Style
    judo hiatus
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    It's USA-wide, and not really that big a deal. It's not malaria or anything...

You can ID the mosquitoes most likely to carry it, just before you crush them to death. When I kill a West Nile carrying mosquito, I party.

Yeah, no big deal-

A total of 5,674 WNV disease cases, including 2,873 (51%) neuroinvasive cases, were reported from 976 counties in 48 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico (Table 1). WNV disease cases peaked in late August, with 5,199 (92%) cases having illness onset during July–September. The median age of patients was 56 years (interquartile range [IQR]: 42–68 years); 3,193 (56%) were male. Overall, 3,491 (62%) patients were hospitalized, and 286 (5%) died. The median age of patients who died was 77 years (IQR: 68–84 years).
    Of the 2,873 WNV neuroinvasive disease patients, 1,615 (56%) had encephalitis, 1,038 (36%) had meningitis, and 220 (8%) had acute flaccid paralysis. Among the 220 patients with acute flaccid paralysis, 183 (83%) also had encephalitis or meningitis. The national incidence of neuroinvasive WNV disease was 0.92 per 100,000 population (Table 2). States with the highest incidence rates included South Dakota (7.44 per 100,000), North Dakota (5.57), Mississippi (3.45), Louisiana (3.37), and Texas (3.24) (Figure). Four states reported over half of the WNV neuroinvasive disease cases: Texas (844 cases), California (297), Illinois (187), and Louisiana (155). Neuroinvasive WNV disease incidence increased with age, with the highest incidence among persons aged ≥70 years. Among patients with neuroinvasive disease, 270 (9%) died.
    The 78 LACV disease cases were reported from 50 counties in 11 states; 71 (91%) were neuroinvasive (Table 1). Dates of illness onset for LACV disease cases ranged from March through October; 13 (17%) had onset during April–June, and 59 (76%) had illness onset during July–September. Forty-four (56%) patients were male. The median age of patients was 9 years (IQR: 6–13 years); 65 (83%) were aged <18 years. LACV neuroinvasive disease incidence was highest in West Virginia (0.49 per 100,000), North Carolina (0.27), Tennessee (0.14), and Ohio (0.10) (Table 2). Those four states reported 56 (79%) LACV neuroinvasive disease cases. A total of 76 (97%) patients were hospitalized; one (1%) died. Three California serogroup virus disease cases in addition to the LACV cases were reported, including two caused by JCV and one unspecified.
    https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6225a1.htm

Style
    Mixed
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    Yeah, no big deal-
    Thanks for the supporting evidence. Yep, you're well short of the 77 median to worry about West Nile killing you. Just keep bug hunting, young man. We were born to kill bugs, baby.

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    I agree with W. Rabbit, here. There's a whole bunch of scary numbers, but you have to start out with the most significant numbers. About 80% of us are naturally immune to WNV. Of the remaining, only about 10% of those get really sick (2 out of 100 people that were transmitted WNV), and something like 0.66% (1 out of 30,000 transmitted, if my math is right) get really really sick or dead. So, the good news is even if you or I do get it, odds are it won't be much more troublesome than a mild flu or moderate cold. The bad news is that when it's bad, it's really bad.

(edit: yeah my math is wrong, stand by)

0.13% get severe to dead, not 0.66%. I based it on the 20%, not the 100%. Or, I'm in total math failure mode.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    We have it here...
    WNV, found infected horses up here.

It's more of a problem for the horses. Expensive creatures that eat money and poop generally low-quality fertilizer.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    It's USA-wide, and not really that big a deal. It's not malaria or anything...

You can ID the mosquitoes most likely to carry it, just before you crush them to death. When I kill a West Nile carrying mosquito, I party.

Tell that to horse owners...

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Going to football game to watch my kids play.

First home games, yeah me.

Will report back with shameless Dad bragging as appropriate.
    We had an exciting night at the middle school football games.
    Younger son is on 7th grade team, older son on 8th grade team.
    Younger son delivered on teams first possession. They drove down the field after kickoff, culminating with younger son catching 15 yard touchdown pass in the end-zone. Play action pass, my boy was playing wide-out. He beat the cornerback by 5 yards, so far ahead of the kid he just turned and stopped in the endzone and caught the ball. The quarter back was cool and waited to pass until the right moment.

So, our 7th grade team ended up winning.

8th grade team lost badly. They had won both previous games, first one easily, second one in last minute of game.
    This time they got out muscled by a bigger, stronger team. Came out strong, but faded as the game progressed. Ended up getting smashed.

My older boy played offense and defense. He made quite a few mistakes, got to run the ball a few times, and got two good kick-offs and one decent kickoff return under his belt. Only field goal attempt on PAT got blocked, as their defensive line just blew threw almost before the holder got the ball, LOL.

Was a great night, I have not watched football live like that in a long time. Next game is on Saturday morning !

7th grade game...

Son #2 is 3rd from left (excluding ref in the count).
    Last edited by BKR; 10/03/2017 11:45pm at .

Style
    Judo, Asian fisting
    Somewhat sore from the Sanchin testing yesterday. My sensei, happy to see more young adults joining, is making the stronger ones of us train harder, so we're doing traditional hojo undo, striking hard objects, shin conditioning, being struck in sanchin to make sure we have the right tensions etc. Bare knuckle work is becoming more common as well, which Im VERY happy about.

At work till 3, and my gym has a capoiera taster session on tonight, so Im going to check it out

Style
    Ex-Karate
    Bit of a rushed day so far , shirking from home, had to drop the car at the tyre place, only to get there and find it isn't in stock so back on Friday.... good gym session, squats, deadlifts, bench press, dips and a bit of volume work.

Now in back to back skype meetings including some late ones with folk in the US of A, so alas no French class for me tonight.....

Style
    Judo, Asian fisting
    Ok so I went to the capoeira taster. JESUS CHRIST

I don't think I've had a stitch in a long time. I felt like I was pushed very hard all the way through. We did a warm up for 15 minutes before class which was circuit style training involving crab walks, sprints, cartwheels, au's (the air flip things) kicking pads AND the heavy bag. Everyone was dripping wet. We then got onto kick work for the armada, hitting pads etc.

We split into partners and drilled kick work by dodge and retaliation drills, before going over applications of thrust kick and head kick work. We then broke down some ground mobility work to go for sweeps, this was then half way through the lesson, so back into 10 minutes of more circuit training, which was again, brutal (constantly kicking pads till we had done 20 armada's from jinga, into 40 cartwheels each way, before 100 reps of kicks with both legs on the heavy bag, before some BJJ style work to vault over a grapple dummy from side control to side control, then back to kicks)

after this, we worked on free movement drills by lining up heavy bags on the floor and having to work combinations of flips, cartwheels and jumps to get over them and practice flowing movement without stopping.

I have nothing short of respect for the teacher and what i learnt tonight. We might have only done two kicks but we worked ourselves hard.

I've just finished a basic stirfry now, Im sweaty, tired and for some reason, I feel looser than I have in a long time. This was worth it.

Style
    Mixed
    Tell that to horse owners...
    I'm a former horse owner. I worried more about clean hooves and woodchuck holes than skeeters.

Is there some mass of horse deaths I'm not aware of? Seriously...I love horses and if mosquitoes are killing them off, I'd like to know so that when I smash them, I can do it for the horses.