJ-MMA
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovvolf View Post
    I was greatly amused by an old Karate Self Defence video that popped on Facebook not long back. Aside from the usual b.s of: Attacker throws strike, defender blocks, attacker politely stays still while the defender counter attacks (Because as we all know, real life fights are akin to final fantasy game).

    The thing that amused me the most was that this karate street defence video included nothing but counters to specifically karate attacks... Like is the assumption that the average fellow on the street is going to know what a front leg mawashi geri is and will throw one by default. What plannet do these people live on?
    Even worse, not long ago I saw clips from a kumite intructional video by Kanazawa, one of the most famous teachers/competitors of his time, who won the first JKA kumite championship, fighting in the finals with a broken hand, even, a dynamic fighter who also holds dan in judo, and... the clips of supposedly kumite techniques were the same counters as always to attacks done in single-lunge-step fashion with overextended oi-tsuki left hanging in the air, waiting for the counter. Sure, some measure of what works in combat is simply the same basic techniques done well, but using from tori the same fake overdone attacks as all the damn karate demos I have seen for decades was rather disappointing. And if you go to the modern, young point karate champions, it is all this athletic jumpy, tag-game thing. And it is hard to reconcile self-defense or real fighting with any of that.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in