Page 30 of 30 First ... 202627282930
  1. #291

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    10,142
    I admit that since we do not always live in times of war, that members of our armed services can live "the warrior lifestyle" during times of peace, depending on their training and deployment demands. For example, go out in a Navy Submarine for 6 months and you will be doing most of what you would being doing in a time of war, except sinking other ships, typically lots of sneaking around. If you are on a boomer or missile carrying boat they call it "hide with pride".

    So lets compare this to "the fire fighting life style", which I'll compare the presumable bohdi version to a volunteer fire department company. You join, clean fire engines and the fire house, get sent through fire fighter training part time (on weekends) come back, help work on fundraising dinners, deploy on an occasional fire, but more often car accidents, go through more training, (on weekends at least a couple times a month. Participate in more fire house social activities (often to raise money for the company) go out on various calls, several times a week including false alarms. The fire department becomes your social network, and you also derive self worth and some social importance through activities that resemble a fraternial organization.

    The difference is that the fire department is actually going out and fighting real fires, and providing medical aid to real people, and not simply sitting in a martial arts studio/fire department telling themselves that they are warriors/fire fighters. Go to any volunteer fire house and they will show you pictures of real fires they have fought. Can Bohdi provide similar proof of his warriorship?

  2. #292

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    623
    Style
    Autoimmune disease
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Browning View Post
    It doesn't look like there were any secrets! Soooo disappointed. Any chapter on how to keep a poly relationship going while living off both your partners, asking for a friend. :)
    Start a cult. That's just the first thing that comes to mind when I see the words "poly" plus blatant gold bricking.

  3. #293
    Hannukah Hairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Jerusalem
    Posts
    3,259
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Browning View Post
    I haven't read Bohdi's books, didn't want to pay for them. However I am curious how he defines the "warrior lifestyle". In America today where we are engaged in shooting wars it would involve being a soldier full time, (or if in the reserves going back on active duty) and training for, and presumably deploying to combat zones presumably at least once during one's career. Of course depending on one's MOS, one would be doing less or more such warrior activities. i.e. sitting in an office all day, as verses engaging in combat related activities.

    David Lowry once wrote a really good essay (which I can't find online) comparing various Japanese Martial artists who thought of themselves as modern Samurai, to a person who thought themselves a SEAL even though they had never been through BUDS, never been in the Navy, and couldn't even successfully SCUBA dive in a pool, but darn it, they "thought" like a SEAL, and could dress up like one, so who were we to tell them they were not one since the "felt" like one. David pointed out the Samurai Live Action Role Players had a similar relationship to being "SEALS".

    So if you can link us to Bohdi's definition of Warrior Lifestyle I'd be interested.
    I'm going to go with Matt Larson's definition. The willingness to close with and engage the enemy. In that respect, and I'm fairly certain he would agree with this, most people who engage in combat sports, especially those that compete would qualify.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

    "But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

  4. #294

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    10,142
    1
    I think that would make you a fighter, at least for purposes of unarmed combat and competition. I'm skeptical that being a fighter necessarily makes you a "warrior" but am open minded about this.

  5. #295
    Hannukah Hairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Jerusalem
    Posts
    3,259
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Browning View Post
    I think that would make you a fighter, at least for purposes of unarmed combat and competition. I'm skeptical that being a fighter necessarily makes you a "warrior" but am open minded about this.
    If a combat vet from the 75th and the guy who developed the Army's H2H system says it, I tend to take him at his word. Though we are all free to have our own opinions.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

    "But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

  6. #296

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    200
    Style
    Taekwondo
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Browning View Post
    I haven't read Bohdi's books, didn't want to pay for them. However I am curious how he defines the "warrior lifestyle". In America today where we are engaged in shooting wars it would involve being a soldier full time, (or if in the reserves going back on active duty) and training for, and presumably deploying to combat zones presumably at least once during one's career. Of course depending on one's MOS, one would be doing less or more such warrior activities. i.e. sitting in an office all day, as verses engaging in combat related activities.

    David Lowry once wrote a really good essay (which I can't find online) comparing various Japanese Martial artists who thought of themselves as modern Samurai, to a person who thought themselves a SEAL even though they had never been through BUDS, never been in the Navy, and couldn't even successfully SCUBA dive in a pool, but darn it, they "thought" like a SEAL, and could dress up like one, so who were we to tell them they were not one since the "felt" like one. David pointed out the Samurai Live Action Role Players had a similar relationship to being "SEALS".

    So if you can link us to Bohdi's definition of Warrior Lifestyle I'd be interested.
    Prepare for Bohdi to rock your Warrior World:

    https://thewisdomwarrior.com/warrior-lifestyle/

    Keep in mind that the extent of Bohdi's warriorship is online school teaching, getting a paper cut once, and scrubbing and re-writing his entire martial arts background at least four times when Bullshido was checking him out way back when.
    Last edited by MTTKDGUY; 12/02/2018 5:30pm at .

  7. #297

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    200
    Style
    Taekwondo
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Browning View Post
    It doesn't look like there were any secrets! Soooo disappointed. Any chapter on how to keep a poly relationship going while living off both your partners, asking for a friend. :)
    Sadly, no...that's one secret that he actually has some authority on which to speak, but so far he's keeping it to himself. Humorously, when he thanks his "wife" in the dedication, he avoids naming her...given what a shameless name dropper he is, me thinks this is so one doesn't get jealous that he's paying too much attention to the other...

  8. #298

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    10,142
    Hmmm, Bohdi has a whole writeup about warriorship and doing the right thing, protecting others, yada yada, I can think of many warriors/armys where that was not a priority. To give you 6:

    1) The Mongol Empire, against anyone who resisted them.
    2) The Spanish military in places like what is now Mexico or Haiti or Peru.
    3) The Japanese Army in China from 1932 until 1945.
    4) The US army at places like wounded knee or sand creek.
    5) The British when putting down revolts in India.
    6) Those naughty Germans in well, almost every country they invaded during WWII.

    So Bohdi's concept of warriorship, the the same as a Western Weebo's concept of the Samurai, a lot of cherry picking to find what he wants to find, with apparently no personal experience. Heck, read David Hackworth's autobiography "about face". Hackworth was definitely a warrior, as were the people he fought with, but even they couldn't be squeezed into the Bohdi rubric of warriorship, because they did not behave that boy scout way.

  9. #299

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    200
    Style
    Taekwondo
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Browning View Post
    Hmmm, Bohdi has a whole writeup about warriorship and doing the right thing, protecting others, yada yada, I can think of many warriors/armys where that was not a priority. To give you 6:

    1) The Mongol Empire, against anyone who resisted them.
    2) The Spanish military in places like what is now Mexico or Haiti or Peru.
    3) The Japanese Army in China from 1932 until 1945.
    4) The US army at places like wounded knee or sand creek.
    5) The British when putting down revolts in India.
    6) Those naughty Germans in well, almost every country they invaded during WWII.

    So Bohdi's concept of warriorship, the the same as a Western Weebo's concept of the Samurai, a lot of cherry picking to find what he wants to find, with apparently no personal experience. Heck, read David Hackworth's autobiography "about face". Hackworth was definitely a warrior, as were the people he fought with, but even they couldn't be squeezed into the Bohdi rubric of warriorship, because they did not behave that boy scout way.
    Bohdi's definition is founded in a weird sort of wish fulfillment combined with a mutual validation feedback loop. He convinces his followers that he is some sort of warrior guru, that he has the key to special knowledge and status that they can have, too, through their "special" relationship with him (sound familiar?), which involves buying his **** and telling him how awesome he is, which he rewards by creating more **** for them to buy while he tells them how awesome they are. He eliminates all dissension with a godlike stroke of his enter key, thus keeping his world pure for all his true "warriors." It's a cult, really, and a model for commerce, mixed in with a weird sort of masturbatory mental internet cosplay..."warriorhood" that can be achieved without training or risk...all you have to do is worship and feed your god, Bohdi...

  10. #300
    Ice Hole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Long Walk
    Posts
    14,770
    Style
    Mixed
    1
    I just wanted to mention how really thankful I am this holiday season that everyone here has stopped referring to him as "Dr. Sanders".

    Fake doctors are worst than fake martial arts masters, and why in the US we have regional accreditation. Bohdi's false doctorate doesn't just come from any school, but what some considered the biggest quack medical program in America.

    Selling his books or his services is illegal in numerous states because their education and/or consumer protection laws specifically call out Clayton College as a scam school (or as Bohdi called it "alternatively accredited").

    The pseudoscience peddled (along with herbal crap) by his fake doctor peers is getting pretty legendary in skeptical circles, before we even get to his later associations with known martial arts fraud artists.

    http://skepdic.com/news/newsletter76.html#3
    http://skepdic.com/robertoyoung.html
    http://skepdic.com/huldaclark.html

    The only war Bohdi Sanders fights is against common sense.

Page 30 of 30 First ... 202627282930

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in