Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    15

    Would you study kickboxing from a fat guy?

    There is a guy in nyc that runs a kickboxing guy. He is this short guy with a big pot belly. He competed once in a kickboxing match and was destroyed by his opponent. A few of his students won some competition but that is a given. Own a gym with good facilities and you are bound to have a few winners. I have seen crappy teachers have winning students. Would anyone study kickboxing from an overweight, out of shape guy, that competed once[and got his ass handed to him] and is making his pockets fat from prostituting the arts?

  2. #2
    I wouldnt. Having said that i have to say that good competition fighters dont always make good teachers. Teaching martial arts is a different artform than actually fighting. When looking for a teacher i dont necessarily search for a world champion but it is important to me that the teacher has competition experience (one fight is not enough IMO). Teaching experience is very important and education as well. I thing that a good martial arts teacher should have a lot of experience, the right character, right attitude. some sort of education in coaching and a good knowledge of the human body and fight psychology. But thats my opinion.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York, United States
    Posts
    6

    Gleason's Gym

    Quote Originally Posted by cool chris View Post
    There is a guy in nyc that runs a kickboxing guy. He is this short guy with a big pot belly. He competed once in a kickboxing match and was destroyed by his opponent. A few of his students won some competition but that is a given. Own a gym with good facilities and you are bound to have a few winners. I have seen crappy teachers have winning students. Would anyone study kickboxing from an overweight, out of shape guy, that competed once[and got his ass handed to him] and is making his pockets fat from prostituting the arts?
    No
    Train with me next time. No bullshit here. go to Redplanetfight.com and get more info on me if your interested in at least amateur fighting or private training. I am not doing casual Muay Thai classes at the moment.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    810
    Style
    Judo, Asian fisting
    Nowadays I take the shape my teacher is in as an indicator of how the training will be. If he's not capable of doing it himself then he's not worth ****.

    Find someone whose got both a great gym and a great fight record with other fighters under them who are winners. Thats what you need

  5. #5
    Chili Pepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,453
    Style
    Siling Labuyo Arnis
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    Nowadays I take the shape my teacher is in as an indicator of how the training will be. If he's not capable of doing it himself then he's not worth ****.
    ... within reason, depending on age. Look at Cus d'Amato when he was coaching Mike Tyson.

  6. #6
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    14,442
    Style
    street paddleboarding
    1
    If I wanted to compete in kickboxing, no. If I just wanted to train casually, maybe.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    436
    Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    ... within reason, depending on age. Look at Cus d'Amato when he was coaching Mike Tyson.
    Fat finger, I meant to upvote

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    810
    Style
    Judo, Asian fisting
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    ... within reason, depending on age. Look at Cus d'Amato when he was coaching Mike Tyson.
    That being said, I still feel Id be better training under a coach whose in shape with a decent fight record or students with a good fight record than some dude whose out of shape, fought once and lost

  9. #9
    Bneterasedmynam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    5,070
    4
    Yeah umm...none of this bullshit is worthy of "advanced striking techniques". It barely qualifies for YMAS.

  10. #10
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,753
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Yeah umm...none of this bullshit is worthy of "advanced striking techniques". It barely qualifies for YMAS.
    very true

    Adv striking ----------------> YMAS

    weeeeeeeeeeeee (also title change)
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in