Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    , but not as comforting the fact I have taken off the front sight so there will be less pain when the bear shoves the handgun up my ass...
    Congratulations on winning the interwebz .

I read a story or two about grizzlies being found with .38 bullets in their pelts that were years old when they were killed with a high caliber much later.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Congratulations on winning the interwebz .

I read a story or two about grizzlies being found with .38 bullets in their pelts that were years old when they were killed with a high caliber much later.
    The only way it will work using a .357 is a CNS hit, brain-pan or spine, hard-cast lead bullet or FMJ. Even a .44 or .454 Casull, et al will need to be a CNS to stop a short range attack by a grizzly/brown bear.

If you want to get an expert opinion, look up Phil Shoemaker. He recently stopped a grizzly charge with a 9mm semi-auto pistol... and I mean the bear died, and no humans were injured other than everted anal sphincters.

He has carried .357 magnums, and I believe his daughter, who is a hunting guide in Alaska, still carries one as well.

Of course he is a Vietnam combat vet with ice-water in his veins and an expert shot, and expert on bear behavior.

Personally, I don't want to have to shoot a bear in self defense with anything.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    The only way it will work using a .357 is a CNS hit, brain-pan or spine, hard-cast lead bullet or FMJ. Even a .44 or .454 Casull, et al will need to be a CNS to stop a short range attack by a grizzly/brown bear.

If you want to get an expert opinion, look up Phil Shoemaker. He recently stopped a grizzly charge with a 9mm semi-auto pistol... and I mean the bear died, and no humans were injured other than everted anal sphincters.

He has carried .357 magnums, and I believe his daughter, who is a hunting guide in Alaska, still carries one as well.

Of course he is a Vietnam combat vet with ice-water in his veins and an expert shot, and expert on bear behavior.

Personally, I don't want to have to shoot a bear in self defense with anything.
    Some guides are good enough to break the neck, or put it right behind the ear, at will even on moving (including charging) game.

(I am not really referring to their pistol work, but their handling of their preferred long guns).

I know some people that have that level of consistency with their marksmanship,

and I make a point to be very respectful when we are around each other in boots.

Farmers and hunting guides are God and King on their own land.
    Last edited by WFMurphyPhD; 1/17/2017 1:18pm at .

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Some guides are good enough to break the neck, or put it right behind the ear, at will even on moving (including charging) game.

(I am not really referring to their pistol work, but their handling of their preferred long guns).

and I make a point to be very respectful when we are around each other in boots.

Hence the metaphorical filing off of the front sight of my GP100...

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ

Screw the bears, you guys have bigger issues...

Style
    Screw the bears, you guys have bigger issues...
    As you know, don't let that "I am a slow lizard, don't mind me" routine fool you.

When they want to move fast, they are quicker than us by a fair margin.

If you can get and afford the tags, Gator hunting combines all the best fun of fishing with the best fun of hunting.

Frogging and Bow-fishing do too,

but as Gator is big game that can give you a fun picture,

fill your freezer with meat,

start the process of getting some very nice boots

and make you some money all at the same time,

it is a very fun activity.
    Last edited by WFMurphyPhD; 1/17/2017 1:57pm at .

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member

My father is an experienced hunter. My uncle (Dad's younger brother) was rich but had never hunted a day in his life. He's no longer with us.

Anyway, he was feeling generous and hadn't hung out with my Dad for a while so he decided they should go on a trip and he'd foot the bill. He asked my Dad where he wanted to go and he said he wanted to go bear hunting in Alaska. So they went.

Again, he had never hunted. He had done a little shooting but no hunting. Never killed a squirrel, a deer, a duck, a dove, a raccoon. Nothing. The first time he ever pulled the trigger while hunting, he dropped a ten foot Alaskan brown bear at a distance of 18 feet.

Now obviously, that was no self defense situation. The bear never knew they were there and there were multiple people in place to finish the bear if he couldn't. Still, I think that story is hilarious.

Style
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    My father is an experienced hunter. My uncle (Dad's younger brother) was rich but had never hunted a day in his life. He's no longer with us.

Anyway, he was feeling generous and hadn't hung out with my Dad for a while so he decided they should go on a trip and he'd foot the bill. He asked my Dad where he wanted to go and he said he wanted to go bear hunting in Alaska. So they went.

Again, he had never hunted. He had done a little shooting but no hunting. Never killed a squirrel, a deer, a duck, a dove, a raccoon. Nothing. The first time he ever pulled the trigger while hunting, he dropped a ten foot Alaskan brown bear at a distance of 18 feet.

Now obviously, that was no self defense situation. The bear never knew they were there and there were multiple people in place to finish the bear if he couldn't. Still, I think that story is hilarious.
    I have had people tell me that bear meat is not the best.

I would like to find out for myself one day...

For now, an Alaskan brown bear hunt remains on the bucket list.

Maybe I will start with a black bear hunt sometime in the next couple years.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    I have had people tell me that bear meat is not the best.

I would like to find out for myself one day...

For now, an Alaskan brown bear hunt remains on the bucket list.

Maybe I will start with a black bear hunt sometime in the next couple years.
    I've never had bear meat.

He had that fucking thing fully mounted and put it in his living room. They packed up a **** ton of big rocks and logs from the beach where he killed it and shipped it all back to the east coast.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post

"This hunting **** is a piece of cake..."