Page 3 of 913 First 12345671353103503 ... Last
    Style
    Kyokushin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Seriously?
    What is the device called, if you don't mind sharing?
    I dunno, they just call it "the LEDs." It's these pads with rows of red LEDs on them that generate some heat. Supposedly in improves circulated and penetrates an inch and a half into the body and aids in healing. I am skeptical but this place is where my surgeon sent me after my knee surgery, and I love their pool, which is like a giant hot tub you can swim and float around in for as long as you want. Also, the massages are nice. So I put up with the LED weirdness. Lemme see if I can find it...

I guess it's this kinda thing.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/55...orts-injuries/

http://www.solsantacruz.com/s/wrp-Ph...-equipment.gif

Style
    Kyokushin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thing looks like some grade A bullshit though. http://www.light4beauty.com/products.html

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
    I dunno, they just call it "the LEDs." It's these pads with rows of red LEDs on them that generate some heat. Supposedly in improves circulated and penetrates an inch and a half into the body and aids in healing. I am skeptical but this place is where my surgeon sent me after my knee surgery, and I love their pool, which is like a giant hot tub you can swim and float around in for as long as you want. Also, the massages are nice. So I put up with the LED weirdness. Lemme see if I can find it...

I guess it's this kinda thing.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/55...orts-injuries/

http://www.solsantacruz.com/s/wrp-Ph...-equipment.gif

Cool, i'm familiar with the concept but the evidence/premises seem spotty at best.
    While i wouldn't try to undermine your provider/patient relationship, as a patient you have autonomy, meaning you have a say in what therapies you are going to receive.
    If you find it positive in any aspect it probably has value in your healing process, but on the other hand if it simply annoys you don't be afraid to speak up.

Style
    Kyokushin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Cool, i'm familiar with the concept but the evidence/premises seem spotty at best.
    While i wouldn't try to undermine your provider/patient relationship, as a patient you have autonomy, meaning you have a say in what therapies you are going to receive.
    If you find it positive in any aspect it probably has value in your healing process, but on the other hand if it simply annoys you don't be afraid to speak up.
    Oh yeah, as a fattie I've learned that I have to. Otherwise, they'll say a torn knee, strep throat, a ruptured disk, whooping cough, cancer, whatever, is just me being fat and that I should lose weight. :p Lazyass doctors who will look at symptoms they would take seriously in a skinny patient will always just blame it on Teh Fats with a fat patient.

Had to kick at head height next to (not at, I don't like the idea of jail) my doctor to convince him that I do in fact exercise, lol. Now if I e-mail him and tell him to give me a prescription for something, and suggest it would be easier than having me come in, he sends it right away.

The LED thing is warm so it feels a bit like a heating pad, which is nice, so I don't mind it too much. Probably quackery but it doesn't hurt, kind of soothing, so I don't mind.

Style
    Kyokushin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know. I could show up at a lot of doctor's offices and have a conversation kind of like this:

Me: "Doctor, my leg is broken!"
    Doctor: "Nah, you just have Teh Fat. Eat less and exercise more. It's simple! Burn more calories than you eat!"
    Me: "But... but the bone is sticking out. Through my skin. Right here. This is bone."
    Doctor: "Fatty deposit! Eat less, fattie!"

Style
    None
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know if it's just a WWW* attitude that some doctors seem to have. Or if the trend in medicine for the last 20+ years has been that, "there's nothing wrong with the patient, convince them it's all in their head, and send them on their way. They're all a bunch of hypochondriacs and liars, don't belive anything they say. If it's a real problem, they'll be back. Rinse and repeat."

As for myself, I've had mysterious health complaints a good portion of my life. Pain, flu-like symptoms lasting for months, etc., and was sent to a psychiatrist on numerous ocassions. Eventually, in my mid 50's I became too sick to work, and I still had doctors claimming it was all in my head and one even asked me "why do you want to be ill?".

With much persistence, and me ordering blood work on my own, I discovered I had Lupus, and several years later my doctors finally admitted I had Lupus, and that's what has been causing some of my issues.

Doctors just seem to look for the quick easy answer to send you on your way. They don't want to dig in and find out what's really wrong. Run along kid, you bother me. Sooo... not just for fatties (I'm an amazon, 5'9", and weigh 125lbs on a good day)

Ok, end medical rant.

As for the LED thingy, it's referred to as LLLT (Low Level Light Therapy), and has been around for some time but seems to be making a comeback. It supposedly decreases inflammation, and promotes healing.

Here's a link:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4272231/

PubMed is full of kewl info on this and other thangs.

*WWW= Weak Whiny Woman. The medical theory that women are weak, and complain alot, and that's why they're in my office.
    The masters perfected Karate. What fool is there today that can step forward and perfect perfection -- From the introduction to the book "Shoto-Kan Karate-The Ultimate in Self-Defense" written by Peter Ventresca

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think we are being pretty unfair to doctors here. A lot of people that go to the doctor do so because they want prescription medication, or have some seriously minor problems. It's easy to become jaded after dealing with a lot of people that act like that. As for the weight thing, well, being obese is really unhealthy. It causes a ton of problems. So when an obese person shows up, the doctor generally wants to start with the most obvious possible cause of the problem. If anything, my experience with doctors has shown me that they don't get serious about weight **** enough. When I was 17 I was overweight and had borderline hypertension from that and the obscene amounts of stimulants I was consuming. My doctor didn't say a word.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaks Softly View Post

As for the LED thingy, it's referred to as LLLT (Low Level Light Therapy), and has been around for some time but seems to be making a comeback. It supposedly decreases inflammation, and promotes healing.

Here's a link:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4272231/

PubMed is full of kewl info on this and other thangs.
    Yes, like this bit from your link:

Clinical practice guidelines of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) in 2008 on treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome included laser treatment but carried no recommendations for or against its use because there is insufficient evidence.34 The literature on LLLT for the treatment of lymphedema, wound healing, prevention of oral mucositis, or for pain demonstrates inconsistent results and methodological weaknesses as per the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Kansas Medical Policy, March 12, 2013. More up-to-date, prospective studies, using newer treatment guidelines by clinicians, are needed to provide a complete picture of efficacy and cost-effectiveness.
    (my bold)

Style
    Kyokushin
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My blood pressure is low, my cholesterol is low, all of those things that sometimes go along with obesity, I don't have.
    What I do have is serious health issues, some of which have the SYMPTOM of obesity, none of which are caused by it. And that's the problem. Not everyone who is fat is fat because of an unhealthy lifestyle. The huge social stigma that tries to present obesity as a character flaw often causes this to be overlooked- sometimes it is a symptom, not a cause.
    And some of my health issues and injuries were ignored to the point that they became chronic because of doctors who would only look at the shape of my body, and would not accept that it was not the cause, let alone that something else might have CAUSED it.

Style
    HEMA/FMA(Hiatus)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Going to summarise Wednesday->Sunday because I didn't do much of interest.

Weds and Thurs are my nights off from training, played video games.

Friday:
    1. Renewed my lease.
    2. Met up with an old friend from South Africa on Friday, went to the gaming store, stayed strong and didn't buy model giant robots.
    3. Made the mistake of having a nap when I got home, didn't make it to training.

Saturday:
    1. Slept in
    2. Trained with a Dog Brother who's set up shop in London, fucking amazing as always.
    3. Cooked a bunch of food - dinner for Saturday, lunch for the week, dinner for Sunday.

Sunday:
    1. Worked, spent most of the day dealing with Royal Mail's "Upgrades" which broke everything.

Page 3 of 913 First 12345671353103503 ... Last