1. #511
    Evergrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Richmond, California
    Posts
    2,064
    Style
    Kyokushin
    Decided to wash it after all, with a bit of vinegar added to the soap. Might keep it fresher, longer, if I remember to hang it to dry after I get home from class tonight.

    Faced the music, took friend to hospital, turns out he has to take some sort of chemo drug as well today. :( He was quiet and kind of down, which means it's really bad, because he is rarely ever like that, even on prednisone, which he apparently has to take for the rest of his life so his kidneys aren't rejected.

    Said good morning to the gas station clerk today, asked her how she was, got a heartfelt and genuine reply, which I appreciated, so I gave one back. She wished my friend well.

    The other attendant said "lord JESUS stand beside him" while putting cigarettes away. I wasn't offended, it was an earnest sentiment, not a judgy one. I was touched. They all wished him well, actually, all three employees that were there.

    Head shrunk. Also, shrink fed me some chicken, heh.

    Cleaned the cat box. As The Onion put it, "Cats: for when you want to have boxes of **** in your home."

    Waiting to throw uniform in the dryer so that I can pass out for an hour or so, body willing. Odds of me forgetting my gi in the dryer are pretty even, though.

  2. #512
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Vale of Shadows
    Posts
    12,097
    Style
    Mixed
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Masters degree would be a thesis, not a dissertation, you fat ****...
    Colloquially in our part of the world, most of the time yes. Not always.

    Globally, and historically it varies.

    Disputatio, dissertatio, exercitatio/exercitationes, and thesis/theses are all Latin used throughout the world and history to describe the process for all types of graduate-level degrees, including both Master's and Doctoral tracks.

    The key difference in terminology comes from the fact that thesis ("to put down") implies something written, versus dissertation which implies debate/discussion in addition to writing a treatise of some sort.

    A "doctoral thesis" is essentially a dissertation since it includes both written and verbal components, and requirements for a dissertation or "disputation" ie verbal defense of a Master's degree thesis is not uncommon, either.

    I will be writing my own doctoral thesis...any day now.

  3. #513
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,194
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Colloquially in our part of the world, most of the time yes. Not always.

    Globally, and historically it varies.

    Disputatio, dissertatio, exercitatio/exercitationes, and thesis/theses are all Latin used throughout the world and history to describe the process for all types of graduate-level degrees, including both Master's and Doctoral tracks.

    The key difference in terminology comes from the fact that thesis ("to put down") implies something written, versus dissertation which implies debate/discussion in addition to writing a treatise of some sort.

    A "doctoral thesis" is essentially a dissertation since it includes both written and verbal components, and requirements for a dissertation or "disputation" ie verbal defense of a Master's degree thesis is not uncommon, either.

    I will be writing my own doctoral thesis...any day now.
    Thanks for the dissertation...

    I had to do a oral defense of my masters thesis.

    It usually takes a while to write a thesis, doctoral or masters...you mean, you are about to start ?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  4. #514
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,194
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
    Decided to wash it after all, with a bit of vinegar added to the soap. Might keep it fresher, longer, if I remember to hang it to dry after I get home from class tonight.

    Faced the music, took friend to hospital, turns out he has to take some sort of chemo drug as well today. :( He was quiet and kind of down, which means it's really bad, because he is rarely ever like that, even on prednisone, which he apparently has to take for the rest of his life so his kidneys aren't rejected.

    Said good morning to the gas station clerk today, asked her how she was, got a heartfelt and genuine reply, which I appreciated, so I gave one back. She wished my friend well.

    The other attendant said "lord JESUS stand beside him" while putting cigarettes away. I wasn't offended, it was an earnest sentiment, not a judgy one. I was touched. They all wished him well, actually, all three employees that were there.

    Head shrunk. Also, shrink fed me some chicken, heh.

    Cleaned the cat box. As The Onion put it, "Cats: for when you want to have boxes of **** in your home."

    Waiting to throw uniform in the dryer so that I can pass out for an hour or so, body willing. Odds of me forgetting my gi in the dryer are pretty even, though.
    I like to hang my judogi in the sun, makes it smell very fresh, and seems to not get so funky so fast...

    I used to live in Texas, and we did judo all summer, no AC, temps 100+ degrees. Sweating through a uniform plus soaking the belt wasn't unusual, LOL. Sometimes we would go straight from work (in the summer time, paint and body shop) to judo, take a shower at the YMCA. Like from frying pan into the fire...

    So, I take it this song might apply to you ?

    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  5. #515
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Vale of Shadows
    Posts
    12,097
    Style
    Mixed
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Thanks for the dissertation...

    I had to do a oral defense of my masters thesis.

    It usually takes a while to write a thesis, doctoral or masters...you mean, you are about to start ?
    I've written a lot already, it's just time to start collating and editing the material. I've got a few hundred pages of raw material. Most of my actual research ("Semantic Web" Ontology) was completed a long time ago, but only at a master's level. I need to complete a doctoral track, expand on that research, and build a defensible thesis. Most of my research centers around problem solving by reducing complex data and pattern into simpler ones.

    Love to bore you someday with my actual research.

  6. #516
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,194
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    I've written a lot already, it's just time to start collating and editing the material. I've got a few hundred pages of raw material. Most of my actual research ("Semantic Web" Ontology) was completed a long time ago, but only at a master's level. I need to complete a doctoral track, expand on that research, and build a defensible thesis. Most of my research centers around problem solving by reducing complex data and pattern into simpler ones.

    Love to bore you someday with my actual research.
    So, which university are you going too ?

    And I was bored at "Semantic Web" Ontology), LOL, so mission accomplished !
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  7. #517
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Vale of Shadows
    Posts
    12,097
    Style
    Mixed
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    So, which university are you going too ?

    And I was bored at "Semantic Web" Ontology), LOL, so mission accomplished !
    NO comment. I will say my graduate work to date was at one of the six senior military colleges. If your Google fu is good enough, you can easily find the one.

  8. #518
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,194
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    NO comment. I will say my graduate work to date was at one of the six senior military colleges. If your Google fu is good enough, you can easily find the one.
    So, if you are not currently enrolled in a graduate program, pHD track, I just wonder how you are going to get your doctorate...unless you are just writing a dissertation for the heck of it.

    Come to think of it, do you even have a master's degree ?

    Oh, and good night, I'm heading north to do some Judo.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  9. #519
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Vale of Shadows
    Posts
    12,097
    Style
    Mixed
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    So, if you are not currently enrolled in a graduate program, pHD track, I just wonder how you are going to get your doctorate...unless you are just writing a dissertation for the heck of it.

    Come to think of it, do you even have a master's degree ?

    Oh, and good night, I'm heading north to do some Judo.
    Yes I have a master's degree. Also completed a lot of graduate work towards a doctorate, but I'm still trying to pick a program. Just a matter of time now, and lots of editing work. The classes themselves are the easiest part (I could teach them).

    I've approached a few places with regards to a work-related research path...might be as few as three years shy based on my work to date (I don't have to start from scratch basically).

    I won't lie, Bullshido has been part of my research, but it's not like what a lot of people claim (psychology, social network research crap). My realm is information assurance, the integrity of data used to make decisions, how to vet intelligence using fuzzy logic, and so on. That's where the ontology comes in, semantic markup of data...zzzzzzz

    Yes, you've all been part of my big mad 8 year old science experiment (a common claim, I know). But I chose this martial arts site specifically because of the value of its data, and the ENORMOUS amount of noise, misinformation, and outright disinformation surrounding this particular subject.

    The thing that started it all? I was Googling "ninjutsu" one day around 2007, and found out Masaaki Hatsumi was a bullshit artist! Rocked my world.

    I was hooked.

    That and my love of martial arts made it a perfect marriage. I started taking notes that day.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 5/14/2015 7:21pm at .

  10. #520
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,247
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    3
    Did I mention I am six feet tall and sexy as all hell?

    I am working on my bachelors degree. Have owned one successful business and one that failed due to a terrible choice of business partners. I am also hung like a immodest zebra.

    ...

    but today ... it was simple Algebra for Statistics and Business Practices 190. Math is a strong point, but professional business practices? Did I mention my penis size?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bezmond View Post
    Attachment 16803

    I might be a fat ****, but I ain't no dumb ****.
    Oh god ... is that BlackBoard? You poor fellow ...
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 5/14/2015 10:40pm at .
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in