What defines a martial artist

In my life i've taken the following arts and attained the following ranks:

Shotokan karate: Brown belt
    Shito ryu karate: yellow belt
    Judo: orange belt
    bujinkan: Shidan
    Kendo: nidan
    iaido: just started

I ask the question because i've seen many of you the common posters like perma and many others talk about what you know and you guys clearly know light years more than I do. If someone asked me about you I would say "yes he/she is a martial artist. I am not here looking for a pat on the back and have you say the same about me. But I am asking more for a general opinion as to what defines one? Is it lenght? Belt ranking? Tournaments won? What?

What do you guys think?

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Quote Originally Posted by gileanofgrey View Post
    I am asking more for a general opinion as to what defines one? Is it lenght? Belt ranking? Tournaments won? What?
    How about we keep it simple and just say its someone that does martial arts be it a white belt that just started today or the guy that has been doing it his whole life.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    street paddleboarding
    You're not a true martial artist until you get a desktop wallpaper of a weeaboo holding a sword outdoors with a trite saying written on it.

Style
    Jits
    IMO, a martial artist is the one who pursues living a virtuous life using martial arts as the supporting technology.

And what Permalost has just said, of course.

Style
    CQC
    Obviously a true martial artist has attained complete master of Kung Fu treachery!

Style
    Books & Cardio
    A martial artist is anyone who studies, practices and/or otherwise associates themselves with the martial arts.

Pretty simple.

Style
    Shotokan, Kickboxing
    Just substitute martial artist for man. And it is DEFINITELY the titties.

Style
    Mixed
    You're not a true martial artist UNTIL you have a backstory that includes martial arts training that you can't use until your absolutely darkest hour, at which point your skills will just explode upon the face of the enemy in the moment of truth with no fear or regret.

That training must also have an animal avatar, be it tiger, crane, or hamster.

Style
    Shoo Sheetzoo
    Everyone knows that true martial arts prowess stems not from fighting, but from painting fences, delivering milk while hoisting a giant turtle shell on your back, and/or chasing chickens. Also, I've heard many a butthurt chunner confirm that the people who post on this forum aren't true martial artists, so anyone who wants t3h r34l budo will have to steer clear of this webspace.

Style
    Books & Cardio
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadzu View Post
    . . . and/or chasing chickens.
    Hey, don't hate- It works for Link.

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last