Page 2 of 2 First 12

Style
    Shotokan

Paul Snider

Paul Snider that now calls himself a Grand Master and struts around in his 3 inch wide belt and a Gi that looks like it came out of the trash with the patches falling off is nothing but a drunk and liar. His wife That calls herself a 7th degree Master is no better with her funky colored hair and a beer in one hand with a cigarette in the other. Neither of them have the knowledge that they should have at the ranks they claim to have because if they did then they would know that there aren't cartwheels in shotokan forms. Just because they both claim to have black belts does not make them a black belt. GM Paul Snider was asked to show a weapons kate and he couldn't do it so that told me that he has no know.ledge, they are in the Martial Arts for money only, they use people and he claims to have 50 black belts under him but rest assured that he certainly wasn't the one that trained them and shared the Martial Arts Knowledge with them he tries to take black belts from other Masters and once he does tried to lock them in for all he can get and Makes them pay him for a signed certificate and Membership into his organization WVFAA. How in good faith can he sign his name to a rank certificate when he has never worked with the student or better yet doesn't even know them? He is a FRAUD plain and simple and anyone that believes a word that comes out of his mouth is a fool. If you have any dealings with him I suggest that you carry a jar of vaseline with you because you are going to need it.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    You are using very strong language which you may want to rethink especially while presenting no evidence.

Also your posts suck, please make better ones if you want to post in MABS.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
    ---Jean-Paul Sartre

AAU USAKF USANKF AKJU

Quote Originally Posted by gwconner View Post
    Here in West Virginia, Eastern Ohio, and Kentucky there is a group of notorious BS 'martial artists' who get together to promote each other and award each other fake ranks. The ringleader is 'soke' Donald R. Madden, PHD. He is head of the AKJU. He has no legitimate advanced rank that he can prove, and will not discuss his lineage with anyone, including his senior students. He was promoted to his current rank by HIS OWN STUDENTS! That just screams fake. In my own research, I cannot find anyone legitimate who has taught him. He was awarded his Nidan in karate by Katsumi Niikura, the charlatan on Youtube who knocks his students out and tosses them around the room with his CHI POWER! Look him up on YouTube, the videos are HILARIOUS! ‘Master’ Sin The, of Shaolin Do cails to be the legitimate grandmaster of shaolin kung Fu. Unfortunately for him, he was forced to admit in court that he simply made it all up when he was sued by his own brother! (Look it up on Bullshido,net and google. The court transcripts are hilarious) Basically, if they have AKJU, Ko Sutemi Seiei Kan, WV Fighting Arts Association, or Shaolin Do in their lineage, I wouldn't take them seriously. Most of these jokers claim rank and training that are chronologically impossible. One of these nuts, Steve Colkett actually claims to be grandmaster of 11+ different styles, lol. They form fake 'Hall of Fame' groups and sell plaques to each other to further their ability to dupe the unsuspecting potential student out of their hard earned income. They compete heavily, but only within their own little groups where there is no fear of facing anyone who has been trained by a competent instructor. They won't dare show up at USANKF or AAU sanctioned events where they might be forced to face actual martial arts practitioners. Their claims of studying under the great martial artists listed on their web sites are usually misleading and only made partially true by having attended a seminar taught by that person. These McDojos have been popping up more and more frequently in this area.
    For those potential martial artists seeking a legitimate and qualified instructor:
    · Research local Dojos via Google, Facebook, etc. Perform your Due Dilligence!
    · Search Bullshido.net for the school name as well as the names of the instructors.
    · Be wary of schools with no national or internationally recognized parent organization
    · Avoid ‘Americanized’ styles (styles that were founded by the local instructor)
    · Ask what their lineage is. If they cannot trace their style directly back to Okinawa or Japan and name their founding Grandmaster, be suspicious.
    · If they claim to be national or international champions, make sure that they actually compete in legitimately sanctioned events like USANKF, AAU, or WKF.
    · If they claim to have been on the USA Karate Team, make sure it is the USANKF National Team. This is the only team that actually represents the USA in international competition. Check them out at USANKF.org or TEAMUSA.ORG (U.S. Olympic Team Official Site).
    · Ask if the instructors undergo criminal background checks, then ASK TO SEE THEM! Here in the Charleston, WV area there are several ‘reputable’ instructors with criminal convictions for arson, drug trafficking, rape, gang affiliations, etc.
    · For those of you in the WV\OH\KY area, avoid dubious instructors such as Don Madden, Paul Snider, Brent Bias, Steve Colkett, and Sin The. When people hide their lineage, it is because THEY HAVE NONE.

I know this thread is going on 4 years old with no other responses, but I recently met Soke Madden and was curious as to his background. This was one of the first posts I found which was a bit disheartening to say the least, but to give due diligence I continued to dig around for info.

As far as AAU, USAKF, USANKF and AKJU is concerned, there appears to be a lot of history here. Currently the USANKF is the current official Olympic karate federation, but it wasn't always. In the late 1980s to early 90s there was a disconnect between the USOC and the USAKF. some say it was political, others say it was disputes of priorities, but regardless the USOC and USAKF parted ways. Afterwards the USANKF became the replacement for the USAKF. That's to say that anyone who is saying they were a part of the USAKF and part of the Olympic team would be telling the truth if their tenure was before the late 80s. For Madden, there are photos of him with the US Olympic team at the olympic headquarters as their coach.

AKJU was started later after Soke Madden had more time to devote to it.

The rest of this is by word of mouth, so take that as you will, but the information has been consistent.

Soke Madden began teaching Shotokan in the 70s upon returning to the US from Japan. There was apparently a legal battle between Madden and JKA because Madden was not teaching traditional Shotokan. JKAs argument being that if it wasn't traditional Shotokan, you could not claim it was Shotokan. This was a very touchy subject at the time as Shotokan was the most well known form of karate at the time and JKA was very protective of it. As a result, Madden created a name for his style which was a mixture of Shotokan and an off shoot of Shudokan (which will be explained shortly) which is Ko Sutemi Seiei Kan.

As far as Madden's lineage, his Japanese certificates are noted to be for the karate style of Koei-Kan karate. This style was created by Onishi Eizo who opened his first school in Iyo City in the mid 1950s which would have coincided with Madden's time in Japan. Onishi Eizo was a Shihan to Kanken Toyama who founded Shudokan and who was a contemporary of Gichin Funakoshi (Founder of Shotokan). Both Funakoshi and Toyama were students under Anzo Itosu.

Reading more about how the JKA came about, the story about the JKA going after schools claiming to be Shotokan is fairly believable. There was some animosity between students of Funakoshi ( students who later formed JKA) and students of Toyama, both sides arguing who was the true descendant instructor of Okinawan karate.

All of this could certainly be hearsay. I have not personally seen Soke Madden's certificates, but looking at the history of karate from Itosu going forward, hearing the stories of what happened with Madden and the JKA, and reading about the transition of the USAKF and USANKF, it leads me to give Madden the benefit of the doubt. I have seen my fair share of bullshido during my time in martial arts, but so far, I haven't been able to find any blatant bullshido from Madden.

Page 2 of 2 First 12