1. #1291

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    6,946
    Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    This one caught my eye, for sure. Engage full troll-mode... NOW.

    Colt has admitted that it can no longer stay profitable in the civvy AR-15 space, because the bottom has fallen out of that market, and has basically undercut everything they do which isn't backed by a government contract.
    https://apnews.com/fbdf5e5f6d654332bbedfaffe3663154

    Oh, wait, that's not a troll. They actually said that.
    One can get nice, basic, AR-15's from major manufacturers for less than $600.

    The number of suppliers is high, the competition is intense.

  2. #1292
    Joe "I should not comment on Anthony Weiner" Biden staff
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    11,111
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
    One can get nice, basic, AR-15's from major manufacturers for less than $600.

    The number of suppliers is high, the competition is intense.
    Thanks, Beto!

  3. #1293
    ghost55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    7,303
    Style
    CQC
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    This one caught my eye, for sure. Engage full troll-mode... NOW.

    Colt has admitted that it can no longer stay profitable in the civvy AR-15 space, because the bottom has fallen out of that market, and has basically undercut everything they do which isn't backed by a government contract.
    https://apnews.com/fbdf5e5f6d654332bbedfaffe3663154

    Oh, wait, that's not a troll. They actually said that.
    They're uncompetitive because they've fallen behind in terms of both features and fit and finish. My LE6945 has a fairly sloppy fit between the upper and lower, and the finish is pretty basic. The mid tier aero stuff looks and feels better.for the price I paid for it I would have been better off saving $300 and getting a rifle from PWS.

  4. #1294
    Diesel_tke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    6,417
    Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    This one caught my eye, for sure. Engage full troll-mode... NOW.

    Colt has admitted that it can no longer stay profitable in the civvy AR-15 space, because the bottom has fallen out of that market, and has basically undercut everything they do which isn't backed by a government contract.
    https://apnews.com/fbdf5e5f6d654332bbedfaffe3663154

    Oh, wait, that's not a troll. They actually said that.
    It's pretty simple. Colt sells ARs for more money simply because it has a Colt logo on it. The don't forge their own lowers, they simply mill them out. And CMMG mills them out for them half the time when they can't keep up with their military contracts. So why would I pay twice the price for a Colt lower when I can get a lower that was forged from the same place, milled by the same people for cheaper?

    Colt never backed down off their price point. Hence the reason they filed for bankruptcy 3 years ago. And they haven't changed anything since then.

    You go get 100 Colt lowers and you will most likely find a dozen different forge marks on them. Which is even worse because they didn't take the time to grind off the forge mark before putting their name on it.
    Combatives training log.

    Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

    Drum thread

    Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

  5. #1295
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    26,745
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    It's pretty simple. Colt sells ARs for more money simply because it has a Colt logo on it. The don't forge their own lowers, they simply mill them out. And CMMG mills them out for them half the time when they can't keep up with their military contracts. So why would I pay twice the price for a Colt lower when I can get a lower that was forged from the same place, milled by the same people for cheaper?

    Colt never backed down off their price point. Hence the reason they filed for bankruptcy 3 years ago. And they haven't changed anything since then.

    You go get 100 Colt lowers and you will most likely find a dozen different forge marks on them. Which is even worse because they didn't take the time to grind off the forge mark before putting their name on it.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  6. #1296
    jnp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,586
    Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    3
    FYI, Palmetto State Armory makes solid mid grade uppers and lowers. I buy the blemished ones dirt cheap. I have bought 3 blemished lowers from them and could not find the blemish on 2 of them.

    I have assembled/put together two rifles, one of which I sold. They aren’t Larue’s, but both performed solidly at the range.

  7. #1297
    Cassius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,398
    Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    3
    One thing I have learned from Colt's withdrawal from the civilian market is how many middle aged and older shooters equate Colt with ultimate utilitarian quality and reliability. And how angry they get at whippersnappers for disparaging their Pony.

    Having actually carried one for work, I would personally put it about middle of the pack. My experience with my Colt M4A1 beats out the LWRC and H&K416 by virtue of not being an incredibly front heavy overgassed mess, but loses to the KAC and Geissele. If I were given money to buy my own duty rifle right now, it would be a Geissele (whenever they start offering a full rifle with the URGI upper to civilians, which should be soon. Trust me, it's awesome), BCM, or PWS. I wouldn't complain if I were issued a colt rifle, but I wouldn't intentionally pick it either. I don't know if their reasoning for doing this was political or not, but overall it was probably a good move. They are priced out of the market for QPR, don't have to take any political stance at all, and their rifles that have been languishing on shelves will probably sell out now. In a few years they can start releasing limited numbers of the same rifles at Daniel Defense prices and they will sell out.
    Last edited by Cassius; 9/21/2019 8:59am at . Reason: Fuzzy memories
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

  8. #1298
    King of The Island of Misfit Toys supporting member
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    8,850
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    One thing I have learned from Colt's withdrawal from the civilian market is how many middle aged and older shooters equate Colt with ultimate utilitarian quality and reliability. And how angry they get at whippersnappers for disparaging their Pony.

    Having actually carried one for work, I would personally put it about middle of the pack. My experience with my Colt M4A1 beats out the LWRC and H&K416 by virtue of not being an incredibly front heavy overgassed mess, but loses to the KAC and Geissele. If I were given money to buy my own duty rifle right now, it would be a Geissele (whenever they start offering a full rifle with the URGI upper to civilians, which should be soon. Trust me, it's awesome), BCM, or PWS. I wouldn't complain if I were issued a colt rifle, but I wouldn't intentionally pick it either. I don't know if their reasoning for doing this was political or not, but overall it was probably a good move. They are priced out of the market for QPR, don't have to take any political stance at all, and their rifles that have been languishing on shelves will probably sell out now. In a few years they can start releasing limited numbers of the same rifles at Daniel Defense prices and they will sell out.
    yeap. PR genius.
    The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

  9. #1299
    ghost55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    7,303
    Style
    CQC
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    One thing I have learned from Colt's withdrawal from the civilian market is how many middle aged and older shooters equate Colt with ultimate utilitarian quality and reliability. And how angry they get at whippersnappers for disparaging their Pony.

    Having actually carried one for work, I would personally put it about middle of the pack. My experience with my Colt M4A1 beats out the LWRC and H&K416 by virtue of not being an incredibly front heavy overgassed mess, but loses to the KAC and Geissele. If I were given money to buy my own duty rifle right now, it would be a Geissele (whenever they start offering a full rifle with the URGI upper to civilians, which should be soon. Trust me, it's awesome), BCM, or PWS. I wouldn't complain if I were issued a colt rifle, but I wouldn't intentionally pick it either. I don't know if their reasoning for doing this was political or not, but overall it was probably a good move. They are priced out of the market for QPR, don't have to take any political stance at all, and their rifles that have been languishing on shelves will probably sell out now. In a few years they can start releasing limited numbers of the same rifles at Daniel Defense prices and they will sell out.
    The Smith and Wesson M&P15 Sport II destroyed the market for the Colt LE6920, and colt never really adapted to the modern, feature-rich AR market. Aero Precision beats Colt in a lot of ways now. It's sad for historical reasons, but ultimately Colt did this to themselves. I just wish they would import a bunch of the cool **** Colt Canada makes. People would actually buy that.

  10. #1300

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    8
    1
    I just wish Colt would go back to making the Python and Anaconda revolvers.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in