Page 2 of 21 First 12345612 ... Last

Thread: Krav Maga Redux

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by benonmsn View Post
    I don't even....
    Your contribution is way better than Holy Moment's, so don't feel too bad.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    BJJ, MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Here is a Krav Maga "Black Belt Exam". Not sure which level of black belt, but not high from what I gather from the video.

There was nothing in there that wouldn't have been in a blue belt exam at my old JJJ dojo, only they'd have expected the techniques to be sharper (and testing went for 7-8 hours).
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Style
    BJJ, Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a given.
    That's a given.

Maybe it just depends on who's teaching, and maybe they should just call it street MMA / self defense.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a given.
    That's a given.

Maybe it just depends on who's teaching, and maybe they should just call it street MMA / self defense.
    That's a given.
    That's a given.

Not that what I think matters much but from what I have seen.
    One of the best approachs to Self Defense is to have a really good sport base.
    Then work on a Self Defense mindset and show how to use that sport base in the street.
    MMA for the Street after you have gotten to the point where you should be taking on some amateur fights makes sense to me.
    The biggest issue though with this approach is weapons.
    Most sports don't use weapons they do change things quite a bit.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    Prying Mantis Kung-f, SBD
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, I've already done my part in the war against Krav Maga:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=1#post2838773

To sum that entry up: Krav Maga iz sum ***** shite.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was awarded the ability to teach Krav by one of my students. Him and his brother served in the IDF and asked permission to learn and eventually teach Krav (like they had a choice). So he ended up teaching Krav to special forces as well as the standard military.

When he got back to the states he told me his stories and said that the only difference between what I taught and what they were taught is the approach. As a matter of fact some of the techniques I had taught him were better and they adapted them.

So back in 2011 I had a Krav instructor offer to teach at my school. After watching him for awhile I realized he was teaching watered down cookie cutter techniques, and while he was passionate about it they were nothing special. In most cases he was just after the money. He put on special clinics for special techniques. My thoughts were, if they need to know it why are you charging extra? When I saw the techniques I didn't wholeheartedly agree with them. In some cases I outright thought it was a joke.

So I reexamined the situation and decided that he should not teach there anymore. I took over the program, got certified in Krav from my student and started teaching it with the philosophy of "If you're going to learn to defend somebody taking you down to the ground maybe you should have somebody who actually knows how to do it and fight on the ground...." Which was the approach to pretty much everything we've done so far.

The effective schools I've seen put their students in a competitive situation such as grappling, mma and kickboxing. Others I just don't think have a real idea of how crappy their techniques really are.

Style
    Mixed
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Krav Maga" is basically Hebrew for "fighting". So if it's good fighting, it's good Krav Maga. Bad Krav Maga is anything other than good fighting.

Style
    Jeet Kune Do
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained a bit of Krav with Omega last year. You could walk into class and hear "OK, today we're going to work on takedown defense. Everybody go get your gloves, shin guards, mouth guards and cup." Then we'd work takedowns/defenses against resistance, with striking, for practically the whole hour. Some days were more technical but a warm-up and then spar for the whole class was pretty damn common.

Obviously, not all Krav Maga schools are like that - but some good ones do exist.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Dude, I've already done my part in the war against Krav Maga:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=1#post2838773

To sum that entry up: Krav Maga iz sum ***** shite.
    I was referring to your post in this thread.

Thanks for the link.

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I was awarded the ability to teach Krav by one of my students. Him and his brother served in the IDF and asked permission to learn and eventually teach Krav (like they had a choice). So he ended up teaching Krav to special forces as well as the standard military.

When he got back to the states he told me his stories and said that the only difference between what I taught and what they were taught is the approach. As a matter of fact some of the techniques I had taught him were better and they adapted them.

So back in 2011 I had a Krav instructor offer to teach at my school. After watching him for awhile I realized he was teaching watered down cookie cutter techniques, and while he was passionate about it they were nothing special. In most cases he was just after the money. He put on special clinics for special techniques. My thoughts were, if they need to know it why are you charging extra? When I saw the techniques I didn't wholeheartedly agree with them. In some cases I outright thought it was a joke.

So I reexamined the situation and decided that he should not teach there anymore. I took over the program, got certified in Krav from my student and started teaching it with the philosophy of "If you're going to learn to defend somebody taking you down to the ground maybe you should have somebody who actually knows how to do it and fight on the ground...." Which was the approach to pretty much everything we've done so far.

The effective schools I've seen put their students in a competitive situation such as grappling, mma and kickboxing. Others I just don't think have a real idea of how crappy their techniques really are.
    Thanks for the synopsis.

Page 2 of 21 First 12345612 ... Last