FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"warrior wisdom" and why it sucks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	warriors suck.jpg 
Views:	712 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	16151
    So maybe I'm just turning into a martial arts hipster but I'm getting tired of seeing the crap regurgitated and passed off as "warrior wisdom" or martial arts wisdom. This crap is nothing new, yet it keeps getting reworded and re-presented to us and everyone just eats it up. It seems everybody is a warrior now days but how many of these guys actually go to war? Didn't warriors back in the day burn down villages and rape and kill everyone?

Here's a quote from a "Dr." and his humble thoughts:

"
    Conduct yourself in a manner that is worthy of respect and don’t worry about what others think. Bohdi Sanders
    When the true warrior is in the dojo, his bows will be slow and deliberate. You can sense the respect in his action. It is not some quick, head-bob motion which you see with so many martial arts students. These mechanical bows look more like someone just smacked the student in the back of the head instead of a true bow, and these actions contain no real respect for their instructor, their dojo, or what they are learning. It is obvious when you see someone who is bowing out of true respect as opposed to these habitual, meaningless actions.
    Respect is one of the areas that the warrior takes more seriously than the ordinary person. To the warrior, just going through the motions of bowing, without giving his action any thought, would basically be a sign of disrespect. It would be hypocritical, kind of like saying something that you truly do not mean. Bohdi Sanders ~ author of the award-winning, best-seller, Modern Bushido: Living a Life of Excellence
    Modern Bushido just won another 1st PLACE BOOK AWARD in the USA NATIONAL BEST BOOK AWARDS!!
    Modern Bushido has hit the TOP 10 FOR 79 WEEKS on Amazon.com's Best Sellers List and has hit #1 six times during that period! This multiple award-winning book was recognized by the U.S.A. Martial Arts Hall of Fame for it contribution to the martial arts and won a 1st Place Award in the 2013 National Indie Excellence Book Awards, and now 1st PLACE BOOK AWARD in the USA NATIONAL BEST BOOK AWARDS!!
    If you haven't read it yet, you can get it immediately with no waiting on KINDLE at: xxxxxxx. It is also available in paperback! CHECK IT OUT TODAY!

Signed copies and package book deals are available on: xxxxx.
    "

Doesn't this come off as quite condescending? People bowing improperly have no respect? Sure, whatever. Sit around and slowly bow to each other all day, no need to train. That's the problem I have with these guys they demand respect for their rank and bitch about how no one has respect. They hate on MMA (I'm not a MMA fanboy and don't really watch BTW, but I give credit where it's due) and generalize them all as meatheads. However it's just the opposite many of the TMA dojo are full of assholes that command respect and the MMA, BJJ, and boxing gyms I've been to are full of really layed back cool guys.

Not everyone is a warrior. If you want to say something insightful find something original to say. Can we come up with some real "warrior wisdom"? I challenge you guys to beat my warrior wisdom meeme and say something truly applicable to the "modern warrior" concept, that or come up with something funny as hell.

Name:	real warrior.jpg 
Views:	1949 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	16152

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Name:	bigpreview_asian-warrior.jpg 
Views:	1124 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	16153
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    Mixed
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Style
    Shotokan
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Name:	MAMEME.jpg 
Views:	632 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	16154

You have to work the look. supporting member
    Style
    Judo, BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Style
    MMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glad I saw this thread, because I've always thought the same after hearing **** from those on "warrior paths."

Style
    Siling Labuyo Arnis
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I despise Bodhi Sanders, Kerr Cuhulain, Dan Millman, and the rest of the spiritual warrior poseurs.

There's a few people who I would be willing to refer to as warriors, and typically, they're both mentally and physically fucked the hell up from their pasts. None would dispense pop-wisdom, and often it's in using them as an object lesson of what not to do with your life where one finds the real wisdom. A representative sample from one: "If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have treated myself a whole lot better when I was young."

Style
    Mixed
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    I despise Bodhi Sanders, Kerr Cuhulain, Dan Millman, and the rest of the spiritual warrior poseurs.
    I thought this was hilarious.

Being a warrior is no longer just a job or profession, it's a "lifestyle". Where have I heard that before..

Style
    Arnis/Kenpo hybrid
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://tgace.com/2008/10/26/thoughts-on-the-phenomonea/

I don’t want to come down too hard on the “warrior lifestyle” proponents because I can see its benefits. Epically for the teenage-twenty something male set.

I recall a couple of young guys who used to run the neighborhoods in camo/ninja garb in the 80′s honing their “warrior skills”..reading everything military, mystical and martial they could lay their hands on. Backyard sparring and training out of Stephen Hayes books to supplement the McDojo training from the local small town school. Scaling buildings, cliffs and towers because they may need these skills “in combat” someday. Wargames in the woods and waterbaloon ambush/counter-ambush attacks, hunting as “warrior pastime”/”combat drill” etc etc. It served to fulfill that need in a male of that age…a need to belong to something…a need to feel skilled..powerful..doing things that few others did and experiencing things few others experienced. Its a gateway from Boy to Man that’s lacking in our society.

As those guys got older and had a bit more money (and fewer obligations) those “games” turned into rock climbing, skydiving, paintballing, firearms and so on. Then eventually military service and jobs in education, security and law enforcement. Many people, mostly male, have that desire to be a “warrior”. To be a “man amongst men”, to be the one that people look to when the chips are down. “Feared by men..loved by women” yadda yadda. The difference is in how a person chooses to fill that desire. Those guys were self aware enough to realize where their fantasies of youth began and ended and used the skills, limit testing, technical skills and experience they gained for other “adult world” purposes (facing fear in skydiving and climbing had its role in taking risks to accomplish goals. Fitness, basic military concepts and so on all gave benefits down the road). Some guys need to actually fight and compete to get that fulfillment (MMA competitors/barfighters/motorcycle gang members). Some need the substitute of professional sports fandom, some need martial arts. None are “bad”…none are “good” in and of themselves alone. Its all about how you choose to live your life.

Eventually, I began to feel like I was leading a “Xerox life” and wanted something more “authentic” to make MYSELF feel more fulfilled. Other people may not feel that need. Or they just do this stuff as a hobby and are content with the life/profession/family they already have. Their fulfillment, contribution to society and self-worth is just as valid as the “warriors”. But we aren’t talking about them. They are well adjusted and self aware. I am talking about those who ARE NOT content with who and where they are. Instead of making the big move or the scary commitment to make REAL change in their lives to reach their goals, they grasp onto their “warrior” training at their corner dojo and walk around in their Mandarin collared silk Chinese shirts or their “psudo-uniform” 5.11 tactical clothes, ball caps, vests and “operator” dodads. I just caution people to avoid placing all of your self-worth in something without “real world” foundations.

In our niche here though (MA’s) you see some people who decide to authenticate that Xerox lifestyle by making up a history of “combat”, either street or military. Some want to “authenticate” but dont or cant commit to the sacrifice or effort that requires.

In the end I guess Im saying that we all need to look at why we do what we do with an honest eye and determine what are real motivations are. Any honest person will admit to themselves that there is always a little bit of that teenage “warrior fantasy” in themselves…from the experienced Special Forces Soldier to the MA Grandmaster…that boy in themselves that is pleased in who they have become. That’s normal. If its a monster in the closet..that’s a problem.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a Facebook page called Shihan Essence that's full of this garbage.

It goes on and on, with gushing blathering martial artists commenting about how profound the quotes are.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... Last