Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    BJJ, AAM-KA-JITSU
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Jab or cross in karate

When I studied karate we were taught the standard boxing punches, and we also boxed sometimes.

However, I don't recall such punches in kata, and don't believe traditional karate contains those punches. The closest I can think of would be backfist as a sort of jab, and reverse punch as cross.

Can anyone confirm if they know of something along the lines of a strait jab in karate?

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty sure Wado Ryu has a straight-lead punch (basically a jab, with a vertical fist).

Style
    Kyokushin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been taught them in my Kyokushin dojo, but I haven't seen them in any Kyokushin kata.

Kata... it's a good moving meditation but honestly I think partnered drills and padwork/bagwork are better for actually learning how to fight. And even better than that is... fighting to learn how to fight.

Style
    BJJ, AAM-KA-JITSU
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
    I have been taught them in my Kyokushin dojo, but I haven't seen them in any Kyokushin kata.

Kata... it's a good moving meditation but honestly I think partnered drills and padwork/bagwork are better for actually learning how to fight. And even better than that is... fighting to learn how to fight.
    I bring up kata because it is my understanding that traditional karate was trained almost totally via kata. Kyokushin only dates to '64 (and started development in the late '50s), and according to my MA history book Japanese karate didn't spar at all until 1940.

Style
    Karate, w/ a side of judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as I know, all styles of karate include some form of kizami-tsuki (jab) and gyaku-tsuki (cross) in their kihon (basics). A strong 1-2 combination is pretty straight forward, and doesn't really need to be recorded in a kata for people to remember how to do it. Kata are meant to record and pass on more advanced techniques for dealing with specific self defense situations.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsumusha View Post
    As far as I know, all styles of karate include some form of kizami-tsuki (jab) and gyaku-tsuki (cross) in their kihon (basics).
    Kizami-tsuki is a lead punch but I wouldn't call it a jab.

A strong 1-2 combination is pretty straight forward, and doesn't really need to be recorded in a kata for people to remember how to do it.
    A proper jab-cross has as many technical notes as most moves in a kata. It may be pretty straightforward, but for the most part at karate tournaments I've been to, the jabs could use some work.

Style
    Karate, w/ a side of judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    A proper jab-cross has as many technical notes as most moves in a kata. It may be pretty straightforward, but for the most part at karate tournaments I've been to, the jabs could use some work.
    Pretty much EVERYTHING seen at karate tournaments could use some work :P

I will say that I never said karateka will throw a jab-cross as well as a boxer. The subtleties involved in that aren't really something I would expect in karate. As long as they are powerful, efficient, and accurate, I would consider it "good enough" for self defense purposes. If you want to become a great puncher, you should absolutely take up boxing.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post

Partnered drills are a type of kata. Not the formal kata you have to learn for promotion, though.

It's the same in Judo...kata is any sort of pre-arranged kind of training. So if you and your training partner both know what is happening before you do it and stick with your roles,then that is kata-a form of training, not just formal sequences done solo or together.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Goju Ryu/Balintawak Arnis
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Kizami-tsuki is a lead punch but I wouldn't call it a jab.

kizami tsuki does in my experience vary from a straight lead punch right up to a jab, depending on the style, school, and individual

but I'll also agree most karateka are not the best punchers.. especially with uppercuts, there seems to be a tendency to extend the arm early which opens the face

I and my school are probably biased on all of this though because we only really drill boxing style punches for sparring or partner training, because our head coach was a boxer and kick boxer for a long time; in addition we prefer kickboxing footwork due to the parallels in balintawak

Sent from my GT-I9100

Style
    Kyokushin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The standard boxing punches don't generally show up in kata, since kata is meant as a record book of drills for close quarters civilian personal protection, and as such tend to have a slightly different focus. They're like a mnemonic device. That said, any school that is teaching fighting (which is different from personal protection) had better include these fundamentals.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last