Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Thread: Newb Intro

Style
    Shoo Sheetzoo
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    You mean that you, as a Swede, do not feel some sort of pull deep down in your Nordic genes (jeans?) for Asatru?
    I mean, I can appreciate a philosophy centered around kicking ass and drinking mead as much as the next guy, but I manage to get all my plundering and pillaging needs out of my system without making up a kewl new name for myself and worshipping Marvel characters. Also, if my pagan ancestors could see me they'd all be incredibly depressed; I'm 18 years old and yet I haven't staked my claim to any womenz, I don't have my own lands and the only sword I own is a cavalry saber. In short, I wouldn't feel comfortable claiming to adhere to their ways when I suck so hard at them.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadzu View Post
    I mean, I can appreciate a philosophy centered around kicking ass and drinking mead as much as the next guy, but I manage to get all my plundering and pillaging needs out of my system without making up a kewl new name for myself and worshiping Marvel characters. Also, if my pagan ancestors could see me they'd all be incredibly depressed; I'm 18 years old and yet I haven't staked my claim to any womenz, I don't have my own lands and the only sword I own is a cavalry saber. In short, I wouldn't feel comfortable claiming to adhere to their ways when I suck so hard at them.
    Well, try harder...

oh, and at 18, don't stake claims, you have a lot more of your prime years left in you.

BTW, the "worshiping Marvel characters" comment is very, very funny!
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    FMA
    Well hopefully we haven't scared our aspiring warrior priest off. I'm curious how old he is? I've met many a dillisionsal martial artist in my time and run into a few "self taught" instructors. Friendliness and an unwillingness to bring up confrontational topics allows these guys to thrive and exist in their own world. the op can be what he wants but he seems to be on the wrong path.

Style
    Boxing/Muay Thai
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Welcome to bullshido! If you want to write about and teach martial arts you need to train under a qualified instructor.
    I should clarify that I am not expecting to be teaching the martial arts personally any time soon or any time ever-- my goal is to open a school in which martial arts are a part of the curriculum, as taught by qualified personnel. My intended role is in administration and curriculum design, which requires much less training to be qualified for.

Where are you located? Maybe we can help you find a place.
    I am in Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Good luck on that. No one really wants to read about basic techniques crushing the souls' of people who believe in magic and quackery ... well actually ...ignore me on this point. That may make an excellent action book.
    Thanks!

Who trained you with what weapon for how long and how do you and who do you "practice regularly" with currently.
    I carry a pistol. I spend as much time at the range as I can afford the ammo. I've had a couple of different teachers, but I am pretty much self-instructed at this point.

However, carrying a pistol is not always practical and it never hurts to have less-lethal options; also, pistol training is not very useful for physical conditioning.

Who is your High Priest and how long have been his initiate? Or depending on your Tradition which group are you currently worshiping with and are they aware of you desire to advance within the group to a High Priest status ?
    We do not have "high priests" or "initiates". My gyja is aware of my educational aspirations and supports them.

What are your current Academic Accolades and what are your current country's rules regarding Private Religious Academic Institutions and requirements to teach?
    I have most of a four year degree in Education. I intend to at least finish that before I start anything, if not pursue post-grad studies-- which is well more than I need, legally, and hopefully enough, practically.

These questions are not to tear you down but to give you and us an idea of where you are on your journey.
    No, it's quite alright. I shouldn't have expected anything less, here, and I am happy to admit these are long-term aspirations which I am not nearly prepared to complete.

Wait, have you guys been worshipping Oden while I wasn't looking? As someone whose ancestors were pretty into that stuff, I'm surprised I haven't heard more of this: is it a more recent hipster resurgence type thing, or has this been going on for a while?
    It's been a thing in Iceland and the US since the 1960s and has spread to Europe (and other places) since. It saw another major resurgence in the 1990s.

Well, that was fun. In the interest of those who hold to Asatro (I think we need a collective noun. Astries? Asses?), I won't assume that that website speaks for the entire community. Ah well, I guess it takes all kinds.
    Thank you, they don't. Asatru.org is the website of the AFA which is run by Steve McNallen, who is widely and correctly regarded as a racist ass; it's something of a running debate in Asatru circles as to whether or not there is a racial component to one's connection to the gods (our gods, or the gods of someone's own ancestors) and I am firmly in the camp that there is not.

---

Sorry for misposting this; I found the link to Newbietown in between when I posted it and when it was approved.

Style
    Boxing/Muay Thai
    Well hopefully we haven't scared our aspiring warrior priest off.
    I'm made of sterner stuff than that.

To answer your question, I'm 35.

Style
    Boxing/Muay Thai
    And I am much more of an aspiring author than an aspiring "warrior priest". I don't fancy myself much of a warrior at all, even in aspiration; I don't want to fight for a living, I just want to be better at it if I have to fight for my life.

Style
    MMA
    Yea I'm familiar with the Asatruar. I don't think they're into the High Priest magic stuff, but you do get the folkish odinist neo-Nazi types, and this 'Warrior path' thing... I'd be weary of that romantic shenanigans, because it's not really stable walking around with a load of weapons.

Self taught instructor stuff aside, I don't see much benefit mixing martial arts and religion. I mean whatever in your own time, but that kind of thing would be sectarian here, where martial arts have bridged cross community relations.

Style
    Kyokushin
    There's also organizations like http://thetroth.org/

Anyway, I am Asatru. Not folkish/racist/prison crap. We don't have high priests or crap like that. You will find that many Asatruar are pretty grounded, into science, personal responsibility, stuff like that. Asatruar run the political gamut, that's for sure. It is a reconstructionist belief system, rather than a new age one. Meaning, it is a reconstruction, albeit incomplete, of a traditional faith, though it has changed for modern times, as any belief system does, and should.

Me, I strongly believe in reason, science, and a society that is secular humanist in nature. I believe that training in martial arts is a fine path for an Asatruar, but certainly not the only one. I know a fair number of Asatru soldiers, BTW, and those are real warriors.

Bear in mind that the Scandinavian people of the Viking era were also known for their artistry, craftsmanship, and poetry. Oh, and superior hygiene, at least when they weren't on a longship for two months.

Asatru is a folk tradition that has elements of polytheism, animism, and ancestor veneration. It is meant to be a practical part of every day life. In emphasizes personal responsibility, community, and honor. It does not proselytize, nor is it a "one true way" sort of thing. Viking era Scandinavians were kind of unfairly given a reputation for being dickbags. I mean Iceland had democracy and ****, and until Olaf Tryggvison came along, the Asatruar and Christians got along pretty okay.

Some modern Asatru groups (kindreds) have a godhi or gythja, or a number of them. In the old days of Iceland, they were just leaders, legal representatives who knew the law, who were looked to for judicial decisions that did not go all the way to the allthing where the big court was held, and sometimes leading this or that ceremony.

Some modern kindreds are just a democracy. Or they have elected leaders.

Being a layperson is totally normal and acceptable.

Anyway, original poster- FMA isn't a bad idea for learning to use your cane, I'd wager.

Remember, you should really learn how to use any weapons you carry effectively, as well as how to stop your opponent from getting them away from you. A weapon you cannot control can and will be used against you. So carrying one around when you don't know much about it could potentially do more harm than good.

I am a disabled person who trains in Kyokushin, which is a knockdown style of fighting. It's stand-up, bare knuckle, with hard, alive sparring. I'm not always able to do everything. Sometimes I can only manage 5 minutes, depending on how sick or injured I am. But I still go, and a good dojo will accept someone who is disabled, and adjust for them, while still challenging them.

PS you kind of have to roll with things here. Don't run your mouth too much trying to be an expert unless you are truly personally experienced, and if not, and you want to offer an opinion, just be clear that you don't know and those are your thoughts. And try to not take **** personally. Also, some people here bite, and might have rabies. Get your vaccinations on time.

PS Newbietown is for introductions.

Style
    HEMA/FMA(Hiatus)
    I mean, I can appreciate a philosophy centered around kicking ass and drinking mead as much as the next guy, but I manage to get all my plundering and pillaging needs out of my system without making up a kewl new name for myself and worshipping Marvel characters. Also, if my pagan ancestors could see me they'd all be incredibly depressed; I'm 18 years old and yet I haven't staked my claim to any womenz, I don't have my own lands and the only sword I own is a cavalry saber. In short, I wouldn't feel comfortable claiming to adhere to their ways when I suck so hard at them.
    Sabres are cool. What kind do you have? Have you cut anything with it?

Also I always say that if I weren't an atheist I'd probably be some brand of Asatruar or whatever they're called.

Style
    Shoo Sheetzoo
    Well, now I feel like a bit of a dick. I hope I didn't ruffle too many Norse feathers, 'cause it sounds like a solid ethos and everything: I guess I got a little hung up on the theistic implications, like assuming that all christians believe in immaculate conceptions and all the other wackiness in the bible. I was really into Norse mythology as a kid, I kind of grew up with these fantastical stories from way back when, so I guess the thought that someone would be taking them literally kinda tickled me. I wouldn't be surprised if I agreed with a majority of the philosophy behind Asatro, just that it's been packaged differently in my case. Also, in Sweden, a fascination with more "old-school" culture, be it from the golden age in the 17th-18th century or the viking-era stuff is very often closely interlinked with white supremacist groups, so I kind of get an icky feeling on pure instinct.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Sabres are cool. What kind do you have? Have you cut anything with it?
    It's just something I bought for fun (and about 115) something like five years ago, and I'm afraid it's pretty much just been gathering dust in a corner of my room. If memory serves, it's a replica of a Cossack saber from the 18th century, but it was a while since I bought it and I know next to nothing about swords, so your mileage may vary.

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last